Long-game clothing repair strategy

reginaphalange

I've made it to 500+ days in my favorite Pilgrim run. I have... lots of clothing in varied bases, the crappy clothes and the good. I also have crafted gear, all of it, for when I need it.

I've been wearing the crappiest of gear (sometimes mixed with one or two good pieces) while just farting around one of my bases, then for the most part letting the gear become threadbare until it's basically ineffective for temperature and then I scrap it if it's crap gear, repair it if it's good gear.

I'm wondering about strategies for things like socks and bedrolls. Socks you can't craft, but do you need them once you're just in deerskin boots? And bedrolls, we can make bearskin bedrolls but bears aren't always readily available (though I suppose it's possible to keep 1 bear skin around) and bear skin rolls degrade quickly.

I'm running on Pilgrim so animal attacks are rare (only attacked by one wolf when I pissed him off by stealing his dinner) so I won't have to worry about ruining clothing unless I take a bad stumble.

Anyway, I know cloth is almost infinite in the game, but it isn't really. So for instance if I wanted to try to live forever in the game, should I only repair socks and one or two sets of good gear until the cloth runs out? Should I let the socks go threadbare and forget about them? Save the cloth for the bedroll?

On Pilgrim, chances are you could live forever, or more likely, get bored to death and start a new game.  Its likely the latter will happen, so I wouldn't worry about saving cloth.

I'm on day 1,000+ Voyageur and still have a TON of cloth.  My philosophy, I let my clothes wear down to the point when repair will barely get them to 100% (some exceptions like Wool Ear Wrap).

I've never played any long term pilgrim games so I'm curious as to the weather change on pilgrim over time.  How severe is the cold in late game?  Personally I wouldn't worry too much about your cloth items as it seems to me the craft-able items will see you through.

If you are worried about it then set aside some of your best cloth gear in storage (minimal repairs required) for if/when the cold actually requires them.

24 minutes ago, Klobberthon said:

I'm curious as to the weather change on pilgrim over time.

You can see what the settings are for each difficulty type by pretending you are starting a new Custom game, then just toggle through the difficulties at the top to see how the settings change.

I've been giving this some thought as well, since I've done an outerloper run that has spanned 40 days so far and I'm done with the crafted clothing. Cloth is very limited given you can't go inside, so I did some tests in Interloper with beachcombing and every 15 or so days, i'll move over to Coastal Highway, then Crumbling Highway and finally Desolation Point and do a beachcombing run at each of the regions. 

I found tons of sticks, some reclaimed, at least 5 cloth, two cotton toques ( 2 more cloth ), and a maple and a birch sapling at every time I did this. I've currently done it 3 times. So basically, there's an infinite supply of cloth, waiting for you at the nearby beach. I guess if you lived in these regions constantly and did beachcomb once a week you could definetely keep stuff repaired forever and still have a surplus for bandages and bedroll repairs. 

1 hour ago, hozz1235 said:

You can see what the settings are for each difficulty type by pretending you are starting a new Custom game, then just toggle through the difficulties at the top to see how the settings change.

Yes.  Although I was fishing for something more descriptive than 'low' 'med' high'... Luckily, in this case, Pilgrim is indeed set to 'none'.  So I truly don't think cloth would ever become a real factor in Pilgrim and you could potentially play forever after cloth runs out with no problems.

The beach combing method is great advice though if you do want to keep a flow of otherwise nonrenewable resources.

1 hour ago, Klobberthon said:

The beach combing method is great advice though if you do want to keep a flow of otherwise nonrenewable resources.

Absolutely, in stalker and easier difficulty modes it also provides bullets, flare shells, broken arrows and improvised tools. It's basically a loot fest that amazon prime delivers to the nearest beach of your convenience. 

1 hour ago, hozz1235 said:

I can't see the need to beach-comb unless you're playing loper (if you're frugal in your resource usage).

Also very true, you can survive 3000+ days with the resources you're provided by the regions in loper alone if you are a bit conservative with the resources provided, plus we always get tons and tons of new resources every time a new region is added. That said, combing is very easy to do and a surprisingly rich source of non-renewables so I'll do it every time I stop by those regions, even if it's for the sake of stockpiling resources. 

Archived