New aiming system is terrible.

Got back into TLD hard over the last few weeks. Really enjoying it until the last update. At first i thought the new aiming system looked great and couldn't wait to try it. Couldn't of been more frustrating then trying to hit things with the previous rifle aiming system/sight picture which i had gotten pretty proficient at regardless. 

I finally got a rifle on a new game, tons of ammo. I read two entire books on hunting + 10% skill bonus feat, rifles 100% condition, Im well fed and rested, full stamina, light load out, daylight, easy weather, ready to hunt!! 50 shots later im ready to stop playing TLD after loving it for the last few weeks. Maybe someone can point me in the right direction but unless im missing something the new rifle aiming system is the most ridiculous experience ive ever had in a game with first person shooting. 

I've fired on the same wolves and deer from as possibly close as you can get to them over two dozen times and failed to hit every time, the rounds even appear to hit the ground directly behind the deer but no hit, no blood... I've adjusted my aim to see if maybe it was my misunderstanding of how the sights were suppose to be designed but no. I resorted to save scumming to attempt to figure out wtf is going on. I've literally shot over 50+ rounds and failed to hit anything from wolves charging me a foot away to the broad side of a buck from 10 ft away.

What am i missing here?

Edited by wonglongdark
  • Upvote 3

I must say I am starting to share your sentiment, OP. I admitedly dont use rifle very often in general, but I was curious to find out. I fired up Hunted part 2, since that allows me to start the game with fresh rifle in 100% condition and 10 bullets, (9 with the one wasted on the Old bear outside). I went on a test run to see what this is about. 

I noticed the shaking when cold, which I thought was a nice touch, but I must say out of all 9 shots fired, I have missed 8 of them on deer at various distance, and on 9th shot I was able to hit rabbit at very close distance of about 3 ingame steps. If this is distance neccesary to hit something with rifle on begginer´s skill, it will make the rifle unusuble without studying the books on firearms throroughly.

I will use more fresh challenges to try and figure out the inner workings of this new update, but my first initial feeling agrees with the findings of OP - the new rifle system seems very difficult (which IMHO is something I like, assuming I can figure out how it works and use it efficiently after I figure it out)

Edit: On the second try, I am slowly getting the hang of it. Second game, I actually got mauled by the old bear, so this time I was testing out the try when down to 15% of condition, the damage to condition seems to influence bobbing, altough only slightly (could also be that this was done because the mauling reduced my fatigue to about 85%).

Turns out that they changed what is considered the "tip" of the sights. Used to be that in order to hit , you would aim the very top of the sights to your target (yellow dot in the picture) and that was the area where you would hit. Now, the "hit" area seems to be hidden behind the steel tongue of the sights, about 1 tenth down the sight (red dot in the picture).

20190507225101_1.jpg.c7a36881ab21c2eacf6c0d7821c91dc9.jpg

Try that out, see if that helps improve the quality of your shots.

I like it. More realistic this way, Id say, also more challenging because you have to determine a bit better where the shot goes by your experience, since its partly obstructed by the steel tongue of the sights.

Edited by Mroz4k
  • Like 2

Not to hop on this bandwagon too hastily, because I like most of the new system ... but as for chance to hit / HOW to hit ... my shooting is the worst it's ever been in TLD.

The front sight seems uncharacteristically wide. I know I'm used to that fine point, but to have it replaced by something so broad and flat-topped is confusing.

I've hit one target that I've intentionally shot at... of about 20 shots I've attempted. And that includes one of my classic "shoot at a wolf's face while it's charging" sure-shots.

I missed.

So far, "Your misses will make more sense than they used to" and "You'll sprain less than you used to" are not working out for me at all. "But the mechanics are deeper" isn't doing it as a justification for either at this point. Maybe I'll adjust, but as of right now, I'm so annoyed that I'm posting about it here. Which isn't normal.

-H

• Like 1

Read the idea of shooting at a sign to see where to aim and did it by myself. It's long ago that I have handled RL weapons, but aiming as in the first screenshot I'd expect to hit the crossbar of the "A", correct?

screen_f9dfeae4-7626-4ba4-9224-d61e6ee875bc_hi.thumb.png.3eb9893147dc7a5dc1ec7495ac2f21ef.png

This is where the shot went...

screen_b3cd5715-39fb-4b03-b946-e8cf4117661a_hi.thumb.png.98050dd53be51617e16cb9d9f9a9977f.png

• Upvote 1

Aiming is not working for me either. With L4 rifle, warm, full condition, crouched and close, I took a head shot at a dear. Missed! I never miss. Ever! It took 3 more shots to bring it down finally. Usually I get instakill on first shot.

Same with the bow at L5.  took a dozen shots at the PV target with arrow landing all over the place.

My only wolf test with the revolver was walking up to growly guarding his (my) deer and shooting him in the face. Should have dropped him right there but it only wounded him. No idea where the shot hit.

With any change we have to give it time... for the player to get used to it and for the Devs to fine tune it, tweak it, and bug fix.

The shooting mechanic is more nuanced now, and there are likely some pesky bugs that go along with that.  Some of it will take practice on our part, some will take adjustments on Hinterland's part. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, atomic said:

Read the idea of shooting at a sign to see where to aim and did it by myself. It's long ago that I have handled RL weapons, but aiming as in the first screenshot I'd expect to hit the crossbar of the "A", correct?

screen_f9dfeae4-7626-4ba4-9224-d61e6ee875bc_hi.thumb.png.3eb9893147dc7a5dc1ec7495ac2f21ef.png

screen_b3cd5715-39fb-4b03-b946-e8cf4117661a_hi.thumb.png.98050dd53be51617e16cb9d9f9a9977f.png

Jesus, that's awful.

So there IS definitely a problem with the reliability of aiming, now.

• Upvote 1

On ‎5‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 5:04 AM, atomic said:

Awesome idea to test it, but only part of what can be used. Need to take 3 series of 3 shots. Each series needs to be "averaged", and then the 3 averages can be compared. I haven't gotten a chance to use the rifle yet since the new update, but just going off the picture it appears that your front sight post is low in the rear sight aperture which would cause a low shot. If I can get some time today and find the rifle in my current new playthrough I'll try to create said aiming exercise. That's if someone doesn't beat me to it in the next 7 hours lol.

Not sure if people have been having issues with the revolver, but I've shot 6 or 7 shots so far with the revolver with Level 1 skill. Only missed 1 shot so far. Always do my best to only fire when the front site is level and centered in the rear sites. Is it possible a lot of the problem that is happening is because people are used to the old system and now are just having trouble with the new one?

Edited by justyr1

Just a heads-up that we are keeping an eye on shooting mechanics, to see what might be going on there, and will release a hotfix later on. We will update everyone here and on the usual channels when it's up.

• Upvote 3
  • Like 2

I'm not having a big issue with it.  The sights on the rifle do seem to be a little off.  I think one factor is aiming fatigue.  You really can't take too long to aim.  The longer you take to aim, the more likely it is that your character drops the gun slightly when pulling the trigger (actually starting the animation of lowering the gun completely just as you pull the trigger).. which makes sense to me since the rifle is heavy.

I haven't tried out the bow yet.

Edited by UpUpAway95

(late to the party but...honest question) Is anyone sure the game isn't just taking bullet/projectile-drop into account?  (I mean, granted it probably shouldn't be that dramatic at such close range - just curious if that's a factor) 
I mean either way, it's getting re-tuned... it's just something that crossed my mind.

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

On 5/10/2019 at 4:00 PM, Admin said:

Just a heads-up that the Rifle and Bow aiming fix should hit this upcoming Monday or Tuesday (Pacific time).

Thanks Hinterland!

you guys always listen! And you are fast fixn'

On 5/10/2019 at 6:12 PM, DarKube said:

@wonglongdark You find the new aiming system difficult difficult ?! Seriously !

First try, 3 rifle bullets : 😜

moosekillstaedfastupdt.png

I started an Stalker run and killed a Bear with two shots. That's not the point, I was lucky. Since then I've been missing sure shots over 50%.

Hinterland is going to fix it, so it looks like there's something wrong with the new aiming system.

I, for sure, completely agree with OP.

• Upvote 1

Okay, I give up. I mean, I really tried. I think it´s getting worse. Maybe TLD is bugged for me or something :( The only chance to kill a deer now, is to make them panic and run towards me *g*

Edited by Alone

Since v1.50 I have been wanting to test the new aiming adjustments, unfortunately, in very long Voyager game I have had so few attacks recently I can not give a definitive assessment.

However, in v.1.48 I was missing quite a few rabbits and wolves, which was not normal.  In v1.50 I seem to be hitting them again, with bow and arrow. It is ironic that I am wanting to be attacked by a few wolves and there are hardly any wolves around.  It is crazy that I dislike killing rabbits only to test changes in the game. I have to tell myself that it is just a game and it doesn't matter if I kill wildlife.  I have not tested rifle and revolver aiming. Both of those are very poor weapons compared to the bow and arrow.  I presume that the rifle and revolver can do their job, but they are heavy.  The bow weighs 0.50Kg and arrows are reusable.  It is a much more effective weapon when you take into account the load that you can carry.