Is this a good idea or?

Guest kristaok

Guest kristaok

I been doing a Custom Loper run, pretty much the only difference that I changed if I remember correctly is to allow Knives and Hatchets, oh and the Rifle. But anyway I been leaving Food etc. at different places at each Region, is that wrong? or should I work towards moving all of the stuff to one location?

Thanks. 

Guest kristaok

Thanks. I love exploring, I just didn't know if I should be taking it all to one location or not. So I guess I'm doing good then. :)

Its not wrong. In fact, its a pretty smart play for just about any difficulty. I usually play the game by creating a series of little outposts around each region, that way if SHTF, I have a place to fall back to and recover.

As for Loper, not sure how great idea is to leave food behind, period, but I guess that depends on your playstyle. If you have a lot of food, and are already battling with weight, it makes perfect sense to leave food behind, or simply just never picking it up. Over-gearing is a pretty common bad habit in TLD, too. The temptation to "take everything with you". 

Guest kristaok

@Mroz4k The majority of it is Meat :P - I heard you can let it go to ruined and cook it up to 50% even though I have never tried yet. I usually keep an eye on my stores and try to eat it before it gets too bad.

Edited by kristaok

Level 5 cooking yes ruined to 50% so if you have excess meat and can't carry it . I often would pack some meat say if I was going to the forge for instance and didn't want to pack it all the way to Spence Homestead. I would just drop it in the Poachers Camp etc. If you leave it in strategic locations it's a pretty good idea if you have lots :) 

7 hours ago, kristaok said:

@Mroz4k The majority of it is Meat :P - I heard you can let it go to ruined and cook it up to 50% even though I have never tried yet. I usually keep an eye on my stores and try to eat it before it gets too bad.

I know. And yes, you are right, a 0% raw meat can be cooked and turns to 50% cooked meat (which doesnt really change much, on lvl below lvl 5 in cooking this meat will still likely give you food poisoning, and at lvl 5 in cooking, you cant get food poisoning anymore so you could easily just munch it raw if you wanted to. 

Instead, canned goods which should last basically forever seem to spoil quite fast once they are found. I think they should really spoil only if they are left outside in the cold, where the can could corrode and eventually ruin its contents, but for gameplay reasons the cans spoil fairly fast, and cooking a piece of meat renewes its durability by 50%.

My idea was to use a piece of raw meat, and cook it in a cooking pot with potable water to turn it into a meat stew. Basically the same kind of soup you get as a reward in story mode during Episode 1. I imagine the recipe would require 1.5 l of potable water, and a full 1kg worth of some kind of meat. It would cook for a long while, and when finished, you would get 5 cups worth of the "meat stew". The caloric value would depend on the meat, used in the recipe. If left outside in cold, soup would lose 10% condition a day on easiest settings, more depending on the difficulty. If left inside or in your inventory, the soup would lose whopping 25% of condition per ingame day, making it a very, very fastly spoiling food item. Its main advantage would be that once it goes cold, it can be re-heated on a fire, eaten and provides the warm core bonus for 1 ingame hour. That and no smell to predators would make it a perfect food for short-term traveling, because soon enough it would spoil.

To balance it out even further, character would need at least cooking level 3 to be able to cook it. Obviously, it would provide an ability to finally create your own food item that can provide warm core bonus, without relying on medical plants or tea bags or canned goods, all of which are items that are finite in the world. This would be an infinite item, because it would use meat and water, which are both items you can get infinite amounts of in the game.

1 hour ago, Ahatch said:

Level 5 cooking yes ruined to 50% so if you have excess meat and can't carry it . I often would pack some meat say if I was going to the forge for instance and didn't want to pack it all the way to Spence Homestead. I would just drop it in the Poachers Camp etc. If you leave it in strategic locations it's a pretty good idea if you have lots :) 

It does not matter what your level of cooking is, even at level 1 in cooking, if you cook a piece of raw meat, its durability will go up by 50%. That way, even if you find meat on carcasses, you can usually just cook it right away and get it up to the "safe" area of between 100 to 85% Condition when meat is safe to eat without a fear of food poisoning. But your point about leaving raw meat out in outposts is a decent one. Thing is, if you are in that desperate need for food, you might wanna have an item there that is ready-to-eat and doesnt need to be cooked first. Which is why in outposts, I leave a piece of infinite food item and some water so I can munch on it all instantly if I need to. But it is good to create some sort of meat stores in some outposts too, for sure, so that on your way out or way home, you can stop by there and have a bite, without a need to go out and hunt something real fast.

Apologies for the previous post. I would delete it because now I realized it was not a part of the other thread, but simply a question asked. It was better suited for the Upcoming update speculation post:

I was going to edit my post and remove that lengthy piece of post where I sound like an ass, but for some reason I cannot edit it anymore. So, I am sorry if I sound like an ass, I just woke up 15 minutes ago and have some personal issues going on so maybe I was not very welcoming. I am having my morning piece of caffeine now and my brain is starting to work again. So yea, that part about the stew idea belongs to the topic about future update.

And if I was in any way patronizing or just annoying, I appologize, I did not mean anything bad by it :) 

Guest kristaok

@Mroz4k Nah you didn't sound like an ass at all :P - and I agree I would love to see the ability to make Soup in TLD! :) 

Ps. I did not know that at level 5 Cooking I could eat Raw Meat! 😮 This all reminds me of this one dude on Youtube who eats nothing but Raw Meat... BLEEEEHH :P 

Edited by kristaok

2 hours ago, kristaok said:

@Mroz4k Nah you didn't sound like an ass at all :P - and I agree I would love to see the ability to make Soup in TLD! :) 

Ps. I did not know that at level 5 Cooking I could eat Raw Meat! 😮 This all reminds me of this one dude on Youtube who eats nothing but Raw Meat... BLEEEEHH :P 

Actually, dont quote me on that one :D I am not entirely sure thats the case, but everyone keeps saying that after lvl 5 cooking it is impossible to get food poisoning, so I am fairly certain you can just eat it raw. I always assumed that it was possible to contract those illnesses from uncooked food regardless of your cooking skill,  but I think others might be right there, I never really tested it.

Its still better to cook it because you get some extra calories from it thanks to the cooking skill, but I am fairly certain you can eat worm-driven 300 days old raw rabbit meat once you become the wizard of survival kitchen... I guess after so much time spent in the wilderness, you just arent affraid of eating anything anymore :D 

12 hours ago, Mroz4k said:

As for Loper, not sure how great idea is to leave food behind, period, but I guess that depends on your playstyle.

Even on Interloper you'll eventually have plenty of food. And it doesn't have to be a lot. Just enough for a handful of nights, so you have a little buffer until you need to hunt something

Guest kristaok

Thankfully on this run I do believe I am at level 5 Cooking :P 

I just checked some of my earlier Camping spots where I dropped my first bits of Meat in the Game and they are all Rancid hehe... Waste not, want not right? :P 

On 4/13/2019 at 5:56 PM, Mroz4k said:

Its not wrong. In fact, its a pretty smart play for just about any difficulty. I usually play the game by creating a series of little outposts around each region, that way if SHTF, I have a place to fall back to and recover.

Agreed. I set up base camps in most regions for exactly the SHTF reason.. I also try to set up mini camps (lil food, lil water etc..) for the same reason along travel routes within regions just in case i'm to heavy, tired, or  (insert dilemma here) 

I always store meat everywhere i can. imo having the choice to eat a ruined or rancid anything is better than fading(especially if you have a chance at cooking said meat), but that my long term thought process. Food poisoning? ...Phaw got Mushrooms and a bearskin bedroll for that.

level 5 cooking = no food poisoning? I have tried this a few times(cooking skill 5) with raw rabbit(98-100%) and have still gotten food poisoning roughly 2 of 5 times.  I just recently cooked a Soho salmon i found in a boat in DP at 32%. cooked it and woke up later to "ow my tummy."

2 minutes ago, ogreranger said:

level 5 cooking = no food poisoning? I have tried this a few times(cooking skill 5) with raw rabbit(98-100%) and have still gotten food poisoning roughly 2 of 5 times.  I just recently cooked a Soho salmon i found in a boat in DP at 32%. cooked it and woke up later to "ow my tummy."

See, that is exactly what I would think. Yet people seem to swear that there is no food poisoning on level 5, nor parasites. Id guess that at least in the case of food poisoning, maybe this applies to cooked meat only, not the raw ones...

What I dont get is people, saying to keep ruined processed food around, that you can eat it safely at level 5 with no fear of food poisoning. You cant generally "cook that" kind of food, only heat up the cans, which doesnt regen its durabilty nor improve its calories. Yet people imply heavily that you can eat it without getting sick from food poisoning. I currently dont have any saves up around that level so I cannot check any of this on my own yet.

Oh there's parasites for sure, regardless of cooking skill.. so far any carnivore meat I have chowed, raw or cooked has always increased my internal don't eat carnivores percentage. I have found if i eat bear up till say 15% and switch to anything not carnivore for the rest of the day the risk clears(risk check per 24hr period) I will say say i am RNG lucky so far but i do not go past 15% if i can help it.

So far that i have noticed, keeping the processed food around(ruined or above ) is beneficial because some of the food items in my experience are less likely to give you rot gut. I have cooked ruined pin peaches just to see if it helped and more often than not, no FP..More so than eating them slugs cold..Imo cook skill helps quite a bit but only ith the type of food item your eating..BTW i have gotten food poisoning from cooking 14% con pin peaches too so i think the RNG gods are always in play..The cooking skill 5 clearly states you will not get food poisoning, but in my reality i think if you test the DM there is always the possibility of rollin a 1😉

Guest kristaok

I haven't tried to eat any Raw Meats since hitting LVL 5 Cooking, but I will say I have yet to receive any Food Poisoning or Parasites from my Cooked Meats. :P - I will hop on real quick and eat some really bad Rancid Meat, and down really bad Canned Food and see what happens. 

Update:

So I ate some (Raw) Rancid Rabit Meat and Pinnacle Peaches, I slept for about 2 Days... So far I have had no Food Poisoning from those things.

1023938607_screen_(-325)_fe0676a3-9a89-4267-a078-c99ae77fd569.png.094fd9f0b7d6590b2d611c73f9957be9.png

But... when I went to eat some (Raw) Rancid Wolf Meat...

1251494479_screen_(-323)_238e7e3b-235b-4b0d-a01e-2e8e5f5591c9.png.122b2f2c4072b4875e052c94b091c795.png

This happened...

1366316378_screen_(-323)_25f2ee20-3e05-4297-834e-fd7586eed8e3.png.cbe598aa6fa0371851e5a3bad9c88fd8.png

Another Update: I also just got Food Poisoning from the Raw Rancid Wolf Meat... :/ 

Edited by kristaok

Guest kristaok
1 hour ago, Hawk said:

I could be wrong but I don't think you get parasites from cooked carnivore meat until you play Stalker or Interloper.

I was getting the Risks for Parasites on Custom Loper until I hit Cooking LVL5, then I stopped getting Food Poisoning and Parasites. That was until I decided to eat Raw Rancid Wolf Meat, I then got both Parasites and Food Poisoning. So it appears that you won't get Parasites or Food Poisoning from any Cooked Foods at LVL5 Cooking, but if it's Raw then that's a different story. Oddly I will say this; it wasn't the Raw Rancid Rabbit that harmed me, it was the Raw Rancid Wolf, I wonder why? Oh well. :P 

• 1 month later...

The first thing I did when I hit level 5 cooking was eat fresh raw fish (like, 98-99%) and got food poisoning. A day or two later I ate a ruined energy bar (0%) and that was just fine. I'd definitely say there's RNG at play, and it definitely seems to depend on what type of food you're eating.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Kid Kayole said:

The first thing I did when I hit level 5 cooking was eat fresh raw fish (like, 98-99%) and got food poisoning. A day or two later I ate a ruined energy bar (0%) and that was just fine. I'd definitely say there's RNG at play, and it definitely seems to depend on what type of food you're eating.

@kristaok Level 5 cooking negates all ill effects of "industrial" food or cooked meat, even if it's 0%. Raw meat and fish will still cause food poisoning, and parasites if it's wolf or bear. Not sure about unsafe water, and I don't care to try. Of course there's a bit of randomness, but more often than not you'll have trouble.

And concerning settings, on Stalker, Interloper and the hardest difficulty of Wintermute you can get parasites, on lower difficulty settings they're not an issue.

And @Mroz4k I've been eating total rubbish in my long stalker run, and never got food poisoning. I think I even have eaten a 0% can of sardines, which should have sickened Hedorah.

Edited by Doc Feral
  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Doc Feral said:

And @Mroz4k I've been eating total rubbish in my long stalker run, and never got food poisoning. I think I even have eaten a 0% can of sardines, which should have sickened Hedorah.

you are sooooo lucky! I'm jealous, just jealous.  I've eaten food at 65% (looking at you Sardines) and gotten food poisoning.  Of course I've also eaten some at 1% and been fine, but still soooo jealous.

On 4/15/2019 at 10:34 AM, kristaok said:

I was getting the Risks for Parasites on Custom Loper until I hit Cooking LVL5, then I stopped getting Food Poisoning and Parasites. That was until I decided to eat Raw Rancid Wolf Meat, I then got both Parasites and Food Poisoning. So it appears that you won't get Parasites or Food Poisoning from any Cooked Foods at LVL5 Cooking, but if it's Raw then that's a different story. Oddly I will say this; it wasn't the Raw Rancid Rabbit that harmed me, it was the Raw Rancid Wolf, I wonder why? Oh well. :P 

Trichinosis is caused by a round worm, its usually found in meat eating animals - so obligate carnivores and omnivores that have had access to meat.  Bears, wolves, foxes, pigs, etc.  Rabbits generally wouldn't have this particular parasite.  Food prep includes cooking the meat to an internal temp of 143 degrees F and letting it sit for a few minutes (3? 4? can't remember). If the meat is ground meat, you need to cook it to a higher internal temp, I think 160 degrees F.

6 hours ago, Jolan said:

you are sooooo lucky! I'm jealous, just jealous.  I've eaten food at 65% (looking at you Sardines) and gotten food poisoning.  Of course I've also eaten some at 1% and been fine, but still soooo jealous.

I'm doing that because I'm at cooking level 5. I've already told the sad story, but in a previous game, also at cooking level 5, I gobbled up a RAW piece of wolf flesh by mistake getting poisoning and 75% risk of parasites, which of course caused the affliction. What makes the story sad is that it happened a few hours before the update which introduced the "are you sure you want to eat raw meat?" message. So no, I'm not lucky at all...

We all agree sardines are evil, probably canned in Innsmouth.

• Like 2

The key part of level 5 cooking's food poisoning and intestinal parasites benefit is that food (meat and fish) has to be cooked. As the description (paraphrase) says, "You don't get sick from food you prepare". 

As far as game play goes, level 5 cooking does allow a player to cook meat and fish, leave it in the snow or even inside, and consume it safely at any time. This would suggest that distributing extra cooked meat and fish to other locations, along with adequate amounts of water, would help in the survival game.  You don't have to take advantage of being able to consumed ruined (0%) cooked meat and fish with impunity (given level 5 cooking), but that is up to the player.