Random generated maps

Capi

First of all, I don't wanna have any whining and bashing in this thread. Then I delete it at once!
Now and then I have missed being able to start a new survival mode and get a new random map. I have played TLD for so long that I can almost run around on the map without getting lost. Tbh it's a bit boring. So every time I see you at Hinterland release a new map it's little bit of Christmas Eve for me, when I finally get something new to explore.
With this, I wonder how much work it is to make random maps?
Is there anything you considered doing in the future?

Regards, Capi

For this question, I'm going to refer to @Raphael van Lierop 's answer in the Milton Mailbag #4:

On 2018-07-13 at 1:23 PM, Raphael van Lierop said:

We'd have to re-build our entire pipeline from scratch to accommodate procedurally generated content, so I don't see that happening for this iteration of The Long Dark. Also, a big point of differentiation for our game, I feel, is the hand-crafted feeling of the environments and the fact that you can actually build up knowledge about the world layout over time, which helps you be a better Survivor. Learning to recognize the various landmarks, and becoming familiar with a space you've spent a lot of time in, so that you occasionally get these memories of "coming home" somewhere that's been a good shelter for you, or avoiding a location where you might have had bad experiences in a previous game, etc. I think this approach lets players create a sense of connection to the game space that you just can't inspire in a procedurally-generated world. 

So, I'm going to say that this isn't really a goal we're pursuing for The Long Dark. It doesn't really line up with our general philosophy about the game and the world we're creating. 

Archived