Fire master achievement

Goodzilla

I don't remember how much did it take, but lighting fires is one if my obsessive grinding activity when I start a new run, usually holing up in a cave with a load of firewood and tearing apart some animal to tiny bits. I'm sure I got it before books and running 

yea, Im sure people who enjoy taking the exploit of one torch to light endless fires actually got this feat long before the others. I have never had the patience of spending several real life hours, just lighting endless campfires with minimal resource costs. Nor do I really like the prospect of raising my fire starting skill that way, because then I am robbing myself of the experience that comes with failing campfires early on within the game :D 

My Firemaster is currently at 88% done. I have done some runs with Pilgrim specifically designed to raise this feat, I admit so as much. When you make a run up the Summit, and even more if you get lucky in some PVM or ML areas and find a one or two gasoline cans with at least 3 l of lantern fuel, you can raise these stats without getting that headache of just endlessly staring at that slow circle to fill in.

Im no longer really concerned with getting that Feat. I will get there eventually by naturally building fires as I need em. Apart of early Interloper, I dont really see that much benefit from it anyway... between torch & book to burn, firestarting gives you a pretty solid chance to succeed in a fire like that. Or use lantern oils and accelerants early during the game to really make it a quaranteed thing. 

13 hours ago, Doc Feral said:

I'm sure I got it before books and running

Interesting. Running was my very first achievement, and when I finished all other, my fire master was below 30%.

Now I check this only once every few weeks and it is still raising very slow.

I'm the slow and steady type, and with the bad habit of being overencumbered 90% of the time until I get the well fed bonus, and too often anyway until I have the moose satchel too. I'm always ready to set up a base, with plenty of meds, a lamp, spare cloth and whatnot, so running isn't very successful for me.

ok I understand 🙂

I had the running quickly because of my Hopeless Rescue Speed runs.

Regarding the Fire achievement I also tried the following.

If I restarted Hopeless Rescue because no Coffee/Stim at the start but a canister, I went out, picked up plenty of sticks and did about 12 fires.

Even it showed me the symbol of counting each fire, at the end it did not count. It was easy to check since I could do 35 fires in very short  time but the Fire Master dident increase

Edited by Goodzilla

On 4/18/2019 at 1:58 PM, Goodzilla said:

Even it showed me the symbol of counting each fire, at the end it did not count. It was easy to check since I could do 35 fires in very short  time but the Fire Master dident increase

I have tried an exploit early on when they were added, to see if one could create several fires quickly, end the game without saving, then reload and do so again... trying to find a weak spot to report it as a bug. But turned out that they already anticipated this - so unless your game got actually "saved" somewhere along the way, you would lose your progress on the feats as soon as the game closed. 

Also, since its a 1000 fires, and smallest noticeable increase is 1%, which is 10 fires, you should see an increase in 3-4% with 35 fires, even if you dont save the game... the increase should show up, then disappear as you reload the game again, if you did not save. Interesting, that you did not see it... maybe it updated sometime later?

Edited by Mroz4k

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty sure only campfires qualify.  Fires started in a stove or fireplace do not.

At least when I obtained this, it was done by grinding campfires on the ice in Coastal Highway.

Edit: Also remember feats don't progress on Custom games, so if you're playing a Custom mode, none of your accomplishments count.

20161003144039_1.jpg

Edited by ajb1978
  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1

Yep, this was my last feat as well, took some good 3 years to get it. This is heavily dependent on your playstyle, since early game I torch travel a lot and prioritize reading the firestarting books I usually get towards firestarting level 3 relatively quickly, so I don't grind because firestarting 3 is already great for the small duration bonus and no requirement for tinder.

That said, there's nothing wrong with grinding if having all feats is something you covet. Not everybody can or wants to sink 700+ hours(I did) into this game playing regularly, so these people would never get the feat if they didn't grind. 

PS: The feat is not that good to be honest, I don't remember ever using it since I got it. 

Edited by Dan_

Many people get this early on because they have steel nerves, grinding it up the slow way by waiting for the circle to fill up, without the use of accelerants. Last time I checked, I was at 98%. I only did one or two Pilgrim games where I went to Summit to get a lot of firestarting materials there in order to grind it, but eventually I just decided to enjoy the game and wait for the badge to come naturally.

People who play Interloper by lighting up a torch them grinding up their skills by re-liting fires with a torch and cooking tiny bits of meat to up their cooking level are more likely to get this feat sooner.

I find it pretty pointless as far as feats go as well, firestarting is pretty easy if you make good use of the items you find. Early on, burn a lot of books and your chances will always be fairly high so you wont end up wasting a lot of attempts. Books can be found almost everywhere so at expense of extra weight to carry, you can have one or two always in your inventory.

Edited by Mroz4k

On 5/4/2019 at 12:02 AM, ajb1978 said:

Pretty sure only campfires qualify.  Fires started in a stove or fireplace do not.

I thought it is the other way round.

At least in the challenges the campfires I did, did not count.

Cool picture ! Looks like a beaver damm

On 5/4/2019 at 12:02 AM, ajb1978 said:

Pretty sure only campfires qualify.

Yes, they definitely count. It's also the last feat I need to get.

I'm currently at 56% and this is where I go when I just want to push the % up a bit in my 628 days pilgrim run. My 10-camp-fire-cycle at the Forrest Cave in TWM. :fire:

screen_d46d3c41-6ecc-497f-8755-c8b23f9ff800_hi.png

I actually made the big part of this one (more than 50%) during 4DON (nothing else to do) since at the time I already stopped playing Interloper for a custom game. Had to reload an ancient survivor to finish it the day after. I think all fires count, since we happen to get firestarting levels even in stoves sometimes. Also, I think the grind is much easier once you're firestarting 5 in a save.

screen_9d604742-ecf4-4284-86e4-17f5af7468c0.thumb.png.53666d8d1a201bf12537c4de9b4c3f7a.png

Edited by BareSkin

On 5/4/2019 at 9:11 AM, Mroz4k said:

I find it pretty pointless as far as feats go as well, firestarting is pretty easy if you make good use of the items you find.

Agreed.  I don't actively use this feat, now that I have it.  Starting fires, especially if you use a torch, is not inherently difficult.  It is the least useful feat, even on Pilgrim.

43 minutes ago, ajb1978 said:
On 5/4/2019 at 10:11 AM, Mroz4k said:

I find it pretty pointless as far as feats go as well, firestarting is pretty easy if you make good use of the items you find.

Agreed.  I don't actively use this feat, now that I have it.  Starting fires, especially if you use a torch, is not inherently difficult.  It is the least useful feat, even on Pilgrim.

I am going to disagree here, somewhat...

It may not be "the most useful " Feat, overall, but in Stalker, with wolves from the start of the game, on Day 1, who all want to eat your face off... having Firestarting 3 from the get can be very handy, nd lifesaving. Not for coking, or warmth, but the game does like to troll us, and spawn us into the game in bad places, with rabid wolves nearby, at times. Being able to grab a few sticks off the ground and make a fire, with a higher % chance of success, and no tinder needed... has saved my butt a few times at the start of a run.

*Spawns in on a new Stalker run*
**"Oh HAI, wolfie..."**
***Grabs 2 sticks, FAST***
****Starts fire successfully in front of wolf****
*****Tells the God Of Death- "NOT TODAY!!!"*****

*Thanks Hinterland for the Fire Master Feat and gets killed by Grumpy Old Bear 2 days later, because Teddy Ruxpin is like a Honey Badger around fires... he just don't care.*

Maybe not the most useful feat for everyday survival, but still one I am glad to have, in Stalker, at least.