Some new survival settings ideas & new conditions

XAlaskan_420X

So while playing on a new survival I started in TM and traveling through PV, I thought of some new ideas that would be new survival settings and conditions to add in more challenges to the game.

#1. Nausia as a condition:
So I noticed that sometimes you can eat moldy food and not get food poisoning. What if there was a new condition that can be turned on or off, that when on, that makes it so that when you eat moldy food, you get nausia (even if you don't get food poisoning). Nausia disable sprint ability until healed and gives you have a chance of vomiting. Vomiting has it's own animation (player hunches over and vomit hits the ground) and causes the player to loose 800 or 1000 calories. 

#2. Number of houses as a survival setting:
Soo I noticed that whenever I start a new game, some houses are burned down and which ever ones are, are always random. How about a setting "number of houses destroyed", set to "none" makes its so that no houses are burned, set to "few" makes it so that few are burned, the highest setting is moderate and that makes it how it is sometimes in some survival games where a lot of houses are burned. Oo I just rememberd - I would really love a feature of a corded-wood cabin in the game somewhere (perhaps added into one of the already existing regions). I just love the aesthetic of it, and I think it would fit the aesthetic of certain regions. If you don't know what I am talking about just search corded wood masonry into any search engine and you will get awesome result.

#3. Wolves follow you into caves:
With this setting on, wolves that are tracking you will follow you into caves. Set to sometimes makes it a chance that a wolf tracking you will follow you into cave, set to off makes it so that they never will follow you into caves. 

#4. Spawn at Will's plane crash:
A setting that when turned on, will make your new survival game place you at Will's plane crash at the start. 

#5. I have mentioned this one already (and I don't intend on being redundant), but I just want to make sure that it does not get lost because I like the idea. but I would really like to see chaga to be found on some birch trees like the birch forest in Pleasant Valley. 

Let me know what you guys think. These are just some ideas I had over the past few days. I thought I had more ideas (maybe I can't remember them right now).

"#1. Nausia as a condition" ... although it sounds very logical, I'm not sure if I would like to see "that" animation. In the end, there is not much difference between it and get poisoned so I'm not really sure if it would be a good improvement for the game.

"#4. Spawn at Will's plane crash" ... Not exactly where is located Will's crashed plane but when you start a new survival game I'd like to see a crashed plane near to me, that would make ir more realistic and immersive.

The other points sound interesting, specially number 3. It would add to the game a point of extra difficulty level in the custom games.

2 hours ago, LilWolf said:

Not exactly where is located Will's crashed plane but when you start a new survival game I'd like to see a crashed plane near to me, that would make ir more realistic and immersive.

Given the number of spawns, this is unfeasible, as there would be a need for so many different kind of crashed plane arrangements. Its not like you could just place a generic "crashed plane" next to you upon spawn, that would be strange.

What could, however, make sense is if there was like a deployed parachute, caught in a tree, on a roof of a building or a rock, somewhere near your starting location. Just out of the reach of the player... but it could forever mark your starting location point as a landmark, and give that little bit of extra immersion upon creating a new game. I dont really see the point to start at a Will´s plane as a survival game setting, unless you make it so you can pick specific spawn in the game and that would be very lame in my opinion. I see nothing particularly interesting about Will´s crashed plane over anything else.

I agree, I see no point to add nausea as food poisoning is basically the same thing, as in food poisoning has the effect of nausea on the afflicted. Nor would I find it particularly in good taste of there was an animation for throwing up. Id understand maybe audio clue but even that would be kind of eck. 

Wolves following you into caves (thinking outdoor kind of caves) should not be an option that can be turned off, that should just be a part of the game, really. As for animals, following you into indoor locations... nah. Not neccesary, and probably way too much work compared to the payoff...

I dont get what you mean by 5th? :D Chaga?

2. I can agree with. Its a bit of a pity there is no option to preserve all the houses, as some houses that are randomized present uniquely good locations if the game generation is fortunate enough.

2 hours ago, Mroz4k said:

Given the number of spawns, this is unfeasible, as there would be a need for so many different kind of crashed plane arrangements. Its not like you could just place a generic "crashed plane" next to you upon spawn, that would be strange.

If I'm not wrong, I think this was asked in some Milton Mailbag already or I saw this somewhere here in the forums. And I'm aware of the difficulty of adding a feature like this... said that, I'd still like to see something around you that tells that you have 'crashed' and well, ask is free :P.

Btw, having a crashed plane could give you some 'starting' supplies which would be good (of course, nothing too special and it should depend if you're playing in Pilgrim or Interloper). I mean, is not just something 'aesthetic', it has some influence in the game and makes it more realistic. But I understand some things are easier to add than others... and there are some priorities over other stuff like immersion (this was also requested, but would be nice if inventory clothes matches with your character) ... between that and play Episode 3, I prefer to play Episode 3 :D.

Guest kristaok

1. No point considering there's no animations for using the restroom. 

2. I'm fine with the way it Is now, I could do without this feature. 

3. Another feature that's not needed, some caves already have Wolves so I heard. 

4. That's what the Story Mode is for, I'm fine with choosing or having random spawns in Survival Mode. 

So it's a no from me sorry. 

37 minutes ago, LilWolf said:

If I'm not wrong, I think this was asked in some Milton Mailbag already or I saw this somewhere here in the forums. And I'm aware of the difficulty of adding a feature like this... said that, I'd still like to see something around you that tells that you have 'crashed' and well, ask is free :P.

I mean, if there is a parachute, then it is pretty obvious what happened :D 

Your plane got a malfunction. You parachuted out. The plane continued on, and crashed in the location we know as Will´s crashed plane. Only in Survival, it is "your" plane. 

But the random spawn would be explained that because you parachuted out, you can be miles away from the original crash site, seeing as Great Bear is well known for its strong winds, and you opened your chute too early. 

So I realized yesterday upon reading another post that each idea is supposed to be it's own post so that it can better documented - which makes sense now that I think about it. This post obviously had many ideas, so sorry about that. And I can't edit or delete anything.

Well since it's already up, 

10 hours ago, LilWolf said:

"#4. Spawn at Will's plane crash" ... Not exactly where is located Will's crashed plane but when you start a new survival game I'd like to see a crashed plane near to me, that would make ir more realistic and immersive.

7 hours ago, Mroz4k said:

What could, however, make sense is if there was like a deployed parachute, caught in a tree, on a roof of a building or a rock, somewhere near your starting location. Just out of the reach of the player... but it could forever mark your starting location point as a landmark, and give that little bit of extra immersion upon creating a new game. I

Yeah, I am not sure if the generic plane crash spawn would be very doable, sounds like it could be a recipe for glitches a bugs, like for an example a crashed plane spawning in a tree or side of a mountain and then causing the game to crash because of it. I know I wouldn't want bugs or crashes, that's for sure. Don't get me wrong though, I would like the idea if it could be done.
And I like the parachute idea. I think that might be doable.

7 hours ago, Mroz4k said:

I dont get what you mean by 5th? :D Chaga?

2. I can agree with. Its a bit of a pity there is no option to preserve all the houses, as some houses that are randomized present uniquely good locations if the game generation is fortunate enough.

Oh Chaga :) . Chaga is a mushroom that grows only on Birch trees (in Russia, Alaska and Canada). It has medicinal benefits, boosts the immune system, has some pain relieving traits, I think it is even anti-parasitic. To prepare Chaga, it is often broken up into small pieces and cured indoors by a window or in the sun. Then simmered to make tea - if you can grind it into a powder, then it is even stronger of a tea. 
I made a post about it about it while back: 
http://www.hinterlandforums.com/forums/topic/22615-chaga-birch-conk-and-white-wolves/?tab=comments#comment-156045 - and a good chart explaining the components of Chaga and the medicinal qualities https://www.pinterest.com/pin/204139795589532564/visual-search/?x=16&y=16&w=518&h=587 - So which medicinal qualities of Chaga tea would fit the the game the best, I can't say that I am certain. 

As for #2, now that think of it, something tells me that this might come in a future update.. Or could. 

8 hours ago, Mroz4k said:

Wolves following you into caves (thinking outdoor kind of caves) should not be an option that can be turned off, that should just be a part of the game, really. As for animals, following you into indoor locations... nah. Not neccesary, and probably way too much work compared to the payoff...

I agree, the outdoor caves wolves should always follow you in.

4 hours ago, kristaok said:

3. Another feature that's not needed, some caves already have Wolves so I heard. 

Nice. I wanna find this cave :) 

6 hours ago, XAlaskan_420X said:

I agree, the outdoor caves wolves should always follow you in.

Nice. I wanna find this cave :) 

I kinda wish there were more of them. Perhaps not the caves and mines for connector regions, but there are plenty of other indoor caves in the game that could have a wolf or two in them.

As of now, I know of two caves where wolves can be located, but there might be more, so keep on your guard. Certain mechanics in the game are just quite rare - so there is no quarantee that rarely, wolves cant spawn in other caves as well.

14 minutes ago, Doc Feral said:

In case you didn't notice, wolves DO follow you into outdoor caves, unless they're very far when you enter.

Yep, same with bears. And if you rest in the indoor caves without a fire, they can even spawn on you and maul you right away. Or at least they used to. 

7 hours ago, XAlaskan_420X said:

So I realized yesterday upon reading another post that each idea is supposed to be it's own post so that it can better documented - which makes sense now that I think about it. This post obviously had many ideas, so sorry about that. And I can't edit or delete anything.

I dont think that is really neccesary, in fact, if you turned it into 5 different threads, it would not be particularly nice towards other forumers, who also want to discuss their topics. I dont see it as a bad thing, wanting to put several ideas together. But if you want to give ideas individually, you can in the future, just try not to get much past three ideas at once, its not exactly nice towards others if one person suddenly posts 5, or even 10 individual posts on each idea. 

What you can do in that case is post two, three of them, wait for people to discuss them and when it seems as though the discussion died down, you post more. :) 

7 hours ago, XAlaskan_420X said:

Chaga is a mushroom that grows only on Birch trees (in Russia, Alaska and Canada). It has medicinal benefits, boosts the immune system, has some pain relieving traits, I think it is even anti-parasitic.

Gotcha, I remember the post now, just didnt connect the two together beforehand :). Sounds like it would be basically the same exact thing to Reishi. I get the idea behind wanting more medical plants, but right now all the plants basically cover all the necessary medical needs, I don't think there is a need for another plant, unless a new affliction was introduced that would require a new way to be treated. The only non-natural item for medicine is a bandage right now.

Never happened to me with bears, since they're slower when they follow you and once they start running they're usually too near. Being awaken with a bear hug is quite far from my idea of romance...

As for bandages, cloth is so plentiful it's unlikely for it to run out before lichens and antiseptic. As I complained before, "natural" doesn't mean "renewable". Endless survival (as far as the total depletion of resources can be) would be possible only in coastal regions where you can theoretically obtain such items by beachcombing.

I worded that improperly. There are three caves that I am aware can have a wolf in them, one of them (I think) has one in there all the time, and can have more then one. 

And I would not be suprised if there were more caves in the game that could have wolf in them but only very rarely. I remember people in different places complain about running into an unusual wolf in a cave where I have never ran into one, then there is another person who confirms it... and it is very difficult to guess if that is true, or if its just a couple of trolls/liars claiming something untrue just to appear more interesting.

Hard to believe in that unless I actually run into one of these myself, but if there is such a setting, Im guessing it would only  happen on the higher wolf chance spawns, since I never play such gamemodes probably wont happen for me.

Archived