Wolves inside caves?

eric4x4

You walk straight into a den of the pack, what did you expect to find there? Cuddly bunnies?

If any Id have guessed the bones at the entrance and everywhere in that cave would be kind of an indication that maybe, it is not a very safe cave to explore... :D Nobody had to warn me first time I walked in there, I knew what was coming. :D 

Not every single cave in the game is safe to explore. Best keep your weapons handy whenever you are exploring a cave... wolves in an enclosed space? Very deadly... :D There are cues to everything in this game, starting by changes in weather, and ending with Old Bear´s appetite for Granola bars (yes, it is his only weakness...). On a serious note, most things are in the game for a reason. Bones usually indicate something dangerous. :D So try not to add onto a pile of bones with your own contributions :) 

• Like 1

My point is that I have *never* run into a wolf INSIDE an explorable cave. Not just an external cave where you walk into it and you can see the back, where a wolf could chase you into it, but where you actually transition into the cave as a loaded zone. There are no bones at the mouth of that cave, it was just like any other.

Edited by eric4x4

Scruffy the cave dweller used to have a cousin in Mystery Lake. 

Fluffy took my first character in the game.  Spawned in front of the old Carter Hydro Dam.  Went inside and never got back out.

Now, Fluffy :wolf: has moved out because of all the equipment clutter. 

Carter Hydro Dam was a spooky place, now it is just a lifeless shell.

• Upvote 1

On 4/15/2019 at 4:54 AM, eric4x4 said:

My point is that I have *never* run into a wolf INSIDE an explorable cave. Not just an external cave where you walk into it and you can see the back, where a wolf could chase you into it, but where you actually transition into the cave as a loaded zone. There are no bones at the mouth of that cave, it was just like any other.

It is not the only indoors cave in the game that can have predators spawned inside. 

And as a matter of fact, there is a huge skull of a deer, or maybe a moose (cant really remember but it definitely has antlers of some kind) right in the very front of that cave. I know that for a fact. Rose hip bush grows right next to it, most of the times, anyways. And there are bones all over that cave. You just werent paying attention, and thus, you learned the hard way :) And sounds like you got pretty lucky, there can be up to three wolves in that cave, you seem to have only gotten one. Thats pretty lucky... imagine encountering an entire pack in there. 

On 4/15/2019 at 4:13 PM, Ice Hole said:

Fluffy took my first character in the game.  Spawned in front of the old Carter Hydro Dam.  Went inside and never got back out.

That infernal hound, the bane of Interloper, has moved on into a different location :) And since I too worship chaos, I shant tell where so that our fellow survivors can one day get a taste of its love bite in its new, icy kingdom :D 

Edited by Mroz4k

Guest kristaok

Now I know where to avoid! Thank you all! but seriously that's scary! AND that's why I avoided the Dam for the longest time due to Fluffy! 

6 minutes ago, kristaok said:

Now I know where to avoid! Thank you all! but seriously that's scary! AND that's why I avoided the Dam for the longest time due to Fluffy! 

Not a really good idea, as both of those places have awesome stuff in em, or lead to places with awesome stuff.

I dont know whats so bad about it - you get inside, pop a campfire down, light up a torch and torch-link till you run into a wolf. put down another campfire to scare it, or take out the bow and put it down. :) 

Guest kristaok
18 minutes ago, Mroz4k said:

Not a really good idea, as both of those places have awesome stuff in em, or lead to places with awesome stuff.

I dont know whats so bad about it - you get inside, pop a campfire down, light up a torch and torch-link till you run into a wolf. put down another campfire to scare it, or take out the bow and put it down. :) 

Because I'm a BIG baby that's why :/ I guess I'll start holding my Bow or Rifle in Caves hehe. 

On 4/19/2019 at 1:39 PM, hozz1235 said:

That cave in DP is the only one I ever recall finding a wolf in.

Same here for me..I had my gun out when i entered this cave, all the bones put my hairs on edge.  Glad i only heard one bark.. 3 wolves in this cave would have been problematic, to say the least. 

9 minutes ago, hozz1235 said:

I thought I had fully explored them...perhaps it was long enough ago I forgot though.

The inhabitant does not always have to be "home" - sounds like you got lucky, or played on a low enough difficulty for the cave-dweller not to show up. Didnt have one in there either in my current Voyager. But there surely is a chance of that happening, and its a DEADLY situation - since those caves are so dark you really need to have a light in there to move around and thus you cant really keep your weapon at the ready, and the halls are so small and narrow and cut around a lot so you can literally turn a corner and stare down a mouth, full of sharp teeth.

And I would not be suprised if there were more caves like that, even now, with the chances of them spawning there just being very small... though the DP one is a quaranteed.

Edited by Mroz4k

Fluffy 2.0 in the Ice Cave, Scruffy has been in the cave in DP for... almost ever (Since 2016, when I bought the game on Steam, if I remember correctly... no idea if Scruffy was there before that.). Both Special Wolves, both with a chance to spawn in or not,  neither a 100%, just like Fluffy was in The Carter Hydro Dam, back in the day. Same rules still in effect, AFAIK. I never trust those 2 caves unless and until the Special Wolf living there is dead, by my hand. 

The new thing seems to be wolves that will follow you into caves without loading screens now, if your stink-o-meter is lit up, or if they are aggor'd on you already. It used to be that running into a cave would de-aggro them, if I remember correctly. And they did not notice you if you were sleeping in acave with meat in your pack. I actually like that they do notice me now, feels much more real, gives me more reason to make sure I have no raw meat, fish, guts or hides on me if I need to camp in a cave, near wolf territory. I would love it if someday we might walk in on a wolf or a pack sleeping in a cave, or under a rock overhang, like you can sometimes walk in on a sleeping bear. I would expect to find wildlife sheltering against the weather, similar to how my survivor does. 

Well, guess there is no point trying to be vague about it anymore. :( I was trying to keep it at least sort-of secretish where the wolves can be generally encountered. Guess the mystery is out now.

I don't know if that was the case with the caves before, more likely it is a case with certain caves, if their pathfinding messed up. Wolves could othervise enter indoor caves all the time, in fact, sleeping in a cave like that on a normal bedroll without a fire can make you wake up to a struggling wolf. Same with a bear.

And that applies to places even where no predators are within the area - such as the summit of timberwolf mountain. At least that is my personal experience.

Edited by Mroz4k

On 4/15/2019 at 8:13 AM, Ice Hole said:

Dude... In wintermute you find a wolf body laying in the stair hallway or at least I did. That might be fluffy... Even tho he/she was a pain in the butt... It hurt's to have fluffy gone. 😢

1 hour ago, Ghosty 1944 said:

But then again I hear lore that fluffy escaped out the broken window... So should I still always have a flare in hand when I go to hydro? Most likely not but I still do.

No worries, the Dam is safe, there is so much stuff in there that the wolf would not be able to walk around there no more. 

1 hour ago, Ghosty 1944 said:

So do you think Fluffy escaped or died in hydro?

Now that is a good question - for a conspiracy thread. :D I should finally start that :D (I think it might be why they put the dead wolf in the Wintermute.)

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Ghosty 1944 said:

So do you think Fluffy escaped or died in hydro?

Isn't there a wolf carcass in lower dam (can't remember exactly)?  If not, I'm guessing he escaped (which makes sense since there is nothing to eat in there, unless of course he starts eating the food laying about...)