Favorite Regions  

16 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Posted (edited)

I really enjoy spending time in the more remote, pristine regions of the Great Bear. I know my way around them, I can take care of myself fairly easy, and it allows me to break-off from the routinish survivalist tasks by simply enjoying the more primordial level of "survival", and giving me an option to collect hides and other equipment to bring back to the base at a later date. Ive asked for a deep forest kind of region in the past, I got Hushed river valey which more-less satisfies my need for pristine nature location now.

As a transitional zone, Ravine in particular presents a really great hunting spot. The abundance of deer and lack of any predators in that area makes it my go-to place for deer hunting. I can make use of the cave, located there for sleeping with bedroll, collecting the resources then lugging them back to the camp.

Edited by Mroz4k
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

It's really hard for me to choose a favorite... :P I really like The Trappers Cabin in Mystery Lake (so beginner I know)... and The Lonely Lighthouse in DP, but I also like that Mountaineer's Hut on Timberwolf Mountain... I will just vote for that since it's high up on a Mountain, it's secluded, and not too far from Loot Heaven! ❤️ 

EDIT: As for transitional I chose the Winding River since it leads to Pleasant Valley which leads to Timberwolf Mountain. :P 

Edited by kristaok

Since it's introduction, it's always been Timberwolf Mountain. Best home base in the Mountaineer's Hut, fishing, coal caves, great hunting in a relatively small region and many many great camping spots. It just misses beachcombing to be perfect. Second favourite it's Mystery Lake, for the nostalgia factor. 

As far as transition zones, both the ravine and winding river are great but to me it's always been Crumbling Highway. Yes it's terrible without a weapon but come back with a bow and enjoy calm and peace to go with the views and beachcombing. Oh, and there are two warm caves to camp, as opposed to none in CH and only one in DP if you don't mind being a bear's roomie. 

• Upvote 1

I really like PV. I can't really explain why but it just feels more like 'home' to me. The only thing lacking is a bit more fishing. One or two more little ponds would be nice.

I like Winding River because of the view of the dam, which is weird because in real life I'm not a big fan of man-made stuff, preferring God made stuff so much more.

14 hours ago, kristaok said:

I really like The Trappers Cabin in Mystery Lake

7 years later, it is still my go-to place for long term base too :D Though technically, Camp office is more practical, and the places like Fishing Village or Misanthrope´s at Coastal even more so. 

Cant beat the old Trapper´s cabin, though :D just wish there was a fishing spot closer to it. Then it would be solidified as my go-to place (though I also like to rough it on Timberwolf mountain in the Mountaineer´s cabin.)

8 minutes ago, Hawk said:

I really like PV. I can't really explain why but it just feels more like 'home' to me. The only thing lacking is a bit more fishing. One or two more little ponds would be nice.

Is it weird that I actually like that? If I made my base at Farmstead, it is a nice, relaxing walk up to the Pensive Pond to do some fishing. Might as well spend a night there, too, then stroll back home the morning after with your catch :) 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Mroz4k said:

Is it weird that I actually like that? If I made my base at Farmstead, it is a nice, relaxing walk up to the Pensive Pond to do some fishing. Might as well spend a night there, too, then stroll back home the morning after with your catch :) 

Nah! That's not weird. I've just never been a fan of sleeping in those small fishing huts. Too cramped for me. :D

Small enough to hide from bears in them. I like the safety of it. But thats just me :D 

I'm fan of the fishing pond as well, the forest cave nearby is a life saver when a day long blizzard hits. With the update, maybe we'll get some more man-made structures, a fishing hut by the pond north of the barn would be ace. 

Of course my favourite has to be Forlorm Muskeg, I'm a sucker for punishment. It's got so many natural resources; coal, cat tails, deer, rabbits, wolves, bears in abundance. Not to mention the reishi and rose hips and OMB. Oh, and did I mention cat tails? Enough to live on for weeks straight, I mean I might never have to leave this place. When you are cold all you have to do is start a fire with the massive amounts of fuel there, it is a lumberjacks paradise! For those not so good or blessed with an axe there are more scrub bushes per capita than caribou in Canada. Also, great caves to avoid cabin fever in (tongue firmly in cheek).

• Upvote 2

Alright time for my favorites.

Favorite main region is Pleasant Valley because it has my favorite safehouse, being the farmstead.

Favorite transitional region is The Ravine because walking across that railroad bridge for the first time was a lot more intense than going past all the other transitional regions.  

Coastal Highway is my favorite, or perhaps it is the region that I know the best. CH was my unforgiving tutorial on learning and understanding the many different aspects of this wonderous game.  hatchet? cool. Knife? sweeet. whetstone? omg no way(drool.) Quonset hut gas station? safe and secure, look at all this loot.heck i may never leave. Quonset hut gas station after predator grace period(wait, what?) wow thats a wolf pa.....

I use Winding River as my sanctuary. Nice view of the dam, Ominous yet beautiful. Great place to practice cave living or just plain cave dwelling..Rabbits, just one wolf. WR is peaceful to me. My favorite part though is the maple sapling that spawns at the top of the hill. I don't harvest it but i make it a point to periodically check on it. It serves as a moral boost knowing that if everything else fails i have this one green magical stick. This game sure is wondrous for my imagination, or perhaps it is the other way around?

If only DP had a fishing hut. That might require a rethink.

Posted (edited)

Timberwolf Mountain for me, for the same reasons that the others already mentioned. It's just a super balanced region, easy to navigate and hauntingly beautiful.

Also, you can do lots of different activites and still use the same main shelter, which is just as cozy as Trapper's Cabin. 

Edited to add: I have to admit that the Forlorn Muskeg and Broken Railroad would make my number 2 and 3 - and I just to hate both these regions so much ... It's funny how that changes over time (except with TM, which I have always loved :D)

Edited by melcantspell
  • Upvote 1

TWM for it's mountains, wildness, lack of man-made structures, plenty of caves and wildlife. 

Ravine for it's absence of predators - I've often thought it would be a good place to make a permanent camp for that reason.  A few deer and lots of rabbits.  A few caves...

On 4/17/2019 at 12:29 PM, melcantspell said:

Edited to add: I have to admit that the Forlorn Muskeg and Broken Railroad

I would like those areas better if there weren't so many D**n wolves!  I detest the gauntlet in BRR.

I'm surprised I'm not the only one who loves TWM. ❤️ 

I like Coastal Highway: many resources, fishing cabins, houses with loot, tools... and well, the place is beautiful too, I prefer the coast (for example DP) than the interior places. Besides that, I think that Quonset Garage can be a great home base.

Btw, I'm surprised that nobody voted for Mountain Town... it's another good place for looting with all those abandoned houses. Too bad there are too many wolves. And since it's the first place of Great Bear that I discovered maybe could be my second favorite region (I started playing TLD with Wintermute).

Transitional Region ? I don't have it clear but I'll say The Ravine: no wolves and a nice 'track' to go to CH from ML (I also have good memories when I died there burned by a campfire 😂). Old Island Conector 'connects' too with two regions that I like, that's another option I guess.

Edited by LilWolf