Candles

Dougie

Guest kristaok

This has been suggested a lot, I would also like to see Candles make an entrance into TLD.

Edited by kristaok

I was just thinking about this the other day. ...and how if my house were deserted and someone were to come into it to scavenge what they could, they'd be set for ages with all the candles I have. Emergency candles, pillar candles, votive candles, tea lights, taper candles, jar candles, seven day candles... and a ton of matches and lighting sticks to light them with.

I can’t see much of a down side to adding candles in the game, should be fairly easy for the developers. Maybe make the lantern fuel last a little longer for game play balance otherwise there is less incentive to carry it around as opposed to a stash of candles. 

Edited by Old Trapper
Grammar error

I just did some research and irl one could make candles of tallow from bear fat and cotton string.

Maybe in The Long Dark in this particular bit of the game it wouldn't be done... The Devs have said they're pretty focused on their own goals, but maybe they could consider it for the future of the IP.

Candles must be one of the most-wished-for features in TLD overall, second only to multiplayer mode (arrgh) and a sled for hauling around a gazillion items (hrrrch). I remember the devs explained at some point that candles are difficult to program as the game would need to track a potentially high number of candles burning in different places and their current status. But I may be mixing things up.