New Survival Update - STEADFAST RANGER - Coming May 6th, 2019

Admin

402724934_WolfAnimBis.gif.0757efede89c97cd14516f62b6c084a5.gif

Hello community,

We're excited to share the news that our next update to The Long Dark's Survival Mode, STEADFAST SURVIVOR, will launch this Monday, May 6th (Pacific).

The update will be accompanied by a nearly 10-minute video outlining the various new additions and changes to the game, including details about the new Revolver. The update includes several new gameplay tools, improvements to existing systems, as well as a host of bug fixes and optimizations.

This update will apply to all in-progress Survival games and should not affect existing inventories or progress. The full release notes will be included in Monday's launch.

As always, we encourage you to start a new Survival game to fully experience the breadth of changes! So this weekend is a great time to wrap up your current game and get ready for STEADFAST RANGER.

- The Hinterland Team

• Upvote 4
  • Like 9

I personally really appreciate the approach to making these announcements.  The little bread crumbs here and there were a great indication that an update was nearing completion, that we got little hints and teases more frequently told us that an announcement was going to be coming soon, and the announcement within a week of your chosen drop/release date is a great heads up.

Thank you Hinterland Team.  Thank you for everything.

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Admin said:

So this weekend is a great time to wrap up your current game and get ready for STEADFAST RANGER.

Nooooo ... just when I have a run within sight of the 500 day badge ... please don't make me rush it - I'm hooman, not a wulluf.

Looking forward to the update though and will probably start a couple of new games for it (for streaming and video making for youtube), but my existing long runs will have to continue the way they are and hope they capture enough of the new features without bugging or glitching out ... ummm ... hint ... a full reset of cattails and harvestable cloth as part of the update would be appreciated ;)

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Gazbeard said:

but my existing long runs will have to continue the way they are

Fortunately, I only recently started a new run (spawned in HRV and only got as far as Mtn Town)...  I figure I am just going to hunker down and stay in Milton for the meantime.  I can hardly wait until I can start prospecting through the other regions after the update. :D 

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

Thank you Hinterland team! I love you three thousand times. Looking forward to playing this update!

2 hours ago, Gazbeard said:

Nooooo ... just when I have a run within sight of the 500 day badge ... please don't make me rush it - I'm hooman, not a wulluf.

I in that same spot lol. 400 days into my run and it's the last achievement I need.
Well, guess I'll rush with it during the weekend.

If you really want to tease us you could release the patch notes now :)

I decided to wrap up my 100 day Interloper run. I originally wanted to do more like craft a bear skin coat (should have done that way sooner) and visited BR (last region I hadn't been to). But it was getting grindy anyways. Clothing could have been better, but it wasn't really much of a challenge anymore.

3 hours ago, Serenity said:

it wasn't really much of a challenge anymore

One easy way to up the difficulty regardless if you play Voyager, Stalker, or Interloper is to run around with several ruined raw guts in your inventory at all times...  :)  I promise that will be more challenging.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Gazbeard said:

15 hours ago, tommykneip said:

I in that same spot lol. 400 days into my run and it's the last achievement I need.

You guys can continue your survival runs, you should still have access to all the new updates, I'm guessing you just may need to re-visit some areas (like me) to find the revolver and ammo.

51 minutes ago, ManicManiac said:

The way the wolf moves now... kind of makes me wonder if they managed to MoCap a 4 legged friend.  :)

Agreed, the pursuit animation seems to be better. However, the first clip where it moves its head around is already seen in-game... no?

1 hour ago, thekillergreece said:

However, the first clip where it moves its head around is already seen in-game... no?

I think the movement is more articulated now... (though frankly I can't bring up a reliable mental picture of all the wolf animations as they exist now)
So far as we've seen, I love everything about this update.  :D 

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, thekillergreece said:

Agreed, the pursuit animation seems to be better. However, the first clip where it moves its head around is already seen in-game... no?

I may be way off here, but whenever I see a wolf it is always moving (exception being when feasting).

• Upvote 1

@hozz1235: I think @thekillergreece was referring to the current animations of them wondering around, occasionally stopping before changing direction, or to howl.  I was just pointing out that I think with the new animations seem more articulated and the movements much more natural (even showing some personality, so to speak).

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 3

1 minute ago, MarrowStone said:

Im going to miss the old rifle.

???

I don't recall seeing anything, anywhere, that says the rifle is going away or changing in any way. And I sure as heck am not going to try to take down a Bear or Moose with a revolver, no matter how big it is. Rifle will still be a thing for me, used the same way i use it now, for hunting, not dragged around with e everywhere. The revolver, depending on how effective it is, and how common or scarce it and its ammo are may become an alternative to carrying a bow ans arrows around, especially if i am low on arrows.

So, how is the rifle going to be missed, unless I am not understanding the meaning of your comment?

15 minutes ago, ThePancakeLady said:

Lol! I dare you. Post video too. :D

Well it's certainly gonna take a while, since I plan on starting a new game.  And I'm not gonna set out until I'm...

...wait for it...

..waaaaaait for it...

Loaded for bear.

• Upvote 3