Go to Coastal Highway they say, it'll be great they say

Kilkegard

Guest kristaok
4 hours ago, Doc Feral said:

That's un-bear-able.

Welp I guess they best be getting ready for their bearial.... heh heh heh. 

Coastal Highway provides a mix of challenges, as well as many benefits. It has (in my opinion) the best base location, you got fish, deer, rabbits nearby, and even an occasional moose. They balance out all of these benefits by making large packs of wolves travel around the ocean, and often right next to your base, as well as multiple bears, like the one that occasionally will travel directly outside the Garage.  I believe that it's a good learning experience!

Guest kristaok
2 hours ago, hozz1235 said:

Just Grin and Bear it.

Bear in mind I bet it was a beary frightening experience for them. 

Guest kristaok

Well I hate to be the bearer of bad news... but the odds of surviving a bear attack are beary slim. Unless of course you're bearing arms and you can go bearzerk on the bear before it mauls you to death. Just always make sure you have your bearings straight before you head out into The Long Dark. Because it's extremely rare to take out any bear with your bear hands, and never ever go bear footed you'll definitely get frost bit out there.

Well, my tail took a bad turn.  The bear eventually attacked me.  I was chopping a cedar branch maybe half way between the fishing village and the tooth rock thing-y.  Just at the end of chopping I could see the shadow of the bear pass.  When I came out of chopping mode he passed me and was a short distance down the road.  I figured I should move sooner rather than later and that little bit seemed to trigger him.  Or maybe I just got unlucky because he managed to turn and spot me... I don't know.  Anyhow when I heard him grunt and roar I new I was in trouble.  I panicked and ran but he caught me.  Lots of clothing damage and knocked down to 20 percent condition.  After I heal up a bit I'm gonna take the few odds and ends from the fishing village and stay clear for the foreseeable future.  I'm primarily living in one of the ice fishing huts on the ice at this point.  I'll fight a wolf if I have to, but bears...  no thanks.  

On 3/26/2019 at 11:59 AM, MrBlack said:

Next time, consider to crouch before cutting wood, so when you finish you're still going to be crouched, therefore relatively unnoticed. Make sure to drop any smelly meat before chopping. 

This tip was a life saver. I just trying the Whiteout Challenge again and beat it last night. One of the last things I had to do was collect the hard/softwood and being able to crouch and go unnoticed helped so i didn't have to start a fire to protect myself. I can't believe I did think of this before. 

-----

Also a fun CH experience I had doing the challenge. Just came back to the Garage from looting the island houses and fishing huts. I come up over the hill onto the road in front of the garage and hear barking so I dash into the car on the road in front of the garage. Safe inside I look around and spot the wolf, then another... then another all hanging out by the car. I decided maybe this is best time to repair some cloths; pass several hours. The wolves have moved off so I make a break for the front door and hear and angry Moose... he is right the side of the building. I backup and dart into a nearby house spend the night and get into the garage in the morning. 

Never a dull time in CH!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived