Weapons suggestion with a side of immersion.

AlexanderVII

One of the reasons i love this game is the realism, I'm not saying how its so true to life that you need to empty your bladder every 20mins or so but, have you ever played a point and click adventure or escape room an been told you cant use that crowbar on the old wooden door to unlock it you need to jump though hoops to find the key. Well this game gleefully says to hell with that pry the mother open with a prybar however... theres one little thing that doesnt jive well and thats... knifes and hatchets cannot be throw at animals. Now i know that when being attacked theres a use there but what im saying is why throw a stone to stun that little bunny wunny, when you can throw an axe at it and the jobs done. I realise balance is a issue with everything which is why i got you coved there, when throwing a knife or prybar or what have you make so it damages it reducing the usage. And so you don't swap a million weapons have it so you have to equip in the backpack what weapons beforehand. 

TLDR.

Knife throw rabbit dead?

Miss rabbit break knife done.

P.s excuse bad grammar and spelling.

I don't know why I would ever throw a knife, hatchet, or prybar at a rabbit when I can throw rocks at it instead... and not risk damaging my precious gear.   If I don't want to break their little necks, I can use my bow and arrows to kill them outright.  If I throw a knife at a wolf or deer, I'm probably just asking for them to run off with it... like they sometimes do with my arrows as it is.  If they add a throwing weapons option, they will probably be inundated with requests to add more knives into the loot tables and into interloper... which would make the game easier... and probably too easy for dedicated Lopers.

Guest kristaok

I could definitely see myself throwing a knife, I love throwing knives! So yea this is a good idea! As for a hatchet that would be neat too, but I could settle with just throwing the knives. 

Ps. I wouldn’t have the knives or hatchet break on a miss though since that’s not realistic, I’d just have them lose a little bit of durability each throw. 

On 3/18/2019 at 4:08 PM, kristaok said:

I could definitely see myself throwing a knife, I love throwing knives!

English can be confusing. Do you like to throw knives, or do you like knives which are meant to be thrown? Really curious about people's hobbies.

Linguistic issues aside, as I've said before, I've seen people with some training throwing knives and hatchets at celtic festivals, and the results were quite unimpressive. The weapons most of the times bounced off because they impacted with the wrong angle, on a still target not more than five meters away. I still doubt throwing knives ever killed anyone in recorded history.

Maybe throwing the prybar would be more practical than a bladed weapon. Its leverage and weight would allow more speed and distance than a stone and with no care about the angle since it's solid metal, not to mention virtually indestructible.

By the way, I don't think arrows (and other potentially flying things) should suffer damage for hitting rabbits and snow covered ground. Larger animals who can thrash around and crush them, and hitting stones and trees, rightfully does.

Hello!

2 hours ago, Doc Feral said:

I've seen people with some training throwing knives and hatchets at celtic festivals, and the results were quite unimpressive. The weapons most of the times bounced off because they impacted with the wrong angle, on a still target not more than five meters away. I still doubt throwing knives ever killed anyone in recorded history.

I think its a bit of a mistake to base that assumption on personal experience. And while throwing knives surely do not have the distance of more then those five meters, if used by someone skilled, Im sure they can be pretty lethal at that distance.

That being said, there is something to consider here. If the throwing of knives was implemented, it would have to be a skill like archery. But more importantly, it would require an addition of new type of weapon - a throwing knife. Meaning - the hunting knives that can be found in the game right now are unthrowable. Those knives are utilitarian, hefty and most likely have the balancing off-center. They are not meant to be thrown and throwing them would likely result in a failed attempt.

Throwing knives need to be balanced properly so they spin properly when thrown, and while I have seen some smithed versions of the throwing knives, its unlikely the character would have much of a chance smithing one with such limited smithing options. One could say the knives could be only found, but adding a skill just cause one type of weapon which has pretty limited uses in the game and can only be found, not crafted, does not seem like a very wise idea considering all the work that would go into it (notably the game physics, animations, tuning etc.). So, personally, dont think it would be a wise choice.

I think its best to stick to throwing stones :) although if one was skilled enough, hunting rabbits with the throwing knives could make the whole hunt easier, since the bunny would be killed without a need to jump on it and snap its neck. But again, you would need actual throwing knives or hatchets for that.And still yet, it would be kind of an overkill, and not very survivalist-like. Throwing these tools at small targets would result in a miss, often. And anyone who ever worked with tools at some point or another should know that tools are only as good as well you keep them maintained. Throwing them and having them hit the ground is awful way to treat your tools - they would get broken very, very fast.

2 hours ago, Mroz4k said:

Hello!

I think its a bit of a mistake to base that assumption on personal experience. And while throwing knives surely do not have the distance of more then those five meters, if used by someone skilled, Im sure they can be pretty lethal at that distance.

I'm decently skilled with hand held blades, and that's why I doubt about it. About the practical use of throwing knives, that distance is under the famous "21 feet threshold", so why bother throwing when you can dash and stab? Besides, killing with a knife requires more than rolling a d20. And that's the point when I become verbose.

Internal organs are, well, internal. Force and angle are required, and most of the best strikes are diagonally upwards under the rib cage, or deep stabs to the kidneys, or the two "stopping strikes" (sorry, lost in translation, should I say instakill?) to the heart between ribs (which is impossible with a vertically spinning throwing knife, at least on humans) or to the brain throught the eye (again, the correct angle and trajectory is required, and a narrow blade). Killing with a thrown knife would probably require a lucky hit to the windpipe or carotid, but it would be a really lucky one. Other major artherias are even more difficult to reach, such as femural, axillary or subclavian.

This is becoming quite gruesome.

On the other hand a thrown hatchet's movement is similar to a hand swing, so it's just about the extremely difficult judging of distance.

Guest kristaok
8 hours ago, Doc Feral said:

English can be confusing. Do you like to throw knives, or do you like knives which are meant to be thrown? Really curious about people's hobbies.

Linguistic issues aside, as I've said before, I've seen people with some training throwing knives and hatchets at celtic festivals, and the results were quite unimpressive. The weapons most of the times bounced off because they impacted with the wrong angle, on a still target not more than five meters away. I still doubt throwing knives ever killed anyone in recorded history.

Maybe throwing the prybar would be more practical than a bladed weapon. Its leverage and weight would allow more speed and distance than a stone and with no care about the angle since it's solid metal, not to mention virtually indestructible.

By the way, I don't think arrows (and other potentially flying things) should suffer damage for hitting rabbits and snow covered ground. Larger animals who can thrash around and crush them, and hitting stones and trees, rightfully does.

Yea sorry, I meant I love knives that are meant for throwing, I plan to get in to it. My husbands brother would throw knives, I haven't watched him but I heard he was good at it. 

I don't know why I just have a fascination with it, I just moved to another place so I plan to start trying this sometime. I had a western fighting game I would play called "Smokin' Guns" and I would always prefer to use the throwing knives to kill the bad guys with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BG4jO-l8tGU at 6:53 he starts throwing and he seem to have made the target pretty well, so if someone could be good at this they could possibly hunt small game or at least defend themselves from enemies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtN_772bV-o also Rambo can do it, and he's a BEAST... :P

Archived