Sharpening arrowhead ?

alone sniper

I think his idea has merit. As far as balancing goes, the game probably only really needs to have the lifespan of the arrow increase in order to accommodate this feature without it becoming an annoyance. As it stands, the lifespan of arrows is pretty woeful at best, especially considering that the parts that are actually consumed in its destruction are possibly some of the least likely parts to receive this type of irreparable damage throughout its short lifespan.

Hitting different surfaces could increase/decrease the amount of wear the arrowhead receives, and a damaged arrowhead could affect flightpath and penetration, especially on larger animals.

The only problem I see with this is that it becomes an extra 'wear and tear' percentage that the game needs to keep track of and also consider during encounter calculations. 

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, Balthasar250 said:

Wish we could get stone arrow heads, they may be illegal, but it's a survival game, no hunting authority would stop us in those times.

Illegal or not, if they were in the game, same as stone (or rather, flint) tools, then the forging would be made redundant. Thats why they are not in the game and never will be. 

I dont know, sounds a bit useless to waste the precious whetstones to sharpen up the arrowheads. Besides, they are not really something you would sharpen up the same way you sharpen your tools. I agree with Doc, arrowhead maintenance is probably done off-screen during the arrow fitting.

2 minutes ago, Mroz4k said:

Illegal or not, if they were in the game, same as stone (or rather, flint) tools, then the forging would be made redundant. Thats why they are not in the game and never will be. 

I dont know, sounds a bit useless to waste the precious whetstones to sharpen up the arrowheads. Besides, they are not really something you would sharpen up the same way you sharpen your tools. I agree with Doc, arrowhead maintenance is probably done off-screen during the arrow fitting.

stone arrow heads are sharp when you make them, you don't have to sharpen them. you break stones against each other to carve them and that's it. put a groove in the arrow shaft and attach with sinew. they last forever.

8 minutes ago, Balthasar250 said:

stone arrow heads are sharp when you make them, you don't have to sharpen them. you break stones against each other to carve them and that's it. put a groove in the arrow shaft and attach with sinew. they last forever.

The descriptio was not necesary. I am aware of how flint knapping works, and how such arrowheads are made. I have actually made an arrowhead like that in the past, although I used glass from the glass bottle bottom instead. Same principle. Also, they arent banned everywhere, just some countries, I think. Makes sense because Flint tools are often much sharper then even surgical instruments. Shamans in palleolite used flint scalpels to perform quite sophisticated brain trepanations and surgeries. Well, sophisticated for what would one expect from stone age cavemen.

You have missed the entire point of what I said, though. It is not a matter of whether stone arrowheads need sharpening or not, the point here was that if there were stone arrowheads in TLD, there would be no need to forge the iron ones anymore, because it would be far easier just to get the flint ones. TLD is still a game and as such should offer some challenges and provide some tasks to do. One of these tasks would be the need to eventually forge more arrowheads. But why bother if you can just fashion them anywhere from the materials you just find randomly at the ground? There would be no point to use the forge anymore.

Archived