Bolas? Throwing Knives? Tomahawks? Metal Trap?

Guest kristaok

Guest kristaok

I like the idea of having premade weapons, but I also love having the ability to make my own when the others run out etc. So I was looking up primitive hunting weapons today and I saw "Bolas", I thought maybe this could work! I am still thinking the Slings and Slingshots could work, but this could also be another neat idea! It could be fashioned with 3 Cloth and 3 Rocks, and it could have so many uses before it breaks. Hinterland could make a skill for Throwing or something, and this along with the Slings / Slingshots could give XP for that skill. 

The Bolas could be used to take down Rabbits, even though they were also used to hunt big birds etc. in the olden days.

Here's to hoping Hinterland adds some game birds to hunt! :P 

maxresdefault.thumb.jpg.5aaad8ad98ad67f3573c8f704113a134.jpg

Oh and since we have the ability to make an Improvised Knife, why not be able to choose while creating it whether we want to make it like that, or make it throwable? We could make Throwing Knives and they could be used also to hunt Rabbits, and maybe future game. 

download.jpg.ef00cca2cd6dc8c4b602d46bdd2d268e.jpg

If the Throwing Knife don't tickle your fancy, how about a Tomahawk? It could require the same parts as the Improvised Hatchet, but also require 2 Feathers. We could have a Throwing Skill or something, and the Tomahawk and Throwing Knives could level up that Skill.

Also to keep the Throwing Knives and Tomahawk from being too OP we could cause a sway reaction in the beginning levels, the aim could be poor meaning we may miss a lot, and if it does hit the target it may only stun the animal and not kill it until much later on. 

images.jpg.7dd8383f79f4208ca391fa4fd85e45ff.jpg

We could also have the ability to make Metal Traps kind of like how we can already make Snares for Rabbits, but instead of being for Rabbits the Metal Traps could be for the bigger game like Deer, Bear, Wolves, and Moose. We could also eventually get a Trapping skill that levels up each time we make and set up a Trap. 

Oh and to make it not too OP, there could be a chance for damaging Yourself and or Clothing in the beginning Skill stages when the Trap is triggered too early by accident. 

Bear_trap.jpg.9e3cd37138d19f3b60db5bc3765df396.jpg

Ps. I know my ideas are goofy, I can't help it I just get excited! I LOVE TLD! ❤️ 

Edited by kristaok

I am, and always have been, a great fan of the Bola as a weapon idea for The Long Dark. It makes sense because Bola is originally an inuit weapon (though they were called differently - qilumitautit). Even if birds were not a part of the prey-to-be-hunted within game (would be nice if they were), bolas still provide a reasonable use as a weapon to hunt rabbits with. Working similarly as the stones, their main advantage would be that they would cover a wider area when thrown, and make stunning of those rabbits a tad-bit easier. And, unlike slings and slingshots, this weapon would still stun-only, making it a fairly balanced variety option for hunting of small game.

As for throwing knives and tomahawks - I dont have a problem with them, but their usage is a little bit pointless in my opinion. I imagine using them to hunt passive wildlife would be a bit difficult, and against predators they would provide decent last-second attack weapon, but next to no defense value, as a thrown weapon would not break the charge of the predator, unless it was a well placed tomahawk hit on the wolf. If there was some sort of skill curve included in their use, I would not mind them, for variety.

Traps are a bit of a problem. While I would agree they make perfect sense, there is a balance issue in the game. Hunting, using such traps is not only questionable ethically (could affect ESRB) but also significantly simplifies hunting challenge. I am happy to discuss mechanics of traps further, to see if we can figure out a way to make them balanced and interesting for the use within the game.

Guest kristaok

Yay I am glad you like and agree with some of my ideas, I kind of figured the bigger Traps would be harder to balance though. Perhaps it could be done? I don't know... but yea for the Throwing Knives or Tomahawk I was thinking of giving them a learning curve, in the beginning you can miss a lot etc., then later on you can get more precise until you eventually kill the critter. :P 

PS. These Weapon types would be REALLY good for those who are wanting to rough it, since I know some people prefer to hunt with more primitive gear like the Bow, Stones, etc. So it's always good to give us options... :D 

Edited by kristaok

46 minutes ago, kristaok said:

These Weapon types would be REALLY good for those who are wanting to rough it, since I know some people prefer to hunt with more primitive gear like the Bow, Stones, etc. So it's always good to give us options...

I am one of those people, having not fired a single rifle round since 2017 (outside Story mode and challenges, of course). I am always happy for more primitive weapons to use, still, the same suggestions I said within the gun weapons thread should apply. These weapons need to have their own distinct traits - just like the Rifle, Revolver or Bow, they need to have their benefits and detriments.

What I meant by learning curve was that I think these weapons should be, much like stone throwing, dependent on the skill of the player, not the ingame character. Im not a big fan of throwing skill within the game which would be raised as the archery or gun handling skill... but instead, the arc and the power of the throw would be determined by some sort of quick-time event ingame, as is with the wolf struggles, for example. That way the ability to throw these weapons effectively would be harder skill to learn, and would vary greatly based on the stress of the player. Say you have a bear, charging in on you... you are nervous and mess up the throw, the tomahawk swishes through the air and hits the tree. And you receive a bear hug.

Also dont be so suprised, like I said before - noone has just good ideas, and noone has just bad ideas, either. If it seems that someone only posts very popular, good ideas, it is only because they only post the ideas that they thought through very deeply, and determined as likeable. I dont discriminate - just trying to always be objective, as best as I can be :)