Hot Springs

Willy Pete

I think it might be neat to have a region (probably mountainous like Timberwolf Mountain) with some hot springs. While in them any worn clothing would get wet very quickly, but the springs themselves would have a real feel of 100F (38C) or so, meaning they could be used as a way to escape the cold, or just relax a little.

It might be too hard to use them to acquire dirty water (I'm no coder or game designer) but that could be a neat idea as well, though I think they would have to be in a high up or otherwise hard to reach area to offput the ability to get unlimited water (though making it dirty could offset this as well).

In the long term, it could also be used to benefit any sanity added to the game, increasing it slowly.

Guest kristaok
8 hours ago, Doc Feral said:

tenor.gif

Now I'm picturing that scene from Who Framed Roger Rabbit where the bad guy melted that poor cartoon shoe to death. :,(

24 minutes ago, kristaok said:

Now I'm picturing that scene from Who Framed Roger Rabbit where the bad guy melted that poor cartoon shoe to death. :,(

But in the end he suffered the same fate, while quoting himself the Witch of the West.

Guest kristaok
2 hours ago, Doc Feral said:

But in the end he suffered the same fate, while quoting himself the Witch of the West.

That is True. 

55 minutes ago, Fuarian said:

I don't know if it fits the geography of The Long Dark. But sure!

Probably not, though to most rules in nature exists exception. Just probably would not make much sense seeing as the Great bear is coal rich island, if there are coal deposits there are likely oil deposits as well, so it doesn't really give much freedom to have some undeground hot spring reservoirs or volcanic activity. I dont think those two mix very well together.

On 4/7/2019 at 7:19 PM, Willy Pete said:

It might be too hard to use them to acquire dirty water (I'm no coder or game designer) but that could be a neat idea as well, though I think they would have to be in a high up or otherwise hard to reach area to offput the ability to get unlimited water (though making it dirty could offset this as well).

Im no geologist but I believe that would be a horribly poor idea. Hot springs often come from some sort of volcanic activity. Water within the proximity to volcanic activity is bound to have significant traces of poisonous chemicals in it, derivates of sulphur for starters. Not harmful to skin, but quite poisonous if consumed. And considering these are chemicals and not microbes, boiling would do absolutely nothing to treat the water.

I think its a neat idea, it would certainly make for a sort of journey to "lift survivors spirits" by taking a hot bath after toiling for so long, surviving. And if Sanity ever makes some entrance into the game, such bath would serve another purpose, as there is nothing more liberating then a hot bath after a lot of work in freezing conditions. 

Archived