Quartering and butchering

Doc Feral

Since the "moose hunting" topic was going off the tracks I thought it would be interesting to analize the differences in time between quartering and harvesting. I wento out with hatchet, knife and hacksaw and downed a deer. I didn't take the improvised hatchet and I don't have an improvised knife, but let's just say they're slower than the professional versions.

screen_0c87bf9e-3b31-4ad8-919d-2afaafc44c0d_hi.thumb.png.2343efd01f41ffbf1cfa1f3ad3fa0a31.pngscreen_5dc7ff65-cd50-46ba-ac53-3faf6d87f568_hi.thumb.png.545216dda645c051bf53febc4792af58.pngscreen_1681237f-2622-46a1-8ccc-2a754359521f_hi.thumb.png.1b1249f6ca6e34cb577edd61dbbb38d5.pngscreen_da63b35d-7ac4-4d7b-850e-b8a3e8e08030_hi.thumb.png.0d69290fdcdcf64b6df7197a95154131.pngscreen_a9e94ab8-db89-417e-ba42-3d00b4de8b79_hi.thumb.png.c570516a9127e208d96511f7dc301975.png

As we all agree about, the hunting knife is your best friend. The hatchet is slower, the hacksaw even worse, bare hands are terrible. I'm level 5 in harvesting. Quartering a deer has a fixed time of an hour, knife, hatchet or hacksaw. The cost in calories varies according to time, not tools or activity.

Now I'll look for something heavier, bears are easier to find than moose. Wish me good luck.

Edited by Doc Feral
  • Upvote 2

Went out just the other day and quartered a deer.  Tried with the hacksaw and was not allowed.  Seemed odd and going to report it as a bug.  Option was there and makes perfect sense to use a saw to quarter a carcass. 

5c854a7ee6dc6_screen_(4851532110)_d90443ef-162a-4c56-88ec-8cd395f59559.thumb.png.364083095c27eb993837515b69ccc0ae.png

In my opinion a frozen carcass is where the saw should work best but also might be too unbalanced.

• Upvote 1

I told you I was going after something chubby. Quartering a bear takes two hours, but chopping everything on the spot is a nightmare. Guts take much time, and there's plenty of them. This was my first one-shot of a bear with an arrow, it died in a weird position.

bear (1).png

bear (2).png

bear (3).png

bear (4).png

bear (5).png

By the way, it seems that as freezing sets in the hatchet is less penalized than the knife and gains the advantage. I play Stalker so I don't use the hacksaw, I don't know. I carried one in this hunt for science's sake.

Edited by Doc Feral

2 hours ago, U47 said:

Also some thing to check is start quartering and push the ESC button to stop the process, then continue to quarter. Does the time restart or does is continue where you stopped?

It works like crafting, I tried just now. If you cancel the action the requested time decreases but you won't get partial results. Half time doesn't mean you pick half of the guts and three meat bags.

By the way, quartering is a fixed-time process. So when harvesting skill is still low, should a bladed tool be available, it may be the best option since it allows to relocate a whole carcass and start safely working on it. Remember all my screenshots are from a level 5 harvester.

Edited by Doc Feral

8 hours ago, peteloud said:

You make it hard for yourself.    Who needs 34kg of meat and 10 bits of gut.

Be more realistic and butcher 10kg of meat and leave the gut.  It saves a lot of time.

Crafting fur clothes uses plenty of guts, repairing them uses guts, making fishing lines, bows and traps use guts, don't understimate guts, no guts no glory.

And as roleplaying would have it, when I manage to kill such a mighty beast I imagine dancing around the fire, painting my face with ash and blood and thanking the fallen animal for granting me life saving supplies, so I feel bad wasting them.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Next mission, since I forgot to do it: compare harvesting times for parts (skin, gut, 1kg meat) and amount of stinkpuffs for carrying quarters or pieces.

(Of course I went back to that bear and quartered it leaving nothing)

Edited by Doc Feral
  • Upvote 2

About guts. Tried with a deer. I compared it with a rabbit and it's the same, so the species doesn't matter. Sorry, I left my hacksaw in the Dam, but we already know it's slower than the hatchet.

gut (1).png

gut (3).png

gut (4).png

Edited by Doc Feral

And that's with the improvised hatchet.

screen_134f9579-b773-4fdb-80b9-40c509c6bad7_hi.thumb.png.5c66f3c11b375712dcf41dd4bd8add37.pngscreen_cee7e78a-492e-4068-9798-914b33d540f9_hi.thumb.png.b8d9b0755136d6674f5ed6ee16a1fd90.pngscreen_e65e9433-8f90-48a8-9861-3047f4b288dd_hi.thumb.png.a1aad27a346af9f73120a70797acd44b.png

I admit counting nematodes and copepods was slightly more exciting than this, but research is research. I leave to someone else the amusement of making the calculations, such as the different combinations of stuff and the quantity beyond which quartering starts being really useful.

From what I've seen walking back and forth, a bear quarter doesn't stink as much as the meat it yelds when harvested. Not sure about smaller ones. I forgot comparing stinkpuffs, and I'm not eager to try it at the moment.

Edited by Doc Feral

Well, the main advantage of quartering is with large animals and long-term planning. If you play on custom settings which won't allow you to live long enough to cure a skin it's pointless. But having discovered that quartering can be stopped and resumed (I didn't know it before making these tests) makes it safer.

• Upvote 1

I adapt to each situation:  

1. How much weight can I spare?
  2. What's the temperature?
  3. Are predators nearby?

These questions determine whether I quarter or not, also what tool I use.  If predators are nearby, I will usually make a fire while I harvest.  If conditions are ideal, I will harvest by hand so as to save condition on my tools.  The latter is a bit overkill, but I just hit day 1,000 and resources are beginning to get scarce.

Edited by hozz1235
  • Upvote 2

i think you've missed that different tools are better in different situations. for instance, a hacksaw is the fastest for harvesting meat if the carcass is frozen, while knife is faster if the carcass is still fresh.

edit: just saw what you said about level 5 harvesting. i think that does mess things up. 

Edited by earthy

2 hours ago, earthy said:

i think you've missed that different tools are better in different situations. for instance, a hacksaw is the fastest for harvesting meat if the carcass is frozen, while knife is faster if the carcass is still fresh.

edit: just saw what you said about level 5 harvesting. i think that does mess things up. 

I just started a voyageur mapping run, so I'll do the comparisons at different levels.

HARVESTING LEVEL 1

That's with a frozen carcass. Still have to find an hatchet, but when it comes to meat the hacksaw is faster. One thing I can't understand, why is gutting a wolf different from gutting a deer? More calories, see? I don't think it's the difference in hacksaw condition, and both were 100% frozen. Maybe a frozen deer is harder than a frozen wolf. The plot thickens.

gut frozen knife.png

gut frozen saw.png

gut frozen saww.png

meat frozen knife.png

meat frozen saw.png

skin frozen knife.png

skin frozen saw.png

skin frozen saww.png

Edited by Doc Feral