The Long Dark Survival Mode Updated to V1.48 -- STEADFAST RANGER

Admin

I have found the revolver in my favorite place in Mystery lake, by the corpse in the cave at Lake view vista. I went there to catch some coonies. Found a corpse in fetal position, revolver lying right below its hand, it looked like it was dropped by the man during the death.

When I found out the revolver was half-loaded, I had an instant realization of dread. Maybe it was just unfortunately designed, but the suggestion in that situation is very strong...

A corpse in fetal position, with a hand to the side with opened grip, the half-loaded revolver lying right below. The indication here saddens me, but it is a part of survival too, I suppose, better to go quickly then to bleed out slowly, I guess.

This game sometimes has very powerful moments, and I wonder if this one was designed as such by mistake or not. This was no doubt the strongest moment for me in this game in a while.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Guest kristaok
8 minutes ago, Mroz4k said:

I have found the revolver in my favorite place in Mystery lake, by the corpse in the cave at Lake view vista. I went there to catch some coonies. Found a corpse in fetal position, revolver lying right below its hand, it looked like it was dropped by the man during the death.

When I found out the revolver was half-loaded, I had an instant realization of dread. Maybe it was just unfortunately designed, but the suggestion in that situation is very strong...

A corpse in fetal position, with a hand to the side with opened grip, the half-loaded revolver lying right below. The indication here saddens me, but it is a part of survival too, I suppose, better to go quickly then to bleed out slowly, I guess.

This game sometimes has very powerful moments, and I wonder if this one was designed as such by mistake or not. This was no doubt the strongest moment for me in this game in a while.

Oh no... you think he ended it? that's so sad. :/ I will cry if I see this. :( 

You are very observant I don't know if I would have put those together and realized it could mean that. 

I have saw some weird things though, I one time saw a dead guy that died trying to rob the bank. I also saw a dead hunter before with a bow beside him, and I saw a dead guy hanging out of the rolled up hay or whatever it was before. 

3 minutes ago, kristaok said:

I have saw some weird things though, I one time saw a dead guy that died trying to rob the bank. I also saw a dead hunter before with a bow beside him, and I saw a dead guy hanging out of the rolled up hay or whatever it was before. 

The world building they've put in to this is really wonderful.  Every place you look you can intuit a story of how it got that way, and it's masterful how they leave the little clues for us to find.  I love to imagine how "Point of Disagreement" went down.  :D 

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Am i the only one who finds the flashing red exclamation mark when on steep inclines to be really annoying?? maybe its just me but i really don't like it.... maybe if you could turn it off? besides this one seriously obnoxius icon, this update is awesome!!

Edited by Draglorr

2 minutes ago, ManicManiac said:

New hotfix should have you covered.  :) sounds awesome! i assume because of this, other people really didn't like it either? (PS: this my 2nd forum post here on the long dark forum EVER)

22 hours ago, GothSkunk said:

The new aiming mechanic seems... off.

Under the previous mechanics, I'd have been able to easily pop 10 wolves for 10 shots. Now it seems like for every 10 shots, 6 miss completely, 3 hit but do not kill, and 1 kills instantly.

Just to be clear: the idea is to line up my target in BOTH levelled sights, right?

Put the Rifle to the test again today just before dinner. I'm convinced now that the rifle aiming mechanics are unreliable.

Shots that would have been Killshots in Vigilant Flame now miss entirely. Shooting at a wolf in the dead center of my sights from 10 feet away misses high by inches. When i aim lower to compensate, I hit the ground inches from the target.

Still have not found a revolver, so no comment on that.

No comment on the aiming mechanics with the bow either... aside from "The Bow is now invisible". See attached screenshot.

Hoping this can be looked at. My rifle hunting statistics have tanked since this new update. :(

NoBow.png

Edit: Bow is visible again.

Edited by GothSkunk

On 5/6/2019 at 1:07 PM, Admin said:

* [Enviro] Updated flags to animate.

Can confirm, the flag at the hunting lodge in Broken Railroad now animates relative to the wind.

Mystery Lake Cabin's flag, however, does not.

Also, has anyone else noticed what I've noticed?

When I enter an indoor shelter to escape a blizzard, the "howling wind" sound effect immediately disappears and doesn't come back until after an in-game hour.

Also, if I exit the indoor shelter during this moment of silence, I step outside to a visual blizzard, all the wind and temperature effects of a blizzard, but no SOUND of a blizzard. It doesn't sound windy at all, in fact.

Edited by GothSkunk
  • Upvote 1

I'm glad I'm not the only one that noticed the rifle missing every shot.

But does the problem still persist at high levels of the rifle skill? I figured it was just recoil at work with an inexperienced rifleman at play.

If you know guns, this man handles the kickback of his rifle very well but with a recoil like that I'd expect an inexperienced rifleman to be jerking back with every shot, until he gets the feel of things. Especially if this is the first weapon they've ever held. I missed 4 shots aiming at the heart of a deer in mountain town (I know head shots are better but that feels too videogamey for me so yes I risk just tracking it instead) and I finally placed my shot - which was fatal- by aiming for the leg rather than the shoulder. But as I said, I started a new game and my skill is at level 1 so I can't speak for higher levels. Has anyone tested this?

As for the revolver. It works fine. I've killed 3 rabbits and 2 wolves, 1 shot 1 kill on all of them.

I'm normally a terrible shot with the rifle, so I was feeling quite pleased with myself that the first two shots I took after Steadfast Ranger came out both resulted in kills - a bear and a wolf.

Admittedly, the former was at point blank range about 1 second before I got mauled, so I couldn't really miss; but the latter was on the charge and some distance away, so I was pretty smug about that.

The third shot I took was at another bear, again at fairly close range - probably about 15 yards. He was side-on and the sights we're centered around the shoulder (I was going for the neck, but messed it up a little). That one apparently missed. I don't know what's going on.

Ok so I am new to this forum but I am a long time fan of this game since it was in game preview stage. Since the update I haven’t played more than a few hours but in those few hours I only had one complaint: the sprain overhaul. I didn’t think they were that common before, I rarely sprained an ankle or wrist, but since the update I have sprained my ankle 3 times for absurd things.

If you carry an once over you maximum carry capacity you are at risk to sprain. I am ok with this feature but I feel like I am more prone to sprains now than before the update. I sprained my ankle just picking up wood in a cabin to take it to a fireplace to start a fire. I’ve never injured myself indoors let alone moving a short distance on flat ground with a lot more weight than my limit. I felt like that was a little ridiculous. 

I like the slope indicator you get when you are at risk of a sprain too. That’s a good heads up but now I am afraid to even walk over a steep hill in fear of spraining an ankle. I feel like if I had to run up a hill to avoid a wolf I would sprain my ankle. In the video for the update it was mentioning sprains should be less common. But I feel like it is more common. 

Other than that, so far I have loved the update. Can’t wait to come across a revolver and check it out next. Thanks for making a great game, I really think this is the best true survival game out there. 

Guest Kane Parry
18 hours ago, ManicManiac said:

@GothSkunk @Kane Parry

Neither have I... cruel fate, is cruel... :D but don't lose heart.

Thanks i have found all the other new items except the new revolver 

Edited by Kane Parry

I just want to say I really don't get how others are complaining about getting too many sprains. I'm playing a new survival mode game and in 10+ in game days, my character has only gotten a sprain twice. One being a leg sprain while encumbered and traversing an obviously risky area and the second a wrist sprain from a wolf encounter that involved a knife and a neck injury as well.

I have always personally thought that areas in game that most everybody else seems to think should be 100 percent safe are potentially risky. In real life there could be rocks, holes, sticks, animal bones, or especially ice, underneath the snow on a flatish area that you cannot see that you could trip over or slip on. 

I love that we get a sprain warning on some parts of big ol' fallen trees that we traverse because you never know if you could potentially slip off or maybe the structural integrity of the tree in a spot might be bad.

I live in Washington, USA, in a city, and yet I get how certain seemingly innocent areas could be risky, especially when encumbered. IRL you could end up with a pack full of stuff that is not only heavy but might be packed in a way that would be unevenly distributed to the point that maybe in game the camera could be a little less steady to show it.

Just a heads-up that we are keeping an eye on shooting mechanics, to see what might be going on there, and will release a hotfix later on. We will update everyone here and on the usual channels when it's up.

• Like 1

Guest kristaok

The Shooting Mechanic hasn't failed me, I just Shot a Deer in the back of its head earlier and it died right there. :P 

Guest Bmack

Kinda disappointed that I am not seeing several know-it-alls using a misapplied psychological phenomenon to explain to the Devs why this hot fix wasn’t needed.  Oh well.

Edited by Bmack

3 hours ago, Admin said:

Just a heads-up that we are keeping an eye on shooting mechanics, to see what might be going on there, and will release a hotfix later on. We will update everyone here and on the usual channels when it's up.

Whilst the revolver aiming is performing how I could expect as a user, both the bow and the rifle are aiming high to the left - that is, the shot falls low and to the right from the point of aim.
With the rifle, if you stand 20 paces from the side of an in-game mailbox and aim at the top left corner of the side panel, the shot will hit the bottom right corner.  That's about an 8 to 10 degree deviation.  This is consistent over 10 test shots fired. 

The bow is suffering a similar deviation.  Shots fired head on at the forehead of a docile decoyed wolf with the bow will always graze down the right side (viewed) of it's face or graze its right side (viewed) flank.  To hit the wolf "in the face" at 20 paces, you have to aim to the left of its (as viewed) left ear tip.

All shots fired at full health and energy with no hunger or thirst, on flat ground terrain so the shot trajectory should have been level flight.

Further deviancy can be seen in how wolves react to being shot - I recommend you watch the first eleven minutes after this timestamped video point - I am not the only streamer/youtuber who has presented this same wolf behaviour in online content. 

https://youtu.be/VCEaeacK_wU?t=12445

• Upvote 2

Guest kristaok

That's odd because I have still been killing Deer with the Rifle (no issues with Aiming), and since the Sprain Update thingy I haven't had any Sprains unlike before the Update I was having tons.  :) 

Edited by kristaok