Need to de-freeze before eating

StrayCat

I agree - ready to eat from frozen isn't realistic. I don't think cooking from frozen is too hard. It would make sense that, something thawed, stays thawed while carried. But a big game changer, connected to this I think, would be changes to the thermal dynamics of buildings, specifically, that they should warm up when you heat them and stay warm for a while. Its probably worth a separate thread but, for example, after having an 8 hour fire in the camp office stove, the air temp should be above freezing and stuff in there should thaw. The place should then stay warm for a while, keeping your soup liquid for a bit longer. How this all works is definitely another thread...

One thing I would like to add is that I don't think we should need to thaw meat to eat it...we could eat frozen meat. What it should give is a cooling down debuff and perhaps take longer to munch through it. Could even possibly reduce the number of calories you get from it since your body would use more to keep warm but honestly I would rather see that added as a general mechanic, not something just for food.

On ‎4‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 8:57 PM, kristaok said:

Yea but that's probably because corpses get REALLY smelly :/ ... not saying dogs don't have good sniffers, their noses are better than ours, I just mean that - that's understandable that they could smell a corpse buried under 30ft of snow due to the decomposition etc. 

For some breeds it goes way beyond decomposition. A few yrs ago I watched a documentary about bloodhounds. As an experiment, they took a child (alive and well), put him in the trunk of a car, and drove down the freeway to a certain exit, which they took to leave the freeway. The handler then engaged the hound, took him in a vehicle and stopped at every exit. If the hound picked up the scent along the freeway after the exit, they moved to the next one. THEY EVENTUALLY FOUND THE CORRECT EXIT that the first car had taken with the child in the relatively sealed trunk. The tracking ability of certain breeds, particularly hounds, is almost incomprehensible. And that is with skills, in some ways honed by breeding but in other ways greatly dulled by centuries of domestication.

A few years ago in mid winter I walked out of my house on my farm here in Alberta right out face to face with a coyote standing on my deck. I suspected it was attracted to the smells emanated by using but not cleaning my BBQ the previous summer. I agree with many posters here; leaving meat on your step is not effective storage IRL. If nothing else the crows would be all over it.

At least if you could find some kind of in-game portable coolers around to place on your porch for storage would be more realistic. What, there's no Walmart on Great Bear? There's a WM everywhere else around here!  

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/14/2019 at 12:57 PM, kristaok said:

Yea but that's probably because corpses get REALLY smelly :/ ... not saying dogs don't have good sniffers, their noses are better than ours, I just mean that - that's understandable that they could smell a corpse buried under 30ft of snow due to the decomposition etc. 

I think you miss my point, a corpse under 30 feet of soil, in comparison to a potential meal laying outside someones door unburied...