reginaphalange

Pilgrim mode is getting ridiculous

Recommended Posts

Are you a nomad or a squatter? 

I'm a squatter. A collector.

Come the advent of future civilizations, I could be the museum curator. Ancient oddities from The Before.

And lots of boots.

20190327170735_1.thumb.jpg.9f144a66dd0d29f80ce5b1818dbbefb7.jpg

 

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I had a Pilgrim game and after about 260 days, and looting every region, here's a count of what I came up with.

Loot.thumb.png.b4a03269b89ed999e0785490b1f2b1d4.png

I had already fired 32 rounds with the rifle and the count for other stuff that is used regularly does not represent the total count of what was found or made. I just made a count of that stuff to see how much I had at that time, mainly for redistribution around the island to have stuff available everywhere I go to lighten the load as I travel.

This screenshot is just the 2 first columns in a spreadsheet. There is more columns to the right showing in what region that stuff is.

I also did not count food and clothes - obviously. B|

Edited by Hawk
  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thinking the Pilgram mode should be renamed to Hoarder.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hm, yeah it might be ridiculous. But I guess it's meant to be this way. It clears your thoughts a bit of a lot of different questions. Especially when you have just started. You can go on learn the maps, the game machanics and get used to the weather and what it does. Each person has a different approach, but for me pilgrim was the best mode to start with, for sure. In the mean time I've tried Interloper until I finally got the 24 hrs achivement and I have to tell you that it's highly possible that I would have quit this tremendous game if it had only this Interloper difficulty level... 🙂

Once you are an experienced veteran, pilgrim must be ridiculous to you, that's true. But that's why there are 3 other modes and the custom settings to play with. ^_^

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/28/2019 at 3:44 PM, Hawk said:

I had a Pilgrim game and after about 260 days, and looting every region, here's a count of what I came up with.

Loot.thumb.png.b4a03269b89ed999e0785490b1f2b1d4.png

I had already fired 32 rounds with the rifle and the count for other stuff that is used regularly does not represent the total count of what was found or made. I just made a count of that stuff to see how much I had at that time, mainly for redistribution around the island to have stuff available everywhere I go to lighten the load as I travel.

This screenshot is just the 2 first columns in a spreadsheet. There is more columns to the right showing in what region that stuff is.

I also did not count food and clothes - obviously. B|

Nice work. I think that Pilgrim is the most realistic of all the modes, because wild animals don't usually attack people (except for bears) and when I take a look at your list I think that it's absolutely possible to find this amount of every item on such a huge island that was once inhabited.

So with this said, no, I don't think that Pilgrim is ridiculous. I think that having every wild animal attack you on sight is ridiculous, but it is what makes the game interesting and more challenging. Every mode has it's charm and it's worth playing.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't help but to think Pilgrim mode is the most realistic / best. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/29/2019 at 3:18 PM, Mystix said:

because wild animals don't usually attack people (except for bears)

Bears attacking humans is relatively rare.  No cubs in the game so don't need to worry about any Momma Bears protecting their young.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I mainly play Pilgrim to avoid having a heart attach from predator attacks, but the point that the island WOULD have a lot of left behind items is an excellent one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, reginaphalange said:

play Pilgrim to avoid having a heart attach from predator attacks

This might be true but for myself when I play interloper than switch to Pilgrim to goat around without consequence the fear factor is still in play.  During these goating trips surprise I would be when encountering a bear.  Both of us are startled to see each other.  The bear runs away and I recover remembering that this is Pilgrim mode.   Still makes me jump.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Ice Hole said:

This might be true but for myself when I play interloper than switch to Pilgrim to goat around without consequence the fear factor is still in play.  During these goating trips surprise I would be when encountering a bear.  Both of us are startled to see each other.  The bear runs away and I recover remembering that this is Pilgrim mode.   Still makes me jump.

same

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I for one was happy when custom game mode was introduced.  I could have all the ailments and other challenges of voyager and stalker game play with the animal behavior of pilgrim mode, which makes the game play that much more "realistic" and plausible imho.  When you are caught out in a blizzard, unable to find your way, you die just as dead in pilgrim mode as in any other difficulty setting.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/31/2019 at 4:43 PM, kristaok said:

I can't help but to think Pilgrim mode is the most realistic / best. 

I like Pilgrim the most too. I'm challenged enough by the elements and boredom without having to stab wolves all the time. I also imagine that in real life, there would be way more extra stuff lying around that the game doesn't account for. So even with high amounts of loot in Pilgrim, it doesn't feel like too much. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, devamadhu said:

I like Pilgrim the most too. I'm challenged enough by the elements and boredom without having to stab wolves all the time. I also imagine that in real life, there would be way more extra stuff lying around that the game doesn't account for. So even with high amounts of loot in Pilgrim, it doesn't feel like too much. 

Definitely more relaxing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems to me like Pilgrim is just fine as is.
If one wants more difficulty/challenge, there are three other modes and several custom options to choose from.  Make/find the experience you want.  :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use mostly custom mode. Surviving 78 days now.

What I did is: Make it like Pilgrim but with wildlife attacks. In other words, high quantity of loot and any other good stuff that we would get as normally in Pilgrim mode but with wildlife hunting you down as normally as voyageur. It's more fun that way.

Thank God for Hinterland implementing custom mode.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I know others have said as much... but for me, I kind of feel like Pilgrim is arguably the most realistic.  I say this for a couple of reasons.  Most animals tend to avoid humans when ever possible, and the other is what happens when there is a hasty abandonment.

As I suppose a lot of the folks here know, animals smell, see, or hear you coming; most often they are gone before you ever even knew they were there.  It's only when you accidently cross paths that you might actually have an encounter.  To illustrate, my grandmother would always take really long walks in bear country, and all she would take with her was a walking stick with a couple of sleigh bells tied to the top.  She mentioned seeing a black bear now and then but always at a distance and they were always making their way in the other direction.  Wolves, the same thing, they are mostly pretty shy about humans.  Grandma always said you always need to be alert... but unless you startle one, or you happen upon them eating, or cub/pups are involved you really don't have much of a problem.  Now to be clear... I'm not saying bad things don't sometimes  happen in the wilderness, because yes of course they do... I'm just saying it's rare.

The second reason I would say Pilgrim is arguably more realistic is the rush of abandonment.  The lore is pretty clear that the geomagnetic event that took down Will and Astrid's plane was the first... and while the population had been in decline for years, there were still people around.  However, when the lights went out... the majority who were still around all left in a hurry.  Any mass exodus comes with a lot of stuff just left behind for the sake of being able to move quickly.

And yes, I know the Aurora also made the predators go nuts... I'm just talking about the mode in The Long Dark that feels most like taking a walk in the woods in the dead of winter.  That's all.

Anyways I'm sure I'm not saying anything new, but I didn't see much in this thread (apart from how much loot is laying around)... so I thought I would add another two cents.  :D

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/5/2019 at 7:12 PM, ManicManiac said:

I know others have said as much... but for me, I kind of feel like Pilgrim is arguably the most realistic.  I say this for a couple of reasons.  Most animals tend to avoid humans when ever possible, and the other is what happens when there is a hasty abandonment.

I've played a custom mode which is like pilgrim in that animal aggression is turned off, but with less loot, crappier weather, etc. The other thing I did was to set animal detection, blood smell, etc to as far as possible, to make the animals very skittish. I call it "Hunter" mode. The challenge isn't in beating the wildlife trying to kill you, it's being able to hunt effectively at low skill levels when all the wildlife is hyper aware of you. I'm thinking with the new weapon mechanics I might pull it out again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, stratvox said:

I've played a custom mode which is like pilgrim in that animal aggression is turned off, but with less loot, crappier weather, etc. The other thing I did was to set animal detection, blood smell, etc to as far as possible, to make the animals very skittish. I call it "Hunter" mode. The challenge isn't in beating the wildlife trying to kill you, it's being able to hunt effectively at low skill levels when all the wildlife is hyper aware of you. I'm thinking with the new weapon mechanics I might pull it out again.

That sounds like fun.  Would you be willing to share your custom settings code?  Other's might like to give your custom experience a shot :) 

Edited by ManicManiac

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll have to recreate it. I have no idea what the code is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now