It Doesn't Smell Bad🤢🤮

Ice Hole

Want to know how a level five cooking skill enables our characters to eat food from rusty cans.  Just smell it. 

If it does't smell bad it is good to eat. 

That is not always the best advice. I am certain any of that food consumed and you will need more than a Stummy, probably a stomach pump.  Personally I consumed thirty month past yogurt.  Sealed plain high fat Balkan style.  It is already spoiled milk so it is not that far off from cheese.  Passed the smell test with aces.

Looking at this slop I was stunned at how well it was preserved. 

In a survival situation burning the fats (PB coconut or soup) as fuel could be worthwhile.  Any other ideas on what to do with this poison?

Edited by Ice Hole
  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

When it comes to canned food, if it was prepared properly (properly sterilized) and then sealed properly within vacuum, and if the seal was not broken, it doesnt matter how rusty the can gets... as long as the seal holds, there will be no microbiotic reactions within the can, as microbes require oxygen for their chemical process of spoiling the food. Thus, the contents of that kind of can should, in ideal circumstances, remain edible forever. That is why you can eat the food from the cans even decades old.

The yogurt... ugh. Gotta say you are definitely courageous. Yogurt comprises of bacteria, it cant really be sterilized with conservants... as you would kill the microflora it contains. That said, even if it was sealed, the chemical processes would still be on-going. And I never heard of canned yogurt... they are usually sealed in plastic and aluminium-type foil, and not always are they sealed with vacuum... all in all, yogurts expire. Id say you got lucky, if the flora inside contained some mold, you could have easily poisoned yourself (but you would probably figure it out beforehand as it would smell awful it if had mold). 

I dont really like eating canned food in the first place, In fact I barely ever eat it as here in Europe, it is not much cheaper to a fresh food, it usually tastes bad in general, and finally its filled with carcinogenic conservants to preserve its long shelf life. Just does not seem worth it. Though in the future, I guess I might make a prepper´s cache of canned supplies for at least half a year´s worth in case of some SHTF scenario.

I have eaten some canned hot dogs that were past the expiration date by several years. They did not taste very well, and they did not smell that great either, but I lived, and did not get sick.

Edited by Mroz4k
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
Guest kristaok

It may not "smell bad", but this ALL looks bad! EWWW! the fact that - that person is eating it makes me wanna barf! 

Edited by kristaok

Maybe the ingame smelliness meter for the character could be expanded to give an indication on the state of goods that are in questionable condition. Certainly a can of peaches that has had something happen to it would smell pretty suspicious upon opening.

• Upvote 1

On 6/13/2019 at 7:26 PM, Ice Hole said:

Canned goods!

With the can of prunes pressured up like it was, I would be concerned about botulism bacteria having been active in the can at one time.

ETA:  Then I watched the first video and the first can he opens is also clearly bulging (pressured up with gas).  That he says it's probably been punctured is a clearly indication to be that he knows nothing about botulism and how it can affect goods that were canned improperly.  This lack of knowledge in producing such a video concerns me...  Botulism is a toxin that is produced by an anaerobic bacteria (i.e. a bacteria that thrives in a no-oxygen environment).  It cannot be smelled or tasted and is highly toxic.  Boiling for longer than 10 minutes can make the food safe by breaking down the toxin, but it is safer to just thrown the can away and boil any foods in "good" cans for the 10 minutes anyways... because it's likely the entire batch was not properly canned (i.e. not brought to a high enough temperature to have killed the bacteria in the first place).

Edited by UpUpAway95
added information

5 hours ago, LostRealist said:

Maybe the ingame smelliness meter for the character could be expanded to give an indication on the state of goods that are in questionable condition. Certainly a can of peaches that has had something happen to it would smell pretty suspicious upon opening.

Has a similar idea for wolf and bear encounters.  The smell-o-meter should be expanded upon; great idea.

@UpUpAway95 

What people do for clicks on utube seems boundless.  The botulism is a real threat and clearly this people have not fully expanded upon the topic.  To be clear I am no expert on this topic but the fact i am very aware of is that some toxins cannot be detected by smell or taste alone.  The beef from the 1899 ration had to be like eating a boiled leather shoe; the tasty dinner shoe served with a side of laces shown in the olde tyme picture shows.

On 6/16/2019 at 9:56 AM, Ice Hole said:

Has a similar idea for wolf and bear encounters.  The smell-o-meter should be expanded upon; great idea.

@UpUpAway95 

What people do for clicks on utube seems boundless.  The botulism is a real threat and clearly this people have not fully expanded upon the topic.  To be clear I am no expert on this topic but the fact i am very aware of is that some toxins cannot be detected by smell or taste alone.  The beef from the 1899 ration had to be like eating a boiled leather shoe; the tasty dinner shoe served with a side of laces shown in the olde tyme picture shows.

Just as an addendum for some reliable information on botulism here's a link to the Government of Canada Public Health webpage on the topic:  https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/food-safety/fact-sheet/botulism.html

I think probably the 1899 beef ration, once cooked in water per the instructions he read, was like eating spoonfuls of beef gravy (probably the ration was much like beef gravy mix is today).  Doesn't look like there was much in the way of beef chunks in it.  I'm guessing the cocoa powder was much the same as hot chocolate mixes are today.  Probably fewer chemical preservatives that they used in the more recent versions of this sort of thing.  AFAIK, bovril is still sold in the form of boullion cubes, boullion pastes, and boullion powders.  (ETA:  looking online, there was a controversy over the sale of it in Canada in 2014 due to a food dye being used... not sure how that panned out though.)

Edited by UpUpAway95