New Ideas For Survival

zaonce

I Love this game. Can I just say how rewarding this game is to play. A breath of fresh air.

I have a game atm with about 196 days survived. Have not played for about 6 months. I've simply run out of things to achieve other than keep surviving another day.

I am well set up on coastal highway. Spare everything. All best gear, resources stockpiled and spares made 🙂

I would just love it if there were some more tems to try to work towards. Would help keep interest in the game. 

Here's just some thoughts:

1. Some additional clothing items crafted from bear / elk skins

2. A better bow or better arrows

3. Craftable bait to attract predators

4. Baitable traps for wolves and bears, spike trap pit trap etc

5. The ability  to craft new amunition from spent catridges

6. water catchers

7. craftable placeable containers, log rack, skin rack, box etc

There are so many possibilites, which could require gathering / farming to achieve. This would keep you busy when you've got comfortable.

Guest kristaok

You may get better hits here;

Wish List Share your ideas for things you'd like to see added to the game in the future.

Now on to your post, 

1. Some additional clothing items crafted from bear / elk skins

2. A better bow or better arrows

3. Craftable bait to attract predators

4. Baitable traps for wolves and bears, spike trap pit trap etc

5. The ability  to craft new amunition from spent catridges

6. water catchers

7. craftable placeable containers, log rack, skin rack, box etc

1. I would love some more Gear in general, along with more Food and Weapon choices! So I agree with ya there. 😁

2. I recently made a Wishlist Post about this here; Weapon Ideas. I mentioned too how I would love to see a Hunting Bow, Double Bow, and or a Cross Bow. 🏹

3. We kind of already can use Meat or Guts as Bait by dropping it for them, even though I have never really used this feature. :P 

4. I also posted about that here; Bolas? Throwing Knives? Tomahawks? Metal Trap?. I agree that having more of a variety in the Weapons / Traps department would be a good thing. :hatchet::huntingknife:

5. I am not quite sure how I feel about this considering not many people know how to make their own Bullets these days, so I think it's a NO for me. Sorry. 😓

6. I don't know if this idea about "Water Catchers" could fully work considering it's never raining, it's too cold to rain, instead it seems to only snow. I think keeping it the way it currently is, is best. :) 

7. I don't know... I usually just lay my logs near the Fire if it's outside, or on the Porch if I am Camping somewhere. So I really don't need a Log Rack, as for Skin Racks, Boxes, etc. ... I mean I like some variety, I love options, and choices, but I also hate games that have excess Crafting. So I am also going to have to say it's a NO for me, sorry. 😓

So we agree on some things, so you do have some good ideas anyway. :D 

It's all about balance, you want to have more stuff sure, but we also don't want to complicate things too much. :P 

I like the ideas in theory but i agree with kristaok on his points. But for 6 i could see that as a passive thing if you build it indoors put in snow and it passivally melts so would be nice to have if you are out hunting and what not and you dont have to worry about it melting/boiling away. as for 7. Some one mentioned they wanted a sled of some sort to haul things. Your idea on a holder and the sled idea could be made into 1.  Outside of that 7 doesnt make sense unless you want it as a visual because why use a stick only container or stone only thing when you can just choose a house and make this dresser a fire only thing this wardrobe a tool only thing etc.  in my opinion everything could be made into the game if they are changed to fit in. but it would be under the op type stuff or under the dont use if you dont like it type of thing.

• Upvote 1

Guest kristaok

@TheUnknown I would love to see a Sled for pulling heavy gear make it into the game for sure, I just don't know how it could be drug up huge mountains - I am guessing it can't? :P 

Guest kristaok
Just now, DerpyLemon115 said:

You can always make a pulley system of some kind to get it up timber wolf. 

I never thought of that... :PThat's a good idea! - I just feel like only being able to carry 40ish lbs is not enough, I would love to be able to pull at least 100 lbs. 

Thanks for the comments.

Not saying my ideas are great. I just want some more things to be able to achieve and keep me interested.

Survival is a breeze at day 196. In terms of containers - see the below picture - I currently store stuff at each main area location on the floor and in cabinets. The below example is a sample of stuff in gas station coastal highway. I have several locations similar, like mystery lake, pleasant, desolation and broken railroad to keep it interesting.

Good point about water catchers and no rain - doh ! I understand about bait. You couldn't get to day 196 without gut drops 😉 I mean a better form of bait with a wider range than gut.

Maybe some new resources in the game and some simple crafting would just help keep interest while I await episode 3 🙂

12-04-2019_11-11-05-u2d0k33w.png

Edited by zaonce

On 4/12/2019 at 1:42 PM, hozz1235 said:

Play at a harder difficulty level

Seriously...with all due respect..What he said

On 4/12/2019 at 5:52 AM, zaonce said:

Survival is a breeze at day 196

You have not mentioned what difficulty level you survive on..BTW well done on making Q-hut a thriving place to survive..

Not doubting you're skills, imo, you may need to challenge yourself a tad more..I dread the the day i state this game is a breeze..although i will say i could handle a day or two more in a row without a bone marrow freezing, should have stayed in the hut boilin water, but now i'm 15% condition with hypothermia and there be a bear lolligaggin at the front door of the quonset hut..You aint dying..you aint living..

I will be the one who is not going to tell you to do the community challenges or play harder difficulty (unless that difficulty is custom mode that is not really harder, but more custom-fit to your liking then the original difficulties).

I frankly don't like to play the harder difficulties, I find them either stressful or boring. Voyager and custom modes that are fit around this difficulty is where my heart will always be.

But from your pictures, I know instantly what your problem is. Its the same thing we all have been struggling with at one point of the game or another. That is "overstocking". You have created such high stores of things that you don't really need to go out and fight for your survival anymore. No wonder the game becomes so boring afterward.

You don't have to hunt up entire forest full of deer right away. Instead, always go out hunting and bag one or two, create a short-time supply... And on the next day, give yourself a task to collect firewood. And, the next day it's beautiful weather out... so just decide to go out for a walk. Why not? The point of the game is to enjoy yourself, right? So instead of going into that hardened "always-a-survivor" kind of mode, just take it easy for a spell, and just admire the beauty this game can show in its beautiful sky. Go out on a hike somewhere, visit some vista, and just admire it. Spend a night outside, because why not? You can afford it supplies-wise, and you are clearly hardened enough to do it. Go out on trips just to visit some locations again, because why not? If you really want to, you can also map them - that alone is a task for hundred of days worth of playing, since it takes about 30 days to fully map the whole region.

The sooner you stop thinking of survival only, the sooner you will be able to truly appreciate this game for what it is :) 

• Like 2

Guest kristaok

I should probably consider going back to Pilgrim or Voyager myself, I used to play those a lot until I got into doing this Custom Loper. 

I am playing voyager. I disagree that playing a harder level will make the game more interesting. It just means I’ll be dying more. I want things to work towards not to be punished by wolves. Losing clothing and condition is a regular occurrence in voyager already from wolves. I can play at that [stalker] level but it isn’t enjoyable. 

Edited by zaonce

3 hours ago, zaonce said:

I am playing voyager. I disagree that playing a harder level will make the game more interesting. It just means I’ll be dying more. I want things to work towards not to be punished by wolves. Losing clothing and condition is a regular occurrence in voyager already from wolves. I can play at that [stalker] level but it isn’t enjoyable. 

If you lose condition and clothes to wolves on Voyageur, then you are probably putting yourself into the harms way too much by the way you play. The idea on that mode is to avoid the wolves as best as you can. That means sneaking past them, not letting them spot you in the first place.

I find two ways of dealing with the wolves. First involves the use of stones. You throw stones, wolves investigate em, you sneak past, no encounter happens.

The other one is a confrontation, but a safe one. You will need weapon for this one, preferably a bow, because the range does not have to be far, and bow is something you can always re-craft from the items that are plentiful in the world. This method takes advantage of baits.

You make small pieces of meat to use for baits. You dont cook em, you let them degrade, in fact. Then, the wolves will go after you. You hit quick button to place the bait down and the wolves, initially interested in you, will home in on the bait instead. You face the wolf straight away as it approaches you and walk backwards some distance away from the bait. You line yourself with the approach of the wolf, and as its coming closer to the bait, you shoot it.

These are two easiest ways to deal with wolves in just about any difficulty. Just remember not to use them both. If you carry baits, you wont suceed by distracting the wolves with stones because they will likely smell you and home in on your instead.

Its just a matter of training. Soon enough you wont have to deal with wolf struggles pretty much at all.

4 hours ago, kristaok said:

I should probably consider going back to Pilgrim or Voyager myself, I used to play those a lot until I got into doing this Custom Loper. 

Its just a matter of personal taste. Some people prefer the harder difficulties. Some like the more laidback game. I play Voyager difficulty with Interloper weather settings, and bountiful loot, because I like to loot locations over and over till Ive re-shaped the world to allow me a safe travel from one place to another without a fear of ever running into too much trouble that I wouldnt be able to handle it. 

3 hours ago, zaonce said:

I want things to work towards not to be punished by wolves.

That is a very narrow-minded approach. You dont really need things to work towards, those things you would work towards would be just artificial goals anyway. And even those would eventually run out. What you need to understand is how to set short term goals for yourself to keep yourself entertained. No game is endless - but if you learn to live within the game, you will enjoy it for a very long time. Luckily, this game has that potential - you can set goals for yourself with whats in the game, and as long as you never go overboard and start hoarding, the few tasks you can do within the game can keep you entertained for years. There is a reason why Hinterland doesnt really add more long-term goals like cabin building and such, because in the end there would be no point. Once the people would reach these "goals" they would just want other goals. Its not really what this game is about, either.

For as many hours I've spent playing and practically having the maps memorized, I still enjoy a Custom Voyageur-type game.  I like the aggression levels of Voy, but prefer to have more plentiful bear & moose and harsher weather.  On the flip side, I tend to turn up loot a little, because, well, frankly, looting is one of my favorite parts of the game.  I'm a (not a hoader) but a...hell, don't even know the term, but like to be well-stocked IRL.

Custom mode was, IMO, one of the best enhancements to the game.  It allows you to tweak the game for maximum enjoyment.

hozz1235,

" Custom mode was, IMO, one of the best enhancements to the game.  It allows you to tweak the game for maximum enjoyment. "

Your comment hits a fundamental issue.  Some people play the game with only themselves to satisfy, some people want to show others how well, relatively, they are doing. 

Being able to create customs games means that comparisons are meaningless unless the details of the level of the game are given so that others can compare their experience with that of others.  I suspect that experiences and achievements described by some players are at a very easy Pilgrim level, or at the other end of the scale, an Interloper version with easy everything.

Having a restricted set of levels is good when people are trying to compare their experience, successes, with others.  I am occasionally irritated when I detect a bit of bullsh*t.  Having custom levels is great for people who want to play an individual game.

All of this doesn't really matter anyhow.  Whichever way people chose to play is up to them.  If they get enjoyment from their way of playing, Great !

Agreed, if you are looking to compare and/or compete with other players, the playing-field usually is not even.  Unless, you say, "I got this achievement/feat/etc. while only playing interloper."

Personally, I don't play to compete, I play to have fun and share experiences with the rest of the community.

2 hours ago, hozz1235 said:

hell, don't even know the term, but like to be well-stocked IRL.

Custom mode was, IMO, one of the best enhancements to the game.  It allows you to tweak the game for maximum enjoyment.

Could not have said this better. 

I think you and me love the same exact kind of modes - a somewhat challenging, realistical mode. Imma start calling it Prepper mode. :D Cause I think that would be the word you were looking for, to describe yourself - as a non-hoarder, but well stocked, seasoned survivalist :D 

Guest kristaok
1 hour ago, hozz1235 said:

Agreed, if you are looking to compare and/or compete with other players, the playing-field usually is not even.  Unless, you say, "I got this achievement/feat/etc. while only playing interloper."

Personally, I don't play to compete, I play to have fun and share experiences with the rest of the community.

This is me, I play to have fun... if I get some Achievements along the way great, but even then I don't mind it when I don't get any Achievements I have nobody to show off to, or any reason to show off. :) TLD just calms me down, and that's one of the many reasons I am so addicted to this game... so addicted in fact I get the Tetris Effect a LOT! :P 

On 4/15/2019 at 1:30 PM, Mroz4k said:

If you lose condition and clothes to wolves on Voyageur, then you are probably putting yourself into the harms way too much by the way you play. The idea on that mode is to avoid the wolves as best as you can. That means sneaking past them, not letting them spot you in the first place.

I find two ways of dealing with the wolves. First involves the use of stones. You throw stones, wolves investigate em, you sneak past, no encounter happens.

The other one is a confrontation, but a safe one. You will need weapon for this one, preferably a bow, because the range does not have to be far, and bow is something you can always re-craft from the items that are plentiful in the world. This method takes advantage of baits.

You make small pieces of meat to use for baits. You dont cook em, you let them degrade, in fact. Then, the wolves will go after you. You hit quick button to place the bait down and the wolves, initially interested in you, will home in on the bait instead. You face the wolf straight away as it approaches you and walk backwards some distance away from the bait. You line yourself with the approach of the wolf, and as its coming closer to the bait, you shoot it.

These are two easiest ways to deal with wolves in just about any difficulty. Just remember not to use them both. If you carry baits, you wont suceed by distracting the wolves with stones because they will likely smell you and home in on your instead.

Its just a matter of training. Soon enough you wont have to deal with wolf struggles pretty much at all.

Its just a matter of personal taste. Some people prefer the harder difficulties. Some like the more laidback game. I play Voyager difficulty with Interloper weather settings, and bountiful loot, because I like to loot locations over and over till Ive re-shaped the world to allow me a safe travel from one place to another without a fear of ever running into too much trouble that I wouldnt be able to handle it. 

That is a very narrow-minded approach. You dont really need things to work towards, those things you would work towards would be just artificial goals anyway. And even those would eventually run out. What you need to understand is how to set short term goals for yourself to keep yourself entertained. No game is endless - but if you learn to live within the game, you will enjoy it for a very long time. Luckily, this game has that potential - you can set goals for yourself with whats in the game, and as long as you never go overboard and start hoarding, the few tasks you can do within the game can keep you entertained for years. There is a reason why Hinterland doesnt really add more long-term goals like cabin building and such, because in the end there would be no point. Once the people would reach these "goals" they would just want other goals. Its not really what this game is about, either.

At day 196 I have had 6 wolf struggles. I've killed 128 wolves and probably avoided 20 times that amount. Some times a wolf just surprises you on certain choke points on certain maps. 6 is not too bad though. You go on at length trying to teach me how to interact with wolves. I think I had learned this by about day 20 of my first game of survival. I especially love the bit where you say, I need a weapon. I mean really ? Day 196 and I'm complaining about lack of items and content and you think I wouldn't know all this. Lol. I have all the items, many times over. 

Your logic around goals in strange. Don't add any more crafting / items in because its pointless as people will just get bored after finishing those. Well on that basis, why have any items at all. Why even a game ?

This thread was started to suggest some ideas for new items to keep goals in the game and ensure it remains interesting. Not to talk about difficulty preferences. Not to tell me I'm narrow minded for having an opinion.

So most of the feats achieved. Most of the challenges done. All regions looted. I guess there is nothing left to do other than play again on increased difficulty - YAWN.

Edited by zaonce

If you have taken that tone to expect a confrontation, relax. I won't argue with you. It's just sad, that you would take such snarky attitude at someone who offered advice. And most of all, you completely ignored my previous comment which basically handed you the keys how to solve your own problem. I mean you no disrespect, and I do not wish to fight, so if my comments in any way offend you, you have my word I wont post any more, all you need to do is ask. That said, I think it is only fair I get to use the same kind of attitude with you :) 

If you whine about wolves and how they are tearing your life apart, it is fairly natural someone will give pointers on how to deal with them. I believe it is better to write down how to deal with them and offer guidance, then to say nothing. Because for all the talk about wolves in this thread, anyone new who is having wolf problems will see this thread pop up in their search, and will eventually find my thread on how to deal with them. It may hold no use to you, but it will to them. Even if that is the only reason to write it, Im happy I did. 

Let me correct you - I never said they shouldn't add more content. I merely said that adding new content won't change anything for you. Even if they did, these would be artificial goals and you would reach them within next, what, 40 ingame days? That's what, 8 hours of gameplay? How long do you think it would take them to add that new content, and then the next one? New craftable clothes, with your supplies... that's what, 3 in-game days to craft the items with the stockpiles that you already have? How long will that take you? 20 minutes of play time, crafting? I am sure it will be very satisfying gameplay for you, staring down that workbench.

But of course, I hope for more content within the game. If I didn't, I wouldn't spend so much time discussing ideas on Wishlist with everyone. That said - if you want me to take your suggestions more seriously, then you should put more effort into them yourself. To say "add more craftable clothing" is not a suggestion, it is a request, and pretty arrogant at that. Instead, if you suggest what kind of specific, craftable item they should add, what materials will it use to be crafted, how long to craft it with what tools and requirements... well, we will have an actual suggestion that we can discuss further, right? More content is better then less.

However, more content will never fix this issue of boredom you have, because it is not the fault of the game, it is in the way you taught yourself how to play it. By playing it like surviving is the most important thing in the world. Like nothing else matters than building up enough supplies to not have to do anything ever again. In all your infinite wisdom of surviving till Day 200, you have forgotten that simpliest fact about the games - you play them to enjoy them. If you are not enjoying it, its an indication that you are doing something wrong.

But maybe I don't know what I am talking about, this game has been my favorite since 2014 and I still find it very enjoyable. I will wish you good luck on surviving, if you think that by now you know enough about the game to use that tone, then by all means. I know a lot about that kind of attitude, and that boredom, I struggled with it in the past, too. It is, by far, the most efficient killer in this game. Because everyone, everyone who feels that boredom will sooner or later start taking unnecessary risks, and at some point, luck runs out. But that might be good news for you, because if you die unexpectantly, you will need to start a new game, which means no more boredom, at least till you get to that same point again.

I have just recently started new Voyager, figured I might finally finish the Steam achievements for once (I usually play Prepper difficulty, a custom settings which is basically more punishing Voyager with rich loots). I've had all Feats except for firemaster since about a month after they added them. I could easily be one of the most experienced vets still active of these forums, and yet I know I still have plenty to learn :)  Despite that extensive knowledge, I still got too cocky, and on that Voyager I started I dropped down to 3% Condition on 2nd ingame day. But I bounced back, spawned in Timberwolf mountain, just now Im on my way to convinience store, its about Day 13 of my survival and I am already crafting wolfskin coat and have most of the best gear within the game. So, now my goal is to loot basically every location within the world in about 70 in-game days, to collect the items with low decay value so I can use them and repair them before they become ruined. And also to collect every skill book in the game early so I can help myself raise the skills, without relying on cheap exploits like re-building tons of campfires with a lit torch, or cooking hundreds of 0,03 pcs of raw meat. The only thing I'm currently missing is a Bow, which I am soon gonna be able to craft.

I've easily made it to Day 700 in my past games, I can never get bored of the game because I never collect or take anything more then what I need. It's very simple and efficient way to keep the game interesting.

Finally, let me ask these few questions, to respond to your ideas:
Why do you think a better bow or better arrows will help solve your problems? Do you find the current bow and arrow to be in any way not sufficient?

Why do you need wolf or bear traps, or baits (beyond the baits we currently have in the game already), items that would, for all intents and purposes, make hunting these animals much safer? Would that not, logically, contribute to you, having even more of these resources, at lesser effort, and therefore, be even more bored with the game?

How do you propose you would "create" new ammunition? Because I happen to have a basic idea how smokeless gunpowder is made, which I believe most people dont know, and even less would be able to replicate, even if they had appropriate equipment. So unless we are talking about finding all the components while looting, its kinda impossible. Not to mention average person would not know how to put the bullet together, either. (and why, might as well just put more bullets into the game in the first place)

Do you experience a lack of water that you would need a new way to collect it? Running out of snow in your game?

Most of these hold 0 value for the game. That said, you did get a few good ideas. Like the containers... they would be invaluable at storing items like sticks, since its such a chore to pick them off the ground, and especially in some outposts, they can easily quickly fill out the containers anyway.

You should do what you want. Don't listen to them, suggesting harder difficulties, unless you enjoy playing those difficulties to begin with, it won't help with your boredom. The only way to get out of that boredom is by realizing where that boredom originates and then evolving in a way that it does not affect you anymore. After all, life is about a change. Survival, or even this game, is no different.

Edited by Mroz4k
  • Upvote 1

Guest kristaok

@zaonce mroz was just trying to help you by giving you pointers on how to avoid Wolves, and be less bored with TLD. So yea there was no need for the attitude. 

With that kind of attitude I doubt you'll win many friends here, eventually nobody will want to reply to your topics in fear of being treated like this. 

And yes this topic was about ideas, but you did mention boredom / running out of things to do. So naturally people here are going to give you ideas of things that may enhance and prolong your gameplay / enjoyment. What you do with those pointers is up to you though, but I would consider mroz and his advice for sure, because he tends to have the best advice and he knows what he's talking about. 

Anyway I wish you luck with TLD. 

Just be patient Episode 3 is coming, and Hinterland is going to be adding more things soon for the next Update. 

6 minutes ago, kristaok said:

@zaonce mroz was just trying to help you by giving you pointers on how to avoid Wolves, and be less bored with TLD. So yea there was no need for the attitude. 

With that kind of attitude I doubt you'll win many friends here, eventually nobody will want to reply to your topics in fear of being treated like this. 

And yes this topic was about ideas, but you did mention boredom / running out of things to do. So naturally people here are going to give you ideas of things that may enhance and prolong your gameplay / enjoyment. What you do with those pointers is up to you though, but I would consider mroz and his advice for sure, because he tends to have the best advice and he knows what he's talking about. 

Anyway I wish you luck with TLD. 

Just be patient Episode 3 is coming, and Hinterland is going to be adding more things soon for the next Update. 

While I very much appreciate the kind gesture of having my back, it wasn't necessary. In fact, I don't think I really should have made that previous comment to vent. This is how I usually get myself in the "trouble with the law" :D. Last thing Id like to see is a cool person, getting dragged into this with me because of my own snarky mouth :) 

I really appreciate it, but OP has the right to be snarky at me, because in the end, I broke the forum etiquette first. The original topic was about ideas to add to the game and until my previous comment, I haven't really reacted to those. So I kinda earned that attitude there myself :) 

• Upvote 1

Mroz4k How rude you are, and ironically so much more than in the way my response was written. Is this the kind of way that people in this community typically post ?  😬 

I guess the amount of posts here determines how much someone knows about the game. A first time poster surely knows nothing about the game. They couldn't have been playing the game for many years or for hundreds of hours. Their ideas should be criticised, dismissed and closed down. Most importantly, don't forget to slowly patronise them with super-lengthy written comments that are off topic. 

Tells me all I need to know, thanks. I'll avoid these forums from now on.