realistic damage reactions (animals)

peepercreeper

so you know how you can shoot a wolf in the knee and have it still run away or wit ha bear you can shoot it in the foot and it just not care at all, what if something that causes animals shot in the leg to run slower or limp  was implemented or even fall on the ground unable to move and behave like a wolf thats feeding on a carcasse  and then lets say the fallen wolf would howl for help causing the wolves in the area to move closer not giving the player much time to finish the wolf of 

• Upvote 1

Guest kristaok

I've seen Wolves get slower right before they do, but currently they don't limp. I agree though, limping would be a nice touch. 

As for Wolves howling to call others I'm not really sure how I feel about this... 

On 4/25/2019 at 4:57 PM, peepercreeper said:

so you know how you can shoot a wolf in the knee and have it still run away or wit ha bear you can shoot it in the foot and it just not care at all, what if something that causes animals shot in the leg to run slower or limp  was implemented or even fall on the ground unable to move and behave like a wolf thats feeding on a carcasse  and then lets say the fallen wolf would howl for help causing the wolves in the area to move closer not giving the player much time to finish the wolf of 

I would really love this and I think I have even thought about it at one point, a wolf that is somewhat incapacitated and limps during bleed out. I wolf that is completely incapacitated and cannot move at all, I would guess would have to have both of it's back legs disabled (shot), I think this CAN be done in one shot if lined up correctly, especially with something like a .303. If I am not mistaken, Hinterland has new tools for animations? And if remember correctly, they want to try to create some new animations. I agree that some things in regards to this idea might theoretically be able to be "carried over" like the disabled wolf growling at you as you approach it, the audio could perhaps be taken from the audio of the wolf growling at you when it is protecting it's food. Though I would want some whimpering as well, new whimpering sounds and not the fleeing-whimpering. because I think if you were approaching a fully incapacitated wolf that you shot, it would be growling AND whimpering, right?

Now the wolf calling other wolves for help. I especially love this idea because I like the wolfs to be very dangerous to the player. My guess is that this would take some developing on how the wolves behave. There is 2 ways that I could think of as far as how to implement this. One, would be that there would have to be wolves in the area that are rendered into the game to respond to the call, this would mean that if there is no wolves in the area then none would respond. Then the other is to make a wolf spawn in the area to respond to the call. (I like the former better). Some animations might be reusable like the animation where the wolf is stalking the rabbit - perhaps that is how the wolves can approach the wolf's call, until they see you then they react as they normally would when they see you. 

I like this idea, but honestly I doubt it would be implemented any time soon because I think that they are working on the revolver and episode 3. So if it was to be implemented it probably wouldn't be until many updates later, that is my guess. But I would like to see this in the game at some point.

(I am not speaking for hinterland development priorities or capabilities but instead just giving my thoughts and guesses really. I don't know much about programming or how their game build is structured or what all is involved in development. So these are just my guesses.)

Edited by XAlaskan_420X
For clarity

• 2 weeks later...
Guest kristaok
47 minutes ago, XAlaskan_420X said:

... I don't want to spoil it but did you guys find anything in the game yet regarding animal animations? :) 

Not yet, but that's only because I just recently started a new run, and I haven't had time to encounter anything yet. 

1 hour ago, kristaok said:

Not yet, but that's only because I just recently started a new run, and I haven't had time to encounter anything yet. 

I started a new custom game in Mystery Lake. Keep playing. There is plenty of fresh new things to discover :)