Upcoming Update Speculation

Guest kristaok

Guest kristaok

Dev Diary - March 2019

I think the NEW Food Item will be; Canned Veggies! - I had mentioned a while back how I would like to see Canned Veggies make an appearance, and I think I just might! It would make sense considering we already have Canned Peaches (Fruit). 

If the new Fodd Item isn't Canned Veggies, then I think it will be Meat from a NEW huntable Animal! I am hoping so bad that we do get more kinds of Animals to hunt! 

As for the NEW Clothing Item, I guess it will be something else that we can craft like the Fur Clothes we have now. 

What are yall's guesses? :) 

What I most want to see in the next update are corrections to the levels of illumination in houses.  Some houses, especially the PV farmhouse, are so dark inside that I can't see objects even in the middle of the day unless I use a lantern.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, peteloud said:

What I most want to see in the next update are corrections to the levels of illumination in houses.  Some houses, especially the PV farmhouse, are so dark inside that I can't see objects even in the middle of the day unless I use a lantern.

I have a feeling that is done so on purpose. Like the old caves used to be pitch black, some houses have very dark parts to it where items can be lying around and easily missed if one isnt looking hard enough.

1 hour ago, kristaok said:

@peteloudI agree, I hate having to use up my lantern oil because I can't see to check for supplies. 

If you use them sparingly, you wont really waste that much of it. Unless we are talking about Carter dam, I rarely ever use up more then 0,03 of lamp fuel per house.

Back to the topic:
I dont think they would announce it as a new food item if they were adding in new animal. Im guessing it will be something processed, some sort of canned food... but I would very much like to be wrong. I want to see soup in the game, finally. Some sort of new food item out of the animal resources that would provide re-heatable, re-newable type of food item, which would make the warming up benefit much more useful. Something that makes a use of the cooking pots we now have in the game, and which would be different in the way it behaves, compared to other food items. To balance its uses, it would spoil fairly fast, meaning that it would not be the type of food you could stockpile.

• Like 1

Either its because I really dont get out to PV that much, or maybe just because I have been really busy and have not really spend that much time in TLD these past two years... but I cant say Id remember PV to be some sort of doomsday region for bad weather.

Or maybe its because I dont really let bad weather stop me, since I know most maps fairly well to navigate even in blizzard, and I rarely play on harder difficulties then Voyagerish custom modes so weather usually aint a big problem. Though lots may have changed since the last time I did a proper deep dive into TLD.

Guest kristaok

When a Blizzard hits I still try to book it and do things I need, I then try to hurry back inside and warm up real quick and then head back out. I'm basically always antsy to be on the move, I'm pretty nomadic. 

I make sure to have Food stored up in pretty much all Regions since I'm always traveling, and sight seeing. 

Since im doing a Custom Loper run now, I need to get on my chore of continuing to gather Wood and Coal and work harder at leaving those in each Region as well. 

10 minutes ago, Hawk said:

One thing I like about getting out in blizzards, if I have warm clothing, is that wolves and bears generally aren't out.

As @Mroz4k said, I know the regions well enough to be able to move around in blizzards.

Congratulations, you have discovered my trick to how to loot the high-risk areas on Interloper. Blizzard is the best way to head into Coastal Town on Loper, for example. Just quickly get in, look around for loot, then get out, no point to ever really return :) 

Guest kristaok

@Hawk and @Mroz4k I noticed this too... heh heh... well except for yesterday it was foggy and I couldn't see too well, out of nowhere this Bear roars I about fainted! 😮 

Just now, kristaok said:

@Hawk and @Mroz4k I noticed this too... heh heh... well except for yesterday it was foggy and I couldn't see too well, out of nowhere this Bear roars I about fainted! 😮 

Fog aint the same as blizzard. Fog has animals still out. KInda the whole point of that weather, being sort of risky... not just because its easy to get lost, but it is also much more difficult to notice animals in advance. You have to really rely on your hearing in that one.

Guest kristaok

@Mroz4k Yea I have definitely learned my lesson, that was SCARY! I am such a BIG chicken... the Wolves bark and Bears growl really makes my heart beat fast, and it makes me hold my breathe in fear. 😮 

18 hours ago, Hawk said:

One thing I like about getting out in blizzards, if I have warm clothing, is that wolves and bears generally aren't out.

The key word is generally.  I used to travel in blizzards too.  Blizzards were like a travel pass for interlopers, just take your clothes off to save on wear and run around the place.  After getting jumped by a wolf :wolf: during a blizzard I no longer think it is safe as it once was. 

A blizzard does offer advantages such as low visibility, sound dampening and scent wiping.  

The blizzard I travelled in was whipping around for an hour (when it started I slept for one hour).  Went outside and out on the ice a wolf attacked me.  Never bothered to fully test it out.  Now I travel during blizzards but keep to the safe areas.

Edited by Ice Hole

I think there's a difference between a heavy snow with strong wind and a blizzard. I'm almost sure a true blizzard is louder and has bigger snowflakes.

I'm currently in PV and recently used one of the many blizzards to make a wolfproof dash from the barn in the general direction of the Rural Crossroads (meaning I walked to the road, turned left and hoped to live long enough) carrying a dozen kgs of raw bear steaks, planning to establish a temporary base and keep mapping, since I don't know much of the region. Blizzards and fog are cunningly taking turns to thwart my geographical activity.

Edited by Doc Feral

44 minutes ago, Doc Feral said:

there's a difference between a heavy snow with strong wind and a blizzard. I'm almost sure a true blizzard is louder and has bigger snowflakes.

That could have been the case.  Seemed like a blizzard but I have now no way to confirm as it happened at least a year ago.  

If its howling, its a blizzard. If its not howling, it is just a very strong wind with snowfall. Thing is, the animals dont just "despawn" - so if you are out during the normal weather, that then turns to blizzard, then there will still be animals outside as if the weather was normal. At least within your general vicinity, but probably within the whole region.

You need to enter the indoors, then leave again for outdoors for the animals to properly despawn.

At least those are my observations. Sometimes the animals despawn on their own. But not usually. Alas, it is possible to get jumped by a wolf during a blizzard as well if the animals didnt properly despawned.

I suspect most of the additions will be relevant to chapter 3 in some sense, meaning the clothing and food item might be used as plot points for Astrid. I have a small sliver of hope that the new clothing item will be craftable(wolfskin long scarf, rabbit earmuffs? ), but logic says otherwise. It might very well be Astrid's green scarf or some sort of accessory, maybe even mathis' awesome sheepskin jacket. 

I would love to get at least a vague feeler of the date though, I know people bitch about missing deadlines and stuff, but not having any clue of any possible timeframe is even worse to me. 

Edited by Dan_

I am surprised that some people like blizzards.

In my early days of playing TLD, a little over a year ago, I was often caught out in bad weather.  Surviving the cold was a greater problem than surviving the wolves.  In those early days I didn't realise that I could build a snow-hole or sleep in cars. (I didn't realise that the radial menu offered activities not available from the inventory.)

After several hundred games days I developed a different strategy in which I give a higher priority to the weather.  I would avoid going out in very bad weather or even travelling when the wind was blowing from in front of me.  Once I adopted that strategy life became easy and fairly safe, apart from the occasional wolf or bear attack.  I guess that I have not needed to build a snow-hole for over 1,000 game days. (Of course this is helped by now knowing where there are safe places to shelter.)

I find this interesting from the real life situation.  Hinterland covers their ass by saying that this is a game and not a training simulation, but I feel that I have learned a lot about survival in harsh winter conditions from the game.  Alas, my days on snowy hills were decades ago, tonight I gave up and brought my glass of wine indoors, from my garden, when I felt that I could do with a Cowichan sweater.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Guest kristaok
6 hours ago, hoasd1 said:

i think the new food item is this drink that announced in twitter.

I agree with Raph, what the heck is that lol. 

On 4/14/2019 at 10:19 PM, kristaok said:

Tell me. There's nothing more frightening than seeing the silhouette of a bear appearing through the fog :D. It happened to me in CH in the upper roads where there is no escape. Made me so nervous that didn't find the trailer with the fog and had to clim the rope.

About the new item, looks like some kind of energizer (maybe a boost). By the way, we can also see the revolver in that gif :P.

Edited by LilWolf