Need to de-freeze before eating

StrayCat

Hello all,

Something that usually bother me is when I stockpile meat outside, I just need to grab a steak and eat it right away. Or sometimes I find a can of tomato soup in a bag outside, and I can also eat it right away.

Hey, these things should be 100% frozen and hard as a rock ! I know the "frozen ou wet state" is already included in many items but not used (like the firewood). Is it possible to add it to food ? It makes no sense to eat a icy steak or a tomato-soup-popsicle ! or at least we should get a cold / broken teeth penalty ! Having to re-warm it would make for a cool roleplay moment, lighting a fire to re-heat your meal. Or just put it somewhere warm, and wait a few hours for it to de-freeze.

What do you think ?

• Upvote 7

Guest kristaok

Pretty good idea, I mean we do already have the warming up the food option, so why not have the option to thaw out some frozen food?

8 hours ago, reginaphalange said:

Would make for a lot of extra code

That's not sure. The "frozen/unfrozen" status and mecanism are already integrated (clothes, firewood, carcass...). The only code needed would be to check if the food you want to eat still have the "frozen" status. But some tweaks may be needed for the interaction between the frozen/unfrozen and cold/hot status some food have.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tsayers1068 said:

For that matter, wouldn't meat that was left outside for any length of time, especially overnight  just be eaten by wolves?

Yeah, I also often think the system is a little 'gamed' when meat outside is left totally ignored by carnivores. I often wish that it would attract an unusual amount of interest in the area, whilst also having the chance for it (or some of it at least) to go missing

• Like 1

Wolves already suicide at your doorstep constantly. Adding a way to bait them in will just give you even more wolf meat. Mountains of wolf meat, you could make a meat fortress. How well can wolves smell frozen meat BTW? I really don't know.

3 hours ago, odizzido said:

Wolves already suicide at your doorstep constantly. Adding a way to bait them in will just give you even more wolf meat. Mountains of wolf meat, you could make a meat fortress. How well can wolves smell frozen meat BTW? I really don't know.

Exactly how do they suicide at your doorstep?  I smell an exploit...

58 minutes ago, Tsayers1068 said:

Exactly how do they suicide at your doorstep?  I smell an exploit...

It just means they come near houses and this allows safe sniping from inaccessible porches and stairs, not to mention ducking indoors if they're too near for comfort.

I support this.

I prepared tea. Its hot and it can warm me.

I prepare potable water or steak. Its not hot right from fire place and no warm bonus either.

Carcass can froze to stone easily outdoor. Piece of meal, water or any water based food cant.

Where is your god now?

Guest kristaok
On 4/3/2019 at 7:26 AM, Doc Feral said:

On the other hand, carrying some rock-hard frozen meat shouldn't give you scent penalty. And eating a hot steak may actually warm you up.

Wonder if that can be done, make 3 versions? frozen, thawed, and then cooked. Like you said frozen wouldn't have a scent, thawed has more maybe?, and cooked has some. Because wouldn't the thawed version have more of a scent than being cooked? idk... I am no expert on meats lol. But I agree there could be a warming up buff added too. 

Anything can be done if the publisher is willing to expend the time and resources.

(IMO)  it is probably not worth the effort because of the ramifications of a presumed No Scent aspect for frozen meat. It is doubtful that would be allowed by Hinterland. If meat could be frozen and have to be thawed before it is cooked, but the meat, frozen or thawed, was still as detectable by wolves would the extra effort to thaw meat be beneficial to the game, when considering story mode, or just another drudgery/time consuming step now imposed on everyone? One is a game-play consideration versus a realism consideration. 

I highly doubt the contents of a tomato soup in a can would get frozen even if they were sitting in a backpack outside, it would likely be very tough to eat but I don't think it would turn into ice, due to the difficulty of temperature, breaking through hermetically sealed can. And, if it did, the ice would expand and break the seal of the can, so you would find the tomato soup can already opened, and by then most likely not safe to eat.

There are so many more implications to this. For instance - if you put a frozen piece of steak into your backpack, does it stay frozen or will it thaw? Does freezing your meat make it less smellier? So many more implications to consider.

Its also why this would not be a very easy-to-do implementation, even if the wetness factor is already in the game.

I don't think this is all that necessary. TLD is not really a fully realistic survival simulator. That said, I would not oppose this suggestion either. I just don't think its necessary for the game, and not worth the development time that would have to be spent on this. 

1 hour ago, UTC-10 said:

IMO)  it is probably not worth the effort because of the ramifications of a presumed No Scent aspect for frozen meat. It is doubtful that would be allowed by Hinterland. If meat could be frozen and have to be thawed before it is cooked, but the meat, frozen or thawed, was still as detectable by wolves would the extra effort to thaw meat be beneficial to the game, when considering story mode, or just another drudgery/time consuming step now imposed on everyone? One is a game-play consideration versus a realism consideration. 

Your implication falls out of logic because you assume that frozen meat has no smell. Which is true if you are a human, but try smelling a piece of meat from your freezer closely - even if its frozen solid, it still emits smell. Now predators have much more keep sense of smell then us humans. Heard somewhere in documentary that bears can smell frozen meat up to three kilometers. So, while freezing the meat would decrease its smell, it would certainly not remove it entirely. 

1 hour ago, UTC-10 said:

Anything can be done if the publisher is willing to expend the time and resources.

Well, not really. Can't bring what is dead back to life, that applies to things like games too. Luckily that is not the case with TLD.
The point here, however, is most likely "is it worth to expend the extra time and resources on this?" Business wise, you are always working with limited time and resources. The whole idea of company sciences is built on the attempt to maximalize the value and minimalize the time and resources spent on it. So, it would be unwise to spend it on something that will not bring appropriate value back (not saying this suggestion is such a case) - this is why all ideas that suggest a change to a specific gamemode (for example Interloper specific function) are instantly not worth it, because it would require resources to be developed, and only a fraction of the players would benefit from it.

1 hour ago, Mroz4k said:

TLD is not really a fully realistic survival simulator.

This I 100% agree. Even the gameplay changes would be small, there is nothing groundbreaking here. But my point was all about the immersion : when I go backpacking irl, one of my favorite moments is sitting and setting up a small fire to cook/re-heat my food. In winter, when there's snow and everything is frozen, not chewing on a frozen piece of meat is very welcomed !

I read (not often, but on a regular basis) in this wish list, that some people want to be able to sit on a chair, and read a book in front of a fire. Or other immersive / rolepay requests. My suggestion follows the same lines.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, StrayCat said:

This I 100% agree. Even the gameplay changes would be small, there is nothing groundbreaking here. But my point was all about the immersion : when I go backpacking irl, one of my favorite moments is sitting and setting up a small fire to cook/re-heat my food. In winter, when there's snow and everything is frozen, not chewing on a frozen piece of meat is very welcomed !

I read (not often, but on a regular basis) in this wish list, that some people want to be able to sit on a chair, and read a book in front of a fire. Or other immersive / rolepay requests. My suggestion follows the same lines.

I see the potential here mostly if it was paired with something more. The whole wetness mechanic is missing a key element to it that would make it more interesting, albeit a lot more complex. And that would be some sort of sanity mechanics. We actually discussed this together, I think, in the past - the idea behind how certain actions and failing in certain actions would affect the mood of the character. If there was a benefit to reheating the food to give yourself a boost to mood, I'd be all for it.

In the meantime, nothing is stopping you from whipping up a small fire to heat up your piece of steak, even if that option is not in the game. There is a roleplaying possibility to TLD, even if the game does not require it. For same reasons, Id go out for seemingly pointless walks in sandbox on the days when I had no tasks to fullfill.

Guest kristaok

@StrayCat That's a good point / idea you brought up about sitting in chairs, it's the little things like that, that mean so much. 

Now that I think about it; on Interloper having to thaw out some meat would be a death sentence. :/ 

Guest kristaok
31 minutes ago, UTC-10 said:

I see, I saw kristaok mention reduced scent and jumped to the conclusion that somewhere farther up the thread someone had suggested no scent but nobody did. My bad. 

Me and Doc both mentioned there should be a reduction in scent, because frozen meats have low scent compared to thawed meats.

Guest kristaok
3 hours ago, Nyarlathotep said:

A cadaver dog can smell a corpse that is buried 30 feet underground. To say they have a 'keen sense of smell' is the understatement of the century.

Yea but that's probably because corpses get REALLY smelly :/ ... not saying dogs don't have good sniffers, their noses are better than ours, I just mean that - that's understandable that they could smell a corpse buried under 30ft of snow due to the decomposition etc. 

This is how I imagine the frozen state of food mechanic: Technically you can thaw-cook foods like tomato soup in real life. So you know how the boiling of the snow works where it takes 13 minutes to melt the snow into water first, then another 13 minutes to boil the snow water into potable water. Well with frozen tomato soup, I imagine it working the same way. So it's time "melting tomato soup", then time "cooking tomato soup". 

I like the idea of having to thaw meat. Like frozen being no scent but inedible, thawed meat has scent and is edible, hot meat also has scent but gives a warmth buff when eaten.

Ha whats funny is that this is how I like a lot of my meat in real life - cooked, refrigerated, then thawed usually at room temperature. I don't know why, I think it is because of how it marinates in the fridge over night. TLD can give me an appetite sometimes 🤤

Edited by XAlaskan_420X