How I Feel About The Long Dark

Sadly I have stopped playing this game but I had just hopped back on the forums for a bit and as usual, nothing has changed except for the march dev diary. And I think that revolver and the new version of unity might tempt me to continue playing. The reason I stopped playing is first of all the release of Forza Horizon 4 which I also have quit playing to play a new game called Generation Zero which I highly recommend. But also the lack of development on the long dark has always bummed me out. Anyway, I liked how the last version of unity they installed in the game upgraded the fire graphics and I can wait to see the improvements this version gives us.

Guest kristaok

Things take time, I'm sure they are hard at work on the upcoming update.

They'll be adding the Revolver, another Food Item, I think a Clothing Item as well, and much more I'm sure. 

I've just been playing Survival patiently waiting, I got more Achievements to try and earn. 

:) 

I never like to see people say "lack of development" - that has never been an issue with Hinterland. More like "sparingness of new content" - that I can respect. Hinterland devs were always perfectionalists, so while the game grows in content relatively slowly, it does grow steadily and continues to evolve. And when there is new content, it usually comes out hammered out to the details. 

The game sets the mood for a gameplay, where you have to chose your own tasks. Even if they did add more into the game, players would eventually get bored of it anyway. To trully enjoy the game, one must be able to stop themselves from taking it too seriously, and just enjoy the experience of it, instead of trying to survive too seriously. Else it gets repetitive and boring real fast :) 

• Upvote 2

Guest kristaok
4 hours ago, Mroz4k said:

Even if they did add more into the game, players would eventually get bored of it anyway. To trully enjoy the game, one must be able to stop themselves from taking it too seriously, and just enjoy the experience of it, instead of trying to survive too seriously. Else it gets repetitive and boring real fast :) 

I agree, I will admit this is me... I am sure you know why I told ya before hehe... but I do this a LOT with The Sims 4 - EA will release new stuff and I get all excited, but literally by the next day or 2 I am already BORED. So I have had to learn ways to make myself less bored with games, TLD included... I try my best just to go slow and enjoy the scenery, etc. etc. 

Eventually we will be seeing the Update, and Episode 3, so on and so on. The wait can seem like forever, but once it comes it's here! and we can celebrate! play it, and share our experiences here! :D 

• 4 weeks later...

For me its more like Hinterland became more a buisness then a developer. It's the same story that happens to bands who create a monster album, and later they are forced to produce more by there label and these albums just suck. Or like it happened with star wars or right now with game of thrones where you have something really great and some idiots lure you into their following bs.

Redux should have happened 2017, episode 3 -5 2018 and major updates for sandbox at least every 3 months. Instead Hinterland is using it's resources to build up the studio and making the game itself second priority. That's why episode 3 hasn't been released although it already was finished but will be overhault again and again. And after it's finally released it either sucks or has to be overhauled to a new redux again :)

Everything you hear from Hinterland regarding this are excuses. In 2015 and eve 16 the studio was way smaller, but more big updates were released with a higher quality. Also the game was, thanks to the community, basicly bug free for a long time till Hinterhand decided to throw overhault things that worked perfectly fine. I'm sorry, but season 8 of game of thrones really got me 😛

• Upvote 1

Guest kristaok
8 hours ago, MueckE said:

For me its more like Hinterland became more a buisness then a developer. It's the same story that happens to bands who create a monster album, and later they are forced to produce more by there label and these albums just suck. Or like it happened with star wars or right now with game of thrones where you have something really great and some idiots lure you into their following bs.

I don't know... I will say this in the Teams / Raphs favor... I have NEVER seen any other Company care about their fanbase quite like Hinterland does. Most other Companies seem to have this air about them, that they are untouchables... like they cannot be bothered with us non Dev  (and not so rich) folk lol.

Redux should have happened 2017, episode 3 -5 2018 and major updates for sandbox at least every 3 months. Instead Hinterland is using it's resources to build up the studio and making the game itself second priority. That's why episode 3 hasn't been released although it already was finished but will be overhault again and again. And after it's finally released it either sucks or has to be overhauled to a new redux again :)

I wouldn't say that... because if they would have rushed out the Redux it wouldn't have been nearly as good, it took so long because they were perfecting it. :D Also Episode 3 is taking a while because they are fine tuning things I am sure, and they had to form it around the Redux of Episodes 1 and 2. 

Also having major Updates every 3 months I am sure would put a LOT of stress on Hinterland, they are a pretty small Indie Dev Team even now that they are just now running into better Technology. I mean after - all we are not talking about this HUGE mega Corp like EA, etc. etc. 

And I doubt Episode 3 will suck, in fact I think just the opposite! In my opinion the longer they the Team take, the better it will be! 

Everything you hear from Hinterland regarding this are excuses. In 2015 and eve 16 the studio was way smaller, but more big updates were released with a higher quality. Also the game was, thanks to the community, basicly bug free for a long time till Hinterhand decided to throw overhault things that worked perfectly fine. I'm sorry, but season 8 of game of thrones really got me 😛

Major Updates and Overhauls to any Game is going to present Bugs, Crashes, etc. I should know because I was faced with the Crashing issue when Steadfast Ranger was released. I will admit I was angry, not at the Game, or the Team, I was just angry because I LOVE TLD so much and I couldn't play. 😢 But I have learned to try and be more understanding, and calm when it comes to things like that. 

Also whether the Game ran perfectly fine prior or not isn't really the issue... Hinterland wants the BEST for this Game, and they do have a Vision and a Direction of where they want this Game to be. So even though there may be Bugs and Crashes with this Vision, it still needs to be done to make the Game the BEST it can be! Does this make any sense? 

PS. I don't think Hinterland really "makes excuses", I think everything they say and do is for a reason. Again they are a small Indie Dev Team, and I doubt they have loads of Cash laying around, and due to being a small Team it probably takes them a LOT more time to Update the Game etc.

Oh and before I forget; all we can really do is wait, no amount of rushing or wanting things sooner will change anything. So it's best we just enjoy Episode 1 and 2, and the Survival Mode in it's current state right now! :D 

PS Again! LOL I cannot wait to play Astrid in Episode 3! :) 

• 2 months later...
Guest Marcurios
On 5/10/2019 at 4:27 PM, MueckE said:

Redux should have happened 2017, episode 3 -5 2018 and major updates for sandbox at least every 3 months.

You have no idea how much work it is to port your Unity project to a new iteration of the engine.
If you import your project into a new version of Unity, there is often a shitload of script functions that are deprecated and all scripts need to be fixed up.
Not to mention that often you need to recheck all your materials again for the right settings.
And then there is the new stuff that you want to implement into your project like better fx and such.

I'm pretty sure that Hinterland doesn't want to upgrade each time a new version of Unity comes out, cause that would definitely impair development on the game too.
So the fact that they do upgrade every once in a while to the new engine is admirable to say the least.
They could have just kept the Unity version that they built the game upon initially, but instead they upgraded, atleast that what i suspect they did from what i have read here and there..

I'd sure like a copy of those mechanics though, stripped from the game, maybe , just maybe you can atleast consider to rip it out and put it on the Unity store for 200 dollars Hinterland ?
Now i have to build it all myself, and it's going to take me a few years, i would be willing to pay 200 or more for an asset that has the scripted mechanics an UI, so i can use it for my own Survival game..