Survival mode: Starting Inventory and Location

JohnDoe60

Hi,

I wish I was able to select where and which items the character starts with, allowing me to play a wider variety of Survival mode scenarios:

• Cartographer with top of the line clothing, basic camping equipment, and lots of high quality food.
  • Trapper with an extra rifle, cartridges, good camping equipment, and overloaded with snares.
  • Misanthrope easily surviving on fish but running out of everything else - hooks, lines, and about to sink.
  • etc.

In keeping with the Custom feature of making it easy to share a scenario:

• Read(/write) from text files in the user settings directory. e.g., cartographer.sce, trapper.sce, misanthrope.sce, ...
  • Provide a UI so players can easily select from available scenarios; something as simple as a "Select Scenario" button which opens a basic file chooser would work (the Scenario Editor Workshop front end can come later).
  • Warn about unknown/invalid items and locations in the scenario files, but otherwise ignore them - it would be up to the community to keep up with the game changing under their scenarios, worst case result should be nothing more serious than missing items and a random starting location.

An interesting expansion of this would be to allow for populating locations with items from lists, and user defined notes at specific locations...

Feel like this would have to be a custom game mode only thing, otherwise, as Moll said, it's basically a cheat. Like, in the custom game stuff you can select a "Pick Starting Gear" option. I do like the idea (and was actually thinking about it earlier today) and think it would make a fun way to add some role-playing to the game. One idea might be a neanderthal-like character who only uses crafted items and whatnot and only sleeps in caves, could be neat.

Archived