A Wolf Inside a Cave!

Vince 49

I decided that my 3 region challenge, even without a rifle, was not that challenging after all.  So I tried a one region challenge in Desolation Point.  The region is smaller than most, but does have a forge and is probably a better bet than Forlorn Muskeg.  I explored Katie's Secluded Corner; Abandoned Mine #5; the Stone Church; the Lonely Lighthouse; the Riken; and Hybernia Processing, including the boat at the end of the tube and the trailers.  Surprisingly, I found a bow, a couple of arrows, a heavy hammer, but no knife and no hatchet.  Clothes were marginal.  I harvested a deer carcass by building a fire next to it, so had a decoy.  'Killed three or four wolves with the bow, so was rather pleased with my progress--until I entered the cave near the waterfall at the north end of the region.  All of a sudden, there was a wolf attacking me!  I fought with the heavy hammer, but had minimum protection from clothing and fell into the long dark.

I've played the game a lot and never seen a wolf, or any wildlife, in an interior cell.  I've heard of Fluffy in the hydro dam, but that was an earlier version.  Any suggestions on how not to die would be appreciated.  :)

Hahaha. You met Scruffy. :)

Carefully placed fires are one way to deal with Scruffy, going in with a torch or flare lit is another way to possibly deter Scuffy long enough to kill him or retreat. Lots of ways to deal with Scruffy, who is a Special Wolf, just like Fluffy, when she lived in the Hydro Dam, before she escaped and moved into an Ice Cave somewhere else. Once he is dead, he will not respawn, and he only lives in that cave, just like Fluffy when she was in the Dam, and now in her new home.

Now that you know where Scruffy lives, you are better prepared to deal with him, and go in ready to take him out, I hope. I hate to advocate killing, but Fluffy and Scruffy are the 2 creatures in the game who I feel no remorse for offing, ever.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LilWolf said:

There are some caves where there may be wolves, others where bears patrols near them. Be careful when you see bones in a cave... isn't a good sign. But hey, just as we also seek refuge in a cave, wolves do it too :P.

I believe the "caves" referenced here are just inside structures (where you zone in).

7 hours ago, hozz1235 said:

I believe the "caves" referenced here are just inside structures (where you zone in).

Well, if I'm not wrong DP has two caves and they are "outside"... or maybe we are talking about the same with different concepts.

11 minutes ago, LilWolf said:

Well, if I'm not wrong DP has two caves and they are "outside"... or maybe we are talking about the same with different concepts.

There are 2 'indoor' caves (1 cave, 1 tunnel), and one 'outdoors', usually with bones...

It's easy to remember it by this - "indoor" locations mean you go through a loading screen. "outdoor" locations are a part of the "outside" of the region, you dont have different loading screen. Even some "outdoor" locations are qualified by the game as shelters and would benefit from same, or similar, benefits as indoor shelters.
_________

Yep, there are some locations in the game that can have wolves inside. :) Not going to say where, don't wanna ruin the surprise for you :) 

First, I recommend paying attention to the surroundings - this is a good general rule for The Long dark :), and think about what those things might indicate. The cave you entered, it has a huge bone in front of it (I think its a skull with antlers) - and the interior of that cave has bones inside. This all should indicate to you that there is a danger close-by :) 

But that may not always be the case. So, when exploring caves for the first time, Id recommend using a torch to stop the wolves in advance, you can then build fires to scare them off, or you can use baits, stones and then a weapon to lure them in and kill them. 

With this particular cave, I would enter it with a bait, bow and some stones, I would throw the stones into a room before me to lure the wolves over there, have them notice me and plop the bait down, back a bit, and wait for the wolf to walk into my kill-shot.

Edited by Mroz4k

Thanks for the clarification @Mroz4k. So going back to the first reply, I never feel safe when I enter in a cave (yes, those with a loading screen :)) for first time. As I said, wouldn't be a 'surprise' to see a wolf hiding from the snow and wind. Mines and connectors, instead, are safe places. Anyway, I kinda like it. It feels a better 'survival' experience and makes the game more interesting, like something can happen at any time.

• Upvote 1