Alpha Wolf 🐺

Ice Hole

When arriving at the gates to the Maintenance Shed I had to chase one wolf away using a fire.  Waited by the fire and looked for the others.  Then they spot me and start growling.  Then the first wolf that was scarred off comes back and joins the other two.  Now three wolves are coming around the fence.  Growling at me for so long.  The growls lasted longer because the path they took detoured them.  The growl was louder and nastier.  The three stood there growling.  Maybe I was mistaken but it seemed one was larger too.   Standing there growling at me.  Then a bark.  Then the whimper and all scamper away.  With gasping breath I made it to the safty of the shed.

There was certainly a different tone to that particular wolf growl.  Very distinct from the others.  The first time I noticed was last week.  

Has anybody else been confronted by the alpha wolf 🐺?

Edited by Ice Hole

19 minutes ago, Ice Hole said:

When arriving at the gates to the Maintenance Shed I had to chase one wolf away using a fire.  Waited by the fire and looked for the others.  Then they spot me and start growling.  Then the first wolf that was scarred off comes back and joins the other two.  Now three wolves are coming around the fence.  Growling at me for so long.  The growls lasted longer because the path they took detoured them.  The growl was louder and nastier.  The three stood there growling.  Maybe I was mistaken but it seemed one was larger too.   Standing there growling at me.  Then a bark.  Then the whimper and all scamper away.  With gasping breath I made it to the safty of the shed.

There was certainly a different tone to that particular wolf growl.  Very distinct from the others.  The first time I noticed was last week.  

Has anybody else been confronted by the alpha wolf 🐺?

Nothing all that unusual about that. There is a certain range of distinctions between animals. Some appear to be smaller, some appear bigger. Naturally, the bigger ones offer more meat when killed. There is also some range to the sounds they make, from more deeper to more higher pitch, therefore in a pack, you can hear distinct differences in their "voices" if you happen to run into one that is deep and one that is higher pitch in contrast :) 

In a way, each wolf is a bit different :) I wonder if their attributes also change based on their "build" - as in, if the bigger wolves are also deadlier then the smaller ones, or at least less fearful.

But yea, noticed long ago that animals have differences in between them :) 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, kristaok said:

I just noticed some have more Meat, I should probably pay more attention from now on then. :) 

All animals have a range of meat they provide.  I actually started a thread at one point with Anorexic and Obese records. 😋

Guest kristaok
3 hours ago, hozz1235 said:

All animals have a range of meat they provide.  I actually started a thread at one point with Anorexic and Obese records. 😋

I wish I could have seen that thread hehe :P I still haven't caught a fat fish yet for the Achievement though. :/ 

Had an encounter with one of these today. Noticed right away he was a big wuffer, with a real deep growl. It was a relatively fresh Voyager for me, trying to get the achievements this time since I usually play only Customs... I remembered your story of the Alpha. I provoked him into an axe fight (stupid woofer, he chose teeth, should have brought an axe as well), he did not go down easily and took quite a big chunk of my health, luckily I was able to put down my valuable not-yet-repaired treasure gear from Summit off... even gave me a bleeder, the bastard. Hatchet did the trick though and he fed me for two days... I was pretty suprised as he had even more meat on him then I would have guessed... 5,8 kg. The biggest wolves I remember had 6,2 kg, this one was definitedly one of the alpha variety.

Gonna have to look out for more of these big ones, and see if their struggles show different strenght then their skinny counterparts. But this might just have been a fluke, I was probably pretty tired.

• Upvote 1

On 4/15/2019 at 1:33 PM, Mroz4k said:

There is a certain range of distinctions between animals. Some appear to be smaller, some appear bigger

Thanks for confirming my suspicion.

So characteristics and attributes are defining wolves physical details.  So hot :fire: great job HL!

Are the deer the rabbit the moose and the bear highly defined as well?

21 hours ago, Mroz4k said:

look out for more of these big ones, and see if their struggles show different strenght then their skinny counterparts.

Sounds like an interesting science experiment.  I am already thinking of documenting with pictures and preform comparisons.  David Suzuki has put forth the task.

The eighties version of the intro was much better than what came out later.

21 hours ago, Mroz4k said:

should have brought an axe

'hard tooth' shimmers and shines in the light. -   🐺 Alpha Wolf Memoirs

1 hour ago, Ice Hole said:

Thanks for confirming my suspicion.

So characteristics and attributes are defining wolves physical details.  So hot :fire: great job HL!

Are the deer the rabbit the moose and the bear highly defined as well?

I am not entirely sure this is the case yet, it would require far more testing and observations, but so far, my experience would indicate this. And in a way it makes a lot of logical sense, and Hinterland has taken "logical sense" within game development to a whole new level I have not seen before with any other studio, except maybe some crushing games of AAA studios. For their "sparse" amount of new content, they tend to find a way to add very high quality stuff into the game, and they enjoy being very stingy on the details of the mechanics behind the game. Just take a look at the detail to all the various ways you can indicate the weather is changing... If we want to find out how the game works, we will have to work together as a community and do the testings to gather more data, because Raphael would just grin at us and tell us "there is no chance anyone on the Great Bear would know that" and continue to grin. I don't want that, it would keep me up at night :D I like to be sure about things.

I believe this is the case by association - based on my experience. But I have been very wrong in the past, so unless we keep an eye out, we won't know for sure.

There are definitely differences in the sizes of animals and the amount of meat they provide. The fattest bears I have seen, some big bastards, had around 50 kg of meat, and even from afar they seemed very terrifying, since it is an animal generally big, I think its the easiest to notice the differences in the size with them. I have seen some tinier specimens in my time, too. The smallest ones had about 35kg to them, and they were visibly much smaller. But whether their struggles would cause more or less damage, I wouldnt really know. Nor could I tell you about their bleeding times. These things all are determined by multitudes of variables at play, like clothing protection, fatigue, general luck...

Dropping dead rabbits on the ground, there is not much difference in visual size that I could have seen lately. But I havent caught any that would have below 0.9kg, and the biggest one I got recently had 1.4kg, so it is not much of a difference in between them to compare their sizes as carcasses, since they are generally small. But when they hop around, I am fairly certain that some seem fatter than others. Anyone who does a lot of rabbit hunting, if you come across an annorexic rabbit and a pretty fat one, try to compare them side-by-side as items, see if maybe one seems smaller then others. But with rabbits being fairly small, the difference is not likely to be very visible.

I think wolves are so bugged you couldn't possibly know whats intended actually all wildlife seems way off.

IMO rework of all critter AI could make this game epic if done well have the animals fight for food.. wolves track your scent if they cross your path (with ways you can travel that changes their success)...ect .  Don't want to get into all the stuff but you get the idea fewer smarter meaner animals maybe aurora could even change a few. 

I can't confirm or deny this, but my thought is that Hinterland would not have implemented this size difference.  If they had implemented this, I would have thought the differences would be more obvious and more frequent.

Could be a trick of the terrain or some ambience effects on sound.