Ski Goggles and Snow-Blindness

Willy Pete

So I was walking about in the middle of a blizzard as some folks are wont to do and as all the snow particles flew at my face, I wondered: why doesn't this blind me? IRL it doesn't take all that much to cause snow-blindness, and there's an easy fix to counter it: Ski Goggles.

I think it could add some challenge and neatness if while walking into the wind with snow coming down your vision goes all blurry and it gets harder to see. I don't imagine this would be that hard to do as walking into the wind already slows you down, all you'd have to do is add the effect when being slowed by wind and getting wet by snow and ta-da!

Ski goggles would be a semi-rare item like woolen earmuffs and go in the same slot (we've only got two items for these, it'd be neat to have a few more). Ski goggles themselves would provide no warmth, maybe a fraction of a degree of wind resistance, be quite waterproof, and maybe add 1% to armor. They could have the added bonus of increasing your speed while going into the wind.

As to repairs...they probably wouldn't be repairable. I can't think of any items in the game that could be used to repair them and it would add some fun (meaning challenge, hardship, and strife) in the fact that you have to choose when to wear them and when not to. If you forget to take them off before a bear attack, you might have them ruined for good!

• 2 weeks later...

I like this.

ETA: it would be insanely cool to have them as a filter over the game that starts to show scratches and flaws due to impacts on the plastic as they degrade. A craftable natural alternative might be the slitted birch bark eye covers the Innu use for the same reason. Birchbark, gut, worktable, w/ knife, q&s tools, etc. They'd have to be very fragile to balance them out... and you'd expect them to be fragile anyway. Key point is that they'd interfere with vision, and as they degrade they interfere with vision more.

Archived