Lantern fuel (oil) harvest question

reginaphalange

Apparently lantern oil condition does not degrade, but we still find and harvest oil in all states of decay. I've read that when you have a non-full jerry can these containers will fill up with oil harvested from fish (when you have both the large and small container in your inventory the oil goes to the small can first if not only this).

My questions:

1. how do we know what % Condition the oil harvested from fish will be?
  2. if oil harvested from a fish comes out as 50% (or whatever) but my non-full container is 22%, will the two combine or will a new container appear?

Mainly, I'm trying to reduce clutter in my Pilgrim playthrough. I have a LOT of small canisters and would like to avoid making more. Thanks!

The condition of the jerry can or lantern fuel bottle is probably the "condition" of the container not the lamp oil (fka kerosene). The inability to transfer fuel or combine less than full containers has never been addressed though it has been requested.

Whatever gets  harvested, either a lantern or cooked fish, the lamp oil will fill the available containers (that are on your person) and a new one will appear if all the existing ones are full. The condition of the new container will be relatively random.

If you want to avoid creating a bunch of lantern fuel bottles, be careful about how you use jerry cans because once they are emptied they disappear (you probably know this) and there is no way to get them back other than by finding another one. 

7 hours ago, UTC-10 said:

The condition of the jerry can or lantern fuel bottle is probably the "condition" of the container not the lamp oil (fka kerosene). The inability to transfer fuel or combine less than full containers has never been addressed though it has been requested.

Whatever gets  harvested, either a lantern or cooked fish, the lamp oil will fill the available containers (that are on your person) and a new one will appear if all the existing ones are full. The condition of the new container will be relatively random.

If you want to avoid creating a bunch of lantern fuel bottles, be careful about how you use jerry cans because once they are emptied they disappear (you probably know this) and there is no way to get them back other than by finding another one. 

Thanks @UTC-10 that solves that.

I have never had or found an empty jerry can. It disappears when emptied. I could imagine that a jerry can that had 0.0 liters of fuel, which I think can happen, would not be "empty" and would not disappear but that kind of happen chance would be not something I would want to depend on. 

Wouldn't 0.0 liters be considered empty?  It seems you are contradicting yourself:

On 4/5/2019 at 11:43 PM, UTC-10 said:

It disappears when emptied.

On 4/5/2019 at 11:43 PM, UTC-10 said:

had 0.0 liters of fuel, which I think can happen, would not be "empty" and would not disappear

I'm tempted to create a test to empty one to see if it truly disappears from existence.

I think somewhere, probably on the Steam forum, someone posted about getting dysentery when "drinking", by accident, 0.0 liters of non-potable water. 

This also crops up when people want the achievement for 100% clothing in all slots.  Mathematically, an item might be 99.75% but is shown as 100%, since clothes condition is in shown as integers,  which leaves people perplexed why they didn't get the achievement. 

Archived