Disturbing places

LilWolf

The Long Dark is a great survival experience but also mixes some elements of 'terror', things that can give you some chills, for example, hear wolves howling. Besides that, I have the same feeling when I visit some places, or I enter in some buildings. I feel like I'm in a horror movie. I'll name the two places that are the most disturbing for me: Carter Hydro Dam and The Riken. The first time I was in the Carter Hydro Dam I had such a bad time, really a bad time expecting to see a wolf jumping towards me. I was certainly 'tense' as I descended to the lower levels of the dam through that hallway. Fortunately Fluffy wasn't there (phew!). Not only because of this, the atmosphere of a big abandoned building, the sound of the iron and metal creaking... and just silence... really disturbing.

The Riken is the other place. Yes, is way smaller than the Dam but it has some special effect that makes this old whaling ship really creepy. The sound of the old ship as if it were in motion, the music that sounds when you're inside, the frozen corpse and appearance of this ship in general makes The Riken the second most disturbing place of The Long Dark.

I have to say that these two places are probably two of my favorite sites of the game. 😆

So, I would like to know what are the most disturbing and creepy places of TLD for you people, if they are these two or different ones and why and hear some experiences.

• Upvote 1

Guest kristaok

So far the most creepy for me is the Hydro Dam *shivers*, I know Fluffy isn't there but I hate that place SO bad. 

Surprisingly enough, I dont really have that big problem with the Rikken - but the whaling plant? That place makes me uneasy... been mauled by the Whale-bear more times then I can remember... guess its a PTSD by now.

23 minutes ago, BareSkin said:

Hushed River Valley Ice Cave

Why? They are so beautiful... there is NO reason to be afraid there... 😉

Another place that just literally creeps me out is the center of the Desolation Point´s wolf den. All those bones scattered around there...

And finally, I experience PTSD each time I am entering the Upper highway bridge area in Mountain Town region. Which sucks because that is the next place where I gotta go loot now on my current vanilla Voyager run.

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

Guest kristaok

Another place that REALLY makes my heart thump, and well makes me feel queasy... is that long broken bridge! every time I pass that I feel like it's about to fall apart any minute! the creeking noises are legit! :/

Not sure why, but Winding River, from the start behind the Hydro Dam, through to PV is the one place I never feel comfortable. And i was a caver IRL for decades. But that transition, no idea why it unnerves me like it does, when none of the other caves or mines does the same. 

Currently in Milton, and the glasses outside of the burned down schoolhouse just creeped me out the other day. I either forgot they were there, or never noticed them before. And after meeting Hobbs in Wintermute... yeah. Creep factor x10 when I saw them in Survival  Mode.

The one place that has always disturbed me a bit is the tiny cabin, off to the side of UnNamed Pond. When the fellow who appears to have taken his own life with pills... that hits home a bit, for personal reasons, not really creep factor or horror elements in the game. 

• Like 1

Mountain goating down the sheer face of Timberwolf Mountain.  I've done it a dozen times, and I know I'll get down (relatively) fine, but I keep second guessing myself.  Did I drop down too early?  Did I just drop down to a point of no return?  How far is the drop off that next ledge?

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Just now, Hawk said:

As many time as I've been through the dam, it's still creepy enough to make it slightly uneasy. :D

Also, every time I go across that bridge in Raven Falls, you couldn't drive a needle up my butt with a sledge hammer. That bridge really makes me anxious. :/

I miss feeling that way a bit, to be honest :D Must have walked over it a thousand times, at one point in the past I would not even crouch, just walk over in swift pace. Nowadays, I crouch again and am a bit nervous, but still, dont really feel that vertigo anymore like I once did :D Guess I got used to these places by going over various fallen tree trunks and such in Hushed River Valley, Broken Railroad and other places :D 

I don't like Carter Hydro Dam, for many reasons : too far from a wild experience, creepy noises, killing Aurora, etc. Even if it could be convenient, I never use it as a base.

When I go back to that little house in Milton, I think, I always remember the first time I went there. After seeing a lot of corpses in town with blood or pills beside them, I immediately noticed, while still in the middle of the stairs, the baby crib and the teddy bear on the second floor. I remember my mind yelling "no, please, no, not the body with that one, I will deal with it if I have to, but please, I got the idea, no need for the picture".

• Like 4

Maybe not really a creepy or scary place... but there is one spot in the game that has human bones (one that I know of, at least...) - a place where a clearly human ribcage, pelvis and a skull lie, buried in the snow...

If I can, I always stop by there and pay my respects... the human bones that clearly belonged to someone that died long before the TLD events killed off most of the population of the island...

It is just something eerie.

Won't spoil where this place is exactly unles specifically asked to, but the one that I have in mind is somewhere in Forlorn Muskeg. If there are other places with clearly human bones in the game, let me know in a PM. Would love to go there and see for myself, pay my respects as well.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, kristaok said:

@Mroz4k that is very creepy 

I guess, yea. It's just sad is all. Also somewhat very strange, because of how unique they are, havent seen anything like it anywhere else on the entire island... which is why I have them burned brightly into my mind. It is one thing to see the other people around the island that tried to survive and failed, and now provide a source of equipment for you... but these bones are an evidence, that someone many, many years ago tried to survive, but did not, died... and over the course of many years, the high winds of Forlorn Muskeg slowly stripped that unfortunate survivor of everything, until all that was left was couple of yellowed out bones, half-buried in the snow. It is a grim reminder of what the survivor will become many years after you hear that message "you faded into the Long dark"... In a way, those bones tell a story.

This actually reminded me of one place in the game in particular that makes me very sad and quite literally sick in the stomach. And that would the old Milton schoolhouse since the Redux... If you have visited what remains of that place and looked around, you will know what I mean... why it's so sad, and while thinking of what transpired there would make one sick in the stomach. If there is the most disturbing place in the game for me, Milton schoolhouse is it.

Damn this game can be so brutally immersive sometimes.

Edited by Mroz4k

Guest kristaok

@Mroz4k yea the school house is so sad, that's why I showed no mercy with a certain Individual if you catch my drift ... but in reality I wouldn't think that someone would fully rot, decompose, ya know turn to bones if they're in that cold of a climate... I mean I guess eventually!? but most people are nicely preserved, or so it seems in most of my studies of mummified remains. 

1 minute ago, kristaok said:

yea the school house is so sad, that's why I showed no mercy with a certain Individual if you catch my drift ... but in reality I wouldn't think that someone would fully rot, decompose, ya know turn to bones if they're in that cold of a climate... I mean I guess eventually!? but most people are nicely preserved, or so it seems in most of my studies of mummified remains. 

That reminds me of a story I heard of... of what happened with many people, climbing the Mount Everest, and getting unlucky... since its virtually impossible to get up there for recovery, there are many remains of unfortunate climbers, dotting the ridge of that mountain... some of them, in fact, are nowadays used by other climbers and guides as vantage points.

You are right, normally, if the area is in a place that is permanently frozen, then they would normally probably remain mummified...
Unless one of two things happened. The weather got really good, de-thawed everything, then decomposion happens... Or two winds become so brutal that they literally strip it off the bones. (wow, this is getting really graphic, I should probably stop).

But think of it this way. This unfortunate person died years ago. But, if you think about the Pleasant Valley... there are farms on the island. That means before the TLD, there was actual summer on the island, and the temperatures probably dropped below zero. 

3 minutes ago, liam said:

The first time I enter the PV homestead and saw the toys I got chills for some reason, seeing that people had lived and grown up somewhere but were now gone was creepy  

Very true. I fully agree. The tractor, the teddies... especially the teddies have that effect on me, still.

• Like 1

Guest kristaok

@Mroz4k that makes sense that there used to be Seasons of sorts due to the farms ... I guess the Aurora kind of messed all of that up. Nice observation. :)

4 hours ago, Hawk said:

Those might be Spence's bones, or one of the band of comrades with him on that dreadful hunt. :|

Not the Spence himself, as far as my memory serves, they found him, he passed away some time after and they buried him. Could have been some unfortunate buddy of his, but also dont think they mentioned any "casualties" of the hunt for the Old Bear. But a very interesting thought, I hadnt thought about that at all :D 

But, I think the legend of the Spence took place some 150 years ago. Im not sure if ya all know where these bones lie, I don't wanna spoil it in case someone doesn't... but I can say that they have to be much more recent then that. They are located close to something that could not have been there 150 years ago. That said, a very interesting theory :D But, as we know, the new-age Old bear makes its nest in Forlorn Muskeg - so while these bones probably dont belong to one of the hunters of that story, they could belong to one of the victims of this age´s Old bear. (but, then again, the old bear has a habbit of bringing his food home with him).

Thank you for the idea, this got me wondering quite a bit. There are many such "mysteries" around the Great bear that I like to ponder about. The story of these bones is one of them :D (or maybe I just have too much time on my hands in the game, once most of the necessities are taken care of :D)

If anyone still doesnt know the bones I am talking about, there is a picture of them on my profile page :) 

Edited by Mroz4k

On 4/20/2019 at 11:48 AM, LilWolf said:

So, I would like to know what are the most disturbing and creepy places of TLD for you people, if they are these two or different ones and why and hear some experiences.

I'd have to go with the Riken as well.  The combination of the dimly-lit interior and those sounds!  Not too many areas disturb me.  I feel a sense of sorrow at times for the corpses laying about but have not problem searching their pockets!  The PV farmhouse with the crib, toys, etc. just give me a sense of past memories that were made in that house by the prior occupants.  I like to think the kids made it out alive.

• Like 1

Turns out the picture I posted of the bones has already gone down quite a bit down my feed. Here it is again :D Id say they were there for a couple of years, at least. I also wonder about the placement of the skull compared to the vertebrae - wonder if that happened after the body already turned to bones, or previously - which would indicate a very violent death. (turning this post into a CSI :D)

bones.thumb.jpg.7047b06818c2e9603ee5d42c10142762.jpg

12 minutes ago, hozz1235 said:

I'm pretty sure I encounter a bear there every time!  I approach "wary" carefully! 😉

You and me both. This time, I came in with a plan. Fuzzy bastard didnt know what hit him (well, I guess he did, an arrow, in the back from a high vantage point on the rocks). For callout purposed, I dubbed this bear "bridge troll". I lured it in with the stones, then put an arrow into it as I stood right over it. Bears and their uncontrollable desire to investigate noises... :D (they did almost returned the favour later during my roll through Forlorn Muskeg, though... in fact, to make that picture I made a detour, which put me travelling across the marsh after dusk in thick fog, when a bear came at me. Distracted if with a bait, then somehow managed to navigate my way towards its den and escaped via overpass towards Spences... still, was a close call. Another encounter by the entrance to Mystery lake, with a bear no. 2, also distracted via bait).

I hate muskeg bears.

Edited by Mroz4k

I usually approach crouched from the South.  Bow drawn, I slowly creep up the closest rock to see where he is.  If I have time, I go over to the other rock where there is a convenient ledge to drop down onto after I loose my first arrow.  One he flees, I get back to my original shooting position and wait.  Rinse and repeat as necessary.

Definitely that Mountain Town during the aurora. I mean, after the wolves have left me alone. It was just me in this quiet town and the only sound were those lights and the winds. Knowing there wasn't another soul behind them gave me an experience I haven't felt with any other game. It was truly something else.

• Like 1

On 4/20/2019 at 1:29 PM, Mroz4k said:

Surprisingly enough, I dont really have that big problem with the Rikken - but the whaling plant? That place makes me uneasy... been mauled by the Whale-bear more times then I can remember... guess its a PTSD by now.

Why? They are so beautiful... there is NO reason to be afraid there... 😉

Another place that just literally creeps me out is the center of the Desolation Point´s wolf den. All those bones scattered around there...

And finally, I experience PTSD each time I am entering the Upper highway bridge area in Mountain Town region. Which sucks because that is the next place where I gotta go loot now on my current vanilla Voyager run.

Yes the Whale processor plant is way creepy... I hate that place... I always get lost inside the big main room with the whale bones and it takes me forever to find my way out again.

Btw I just upvoted your post to give you 1001 upvotes... Congrats!!

9 hours ago, Cattleman said:

Yes the Whale processor plant is way creepy... I hate that place... I always get lost inside the big main room with the whale bones and it takes me forever to find my way out again.

Btw I just upvoted your post to give you 1001 upvotes... Congrats!!

I especialy dislike the yard around it. I have been jumped by animals in there more times then I can remember... 

I used to get lost there in the past, too... till I realized that place basically has an S shaped route to it. Still, especially in the evening without a light, its super easy to get turned around there :D 

• Upvote 1