Learning in Wintermute

palbi

Hi Community,

could someone explain me, how the learning of survival school is working in Wintermute? I can't sharpen my metal-shard "knife", I can't read the books, and I have harvested rosehip and other healing kinds, prepared the too, but they don't seem to be done in the "Side Missions" tab. (The Reishi is not with me at this screenshot.)

rosehip.jpg

the basics.jpg

You learn by interacting with objects, reading skill books and completing missions. Talking to Grey Mother and Jeremiah maybe teaches something too or triggers missions, but not like in the previous version. Rabbit gloves and fishing tackle come from books, wolf coat and deer boots and/or pants come from missions.

What does "can't read the books" mean? Bug?

2 hours ago, Doc Feral said:

You learn by interacting with objects, reading skill books and completing missions. Talking to Grey Mother and Jeremiah maybe teaches something too or triggers missions, but not like in the previous version. Rabbit gloves and fishing tackle come from books, wolf coat and deer boots and/or pants come from missions.

What does "can't read the books" mean? Bug?

1. E.g. I'm interacting with the metal shard improvised knife, but the only option there is "drop". No button with "sharpen".

2. See the screenshots (the second shows what happens, when I click on the button  "Examine"):

field_dressing_1.jpg

field_dressing_2.jpg

1: I don't remember when you learn how to sharpen, but I'm not even sure that thing can be sharpened, maybe that's the issue. It surely can't be harvested.

2: that's weird, maybe the book is triggered after doing something else, have you fully harvested at least a rabbit and a deer carcass? Have you found the trap? Talked to Greymom? Now that I think about it, her subquests probably give you some skills, not only good gear. Or it may be a bug. I'm running out of ideas.

13 minutes ago, Doc Feral said:

1: I don't remember when you learn how to sharpen, but I'm not even sure that thing can be sharpened, maybe that's the issue. It surely can't be harvested.

2: that's weird, maybe the book is triggered after doing something else, have you fully harvested at least a rabbit and a deer carcass? Have you found the trap? Talked to Greymom? Or it may be a bug. I'm running out of ideas.

1. OK, problem solved, it can't be sharpen. I found an axe and this I can sharpen.

2. From the first moment the books looked like this, no matter to whom I spoke or what I did. I Snared a rabbit, harvested it, cooked it. I already fixed many of my clothing. I caught many fishes too. But I can't "read" the books (or from another angle of view, I don't have to spend time with them...) and the checkpoint is still stating I have to work through the survival lessons. It really may be a bug. Well, if this is the biggest one... B|

1 minute ago, U47 said:

Books are not read like in survival mode and that metal shard probably can't be sharpened. So skip the story mode until it is finished and come over to the survival side.

Thanks U47, I have have a 419 days Interloper.  I just wanted to start over the story mode too. I gave up the very first "edition" at the bear hunting, but I'm excited about the story.

Just now, Doc Feral said:

I don't remember where is that book, Milton or Mystery Lake? And by the way, which skill are you missing?

I'm not explicitly missing skills, I just don't know where am I with the skills. It seems, the skill system of the Survival doesn't exist here. I just startled when I saw I can't sharp a improvised knife and I can't figure out how to learn skills. But things starting to get allright: the Story mode is not equal with the Survival mode.

In Wintermute you learn the three natural meds, mending clothes and sharpening blades, how to build a snow shelter, make torches, fish and make fishing gear, forge improvised hatchet and knife (and spear), and craft rabbit gloves & hat, wolf coat and deer pants & boots. Sorry for the spoiler.

54 minutes ago, Doc Feral said:

In Wintermute you learn the three natural meds, mending clothes and sharpening blades, how to build a snow shelter, make torches, fish and make fishing gear, forge improvised hatchet and knife (and spear), and craft rabbit gloves & hat, wolf coat and deer pants & boots. Sorry for the spoiler.

Thanks! :)

Ahha, the picture starts to build up! So, it counts also, where I do certain actions. Now I'm in Forlorn Muskeg, just found the Gun!Guns!Guns! book, and I got the side mossion to hunt down wolves in FM, in ML and in BR regions, one in each. It must be the same with other skills too, just not well documented (yet).

Your screenshot of the book shows on your Journal tab - in survival mode, they are actually an inventory item (hence the reason you can't use it).

I'm guessing that by the time HL is done with episode 5, all content will be unlocked (as it is in Survival).

• 1 month later...

It actually works perfectly well, just not like with the sandbox.

When you find the survival kind of "skill book" in Wintermute, your side quests will be updated with a task that you have to do. Once you finish this task, you will learn something - usually it is how to craft a clothing item out of the animal you just killed. This is how the game slowly teaches you the aspects of the survival.

Archived