Dev Diary - March 2019

Admin

On 10.3.2019 at 5:29 AM, The Gentleman Bastard said:

Gotta say, @Sceh had an amazing thought/idea on being able to use the Revolver during animal struggles! Since it's a one handed weapon it is feasible, but... can you spare the bullet? *DUN DUN DUUUUUUUUUUN* (Dramatic sound que) Anyhow, for those of you that missed the Mailbag #25, here's her post in it's entirety:

1. Will the revolver have separate shooting skill from the rifle?  

2. Will it always spawn in a hunting bunker?

3. How rare will it be compared to the rifle?

4. Will it be possible toi use it in a bear/wolf/moose strugle?

*See mailbag for Ralph's answers

(And thank you @Sceh for your awesome line of questioning. I'm really hoping for the struggle implementation :) )

Thanks but it wasn't me. My question was about the Buffer Memories (and it turned out I was working under the impression that a bug was a feature, so wamp-waaamp-noise for me, just wasted Raphael's time ^^ ).

Thank you for the update, Raph! I'm super excited for Episode 3--I can't wait to start playing through Astrid's story. And I think the revolver is a perfect addition to the game! It reminds me very much of a S&W .44 magnum, which is so appropriate for this environment.

One of the things that really makes the experience for me is the choice of item models, and you all do such a good job of representing things I would expect to find in rural Canada. Sometimes I will play a game and the developer's representation of something seems so foreign that it takes me out of the experience completely. This may sound kind of dumb, but as somebody who enjoys bushcraft in my spare time (and lives in Alaska), I particularly notice tools and axes. Your hatchet model is very reminiscent of a Gransfors Bruks wildlife hatchet, which is a wonderful choice. And the knife feels very Norwegian--like a Helle maybe? Anyway, these are things I would actually take into the woods, so they do a lot for the experience. 

Thanks for all your hard work! 

Edited by Veruschka
  • Upvote 1

On 3/9/2019 at 10:29 PM, The Gentleman Bastard said:

Gotta say, @Sceh had an amazing thought/idea on being able to use the Revolver during animal struggles! Since it's a one handed weapon it is feasible, but... can you spare the bullet? *DUN DUN DUUUUUUUUUUN* (Dramatic sound que) Anyhow, for those of you that missed the Mailbag #25, here's her post in it's entirety:

1. Will the revolver have separate shooting skill from the rifle?  

2. Will it always spawn in a hunting bunker?

3. How rare will it be compared to the rifle?

4. Will it be possible toi use it in a bear/wolf/moose strugle?

*See mailbag for Ralph's answers

(And thank you @Sceh for your awesome line of questioning. I'm really hoping for the struggle implementation :) )

Edit: I'm dumb, I was looking at the bottom name and not the top. So thanks,  @Skelegutplays. @Sceh Is still cool tho ^^

• Like 2

On 3/11/2019 at 3:09 AM, Sceh said:

Thanks but it wasn't me. My question was about the Buffer Memories (and it turned out I was working under the impression that a bug was a feature, so wamp-waaamp-noise for me, just wasted Raphael's time ^^ ).

Ah, I'm dumb. I was looking at the bottom names, and not the top. You're still cool tho ^_^

• Like 1

On 9.3.2019 at 1:39 AM, MrMrCornMeat said:

FOR ALL CONCERNED

the axe blow Will took was unlikely to kill him

based on the position Wills head was in, the axe hit him somewhere between the shoulder and the neck. This is an artery that connects to the heart, so it was likely that it clotted before he lost too much blood, not to mention that fact that the heavy clothing would have assisted in the clotting of the blood. He is most likely unconscious 

Erm... do not try this at home. An axe severing your carotid artery will not leave you much time for the blood to clot.

• Upvote 3

48 minutes ago, Arran said:

I was hoping pistol and ammo for pistol would be craftable and would allow for skilling firearms on interloper. But after reading Mailbag it seems it wont happen

Now where in the hell would you find a reloading bench and all the resources neccessary to "craft" ammunition or a gun... Sorry to be the bummer of news but not possible without proper equipment or the skill to do so. I was also hoping I could craft me some proximity mines for those pesky wolves, but that ain't happenin any time soon...

• Upvote 1

Revolver looks like a Smith and Wesson M27 (357 magnum) or M29 (44 magnum).  The release catch is on the wrong side. I wonder if the cylinder will swing out to the right-side of the frame instead of the left-side? Not that it matters that much in a game. 

I would lean on the revolver being more the M27 since the barrel looks to be of the 4-inch variety. While the M29 could have a 4-inch barrel, a longer 6-1/2 inch barrel (ala Dirty Harry) might be better for a 44 magnum. 

Maybe they will also eventually change how the SMLE lays when you put it down. It is not a big thing, but laying the rifle bolt down just doesn't seem right. 

• Upvote 1

On 13.03.2019 at 3:39 PM, JeremiahJohnson said:

Now where in the hell would you find a reloading bench and all the resources neccessary to "craft" ammunition or a gun... Sorry to be the bummer of news but not possible without proper equipment or the skill to do so. I was also hoping I could craft me some proximity mines for those pesky wolves, but that ain't happenin any time soon...

Its a game not life simulator :P

Crafted pistol as other "improvised" tools are less effective. If you want 1-shot wolf use rifle. Pistol could be much better than hatchet during struggle tho.

And if you look at google there are schemas how to make a pistol using common items in home environment. Pipes can be forged in TLD and non metal elements crafted at workbench from leather / wood. Well people in pre-industrial age somehow made their guns  :)

Bullets is nothing more than simple metal ball with gunpowder (charcoal, niter and sulfur). Good question is how to obtain those minerals. There are some options - from scavenged fertilizers in farm areas or from deposits in mines.

Guest jeffpeng

If all that means that The Valley Of The Damned is finally getting something notable other than freezing Blizzards 3 out of 4 days ..... I'm all for it. Really, I sincerely hope so, because I can't find words both strong enough and still apropriate for this audience to describe the overwhelming amount of love I am not feeling for Pleasant Valley.

• 2 weeks later...

I love TLD. I've played the Survival mode in dozens of ways, for thousands of hours. I love watching TLD played by others. It's a game that allows for play as varied as the players themselves.

I am sad to say after thinking and thinking about the last Dev Diary, I feel punished.
I feel TLD players are being punished for being disappointed that Hinterland deadlines were not met. 

So... Now we won't be given dates for upcoming updates.

This actually further punishes us and inflict their own self punishment. No announced deadlines/updates? So no incentive to complete tasks by a certain date. No, we absolutely need to get this done! Instead, players don't know, so big deal, we can stop their complaining . No consequences for us.

What withholding of upcoming content dates also does is, it prevents players from having the anticipation of an actual scheduled update. Prevents the excitement from building and of course the wonderful speculation, hoping, wishing, and if onlys. If players don't know what or even when updates will happen we may look else where. Or worse, players will be thinking, "Isn't it time or well past time for an update!" anyway and be disappointed. (No date means it could be any date the player thinks is time for an update. So an actual date withheld becomes many dates missed.)

I thought and thought before writing this because maybe I was feeling "put in my place" or "punished because of what they did "didn't do" . But I don't think I'm the only one that may feel this way and the feeling didn't go away it ... it got stronger.

I can understand an Artist want to defend and protect their art but without those who love and appreciate their art...... What's worse, hungry, demanding, desperate for more fans or Silence?

I love The Long Dark and I can't tell you how much this game has meant and means to me.

RedRidinHoodx

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

On 3/25/2019 at 4:55 AM, RedRidinHoodx said:

I love TLD. I've played the Survival mode in dozens of ways, for thousands of hours. I love watching TLD played by others. It's a game that allows for play as varied as the players themselves.

I am sad to say after thinking and thinking about the last Dev Diary, I feel punished.
I feel TLD players are being punished for being disappointed that Hinterland deadlines were not met. 

This actually further punishes us and inflict their own self punishment. No announced deadlines/updates? So no incentive to complete tasks by a certain date. No, we absolutely need to get this done! Instead, players don't know, so big deal, we can stop their complaining . No consequences for us.

What withholding of upcoming content dates also does is, it prevents players from having the anticipation of an actual scheduled update. Prevents the excitement from building and of course the wonderful speculation, hoping, wishing, and if onlys. If players don't know what or even when updates will happen we may look else where. Or worse, players will be thinking, "Isn't it time or well past time for an update!" anyway and be disappointed. (No date means it could be any date the player thinks is time for an update. So an actual date withheld becomes many dates missed.)

I thought and thought before writing this because maybe I was feeling "put in my place" or "punished because of what they did "didn't do" . But I don't think I'm the only one that may feel this way and the feeling didn't go away it ... it got stronger.

I can understand an Artist want to defend and protect their art but without those who love and appreciate their art...... What's worse, hungry, demanding, desperate for more fans or Silence?

I love The Long Dark and I can't tell you how much this game has meant and means to me.

RedRidinHoodx

While I understand the nature of your post - everyone loves new content - the veiled threats of "we may look elsewhere" and the perceived slight of not being told a specific date indicate a certain lack of both empathy and TLD development history.

As has happened to Hinterland in the past and with many, many other game developers, missing a stated deadline does far more damage than the good of announcing one. Even I am guilty of coming down on them for some of their announcement decisions in the past, action I now regret. TLD isn't a cookie-cutter CoD game and Hinterland are no Bethesda; the concept is utterly unique and the dev team comparatively small, even after the expansion. Implicit here is that it's more difficult to know with certainty what will be done when even internally and additions must be considered more carefully, as they lack any precedent. What's the necessary difference between an excuse and the truth?

Making great content is more important to me than meeting a deadline and I'd rather have silence than a missed deadline.

Considering I have received a multitude of updates and overhauls all for the original asking price of the game - and keep in mind these aren't simply patches or bug fixes but large additional content releases - I feel only grateful. There is something more meaningful about receiving a random gift than one on my birthday.

Peace and patience my TLD brother. :)

On 3/24/2019 at 12:55 PM, RedRidinHoodx said:

This decision is absolutely not meant to be a "punishment" for players disappointed when we previously missed our deadlines. As stated this is just to help us manage expectations, not disappoint you and to ensure that we're not releasing content early to hit an arbitrary date that we've set.

The team at Hinterland will still have internal dates and goals and there are expectations on us to finish updates by a certain point so that we can move on to what's next, it's just that we're not going to say "X is coming out on day Y" three months in advance in a blog anymore. We will continue to showcase the things that we're working on, as Raph did here. 

Nothing is gained by us providing a date and then missing it. All it does is frustrate fans and we'd like to avoid that when possible.

Hey admin Not sure if possible but why not release like a beta version of each set of updates So those of us that can not wait can test drive them tell you about bugs and such. it would Help both sides the devs and us. Might be something to look into.

53 minutes ago, TheUnknown said:

Hey admin Not sure if possible but why not release like a beta version of each set of updates So those of us that can not wait can test drive them tell you about bugs and such. it would Help both sides the devs and us. Might be something to look into.

We have done test branches with the community in the past. It's not out of the question in the future.

22 hours ago, Carbon said:

Considering I have received a multitude of updates and overhauls all for the original asking price of the game - and keep in mind these aren't simply patches or bug fixes but large additional content releases - I feel only grateful.

I never understood this argument. You paid full price for a game, and you received 2/5ths of a game after years of waiting.  Sure, they updated that 2/5th of a game a few times, but it's still only 2/5th of what we paid for and expect. It doesn't matter how many times it's remastered, expecting people to be satisfied with 2/5th of what they paid for is silly.

• Upvote 2

On 3/13/2019 at 11:37 PM, UTC-10 said:

Revolver looks like a Smith and Wesson M27 (357 magnum) or M29 (44 magnum).  The release catch is on the wrong side. I wonder if the cylinder will swing out to the right-side of the frame instead of the left-side? Not that it matters that much in a game. 

I would lean on the revolver being more the M27 since the barrel looks to be of the 4-inch variety. While the M29 could have a 4-inch barrel, a longer 6-1/2 inch barrel (ala Dirty Harry) might be better for a 44 magnum. 

Maybe they will also eventually change how the SMLE lays when you put it down. It is not a big thing, but laying the rifle bolt down just doesn't seem right. 

With the .303, you should also be able to keep looking at your target while chambering another round.  I would have this as a level 5 ability.

Honestly, this is pretty hilarious. I backed this game how many years ago? It's been a year since I've posted here and there still hasn't been Episode III released when I said it wouldn't! People said I was crazy, and yet, still nothing. On to 2021!

I have never seen anything as mismanaged and poorly communicated as here. I spent $60 years ago to get a game that it looks like I never will.

Edited by MrJade

1 hour ago, MrJade said:

Honestly, this is pretty hilarious. I backed this game how many years ago? It's been a year since I've posted here and there still hasn't been Episode III released when I said it wouldn't! People said I was crazy, and yet, still nothing. On to 2021!

I have never seen anything as mismanaged and poorly communicated as here. I spent $60 years ago to get a game that it looks like I never will.

You need to cool down, friend. Nobody forced you to back this game when you did. And you did get some rewards out of it, things that us, non backers, can never get. That said, your opinion is surely welcomed, but I hope you will listen to the reason behind why some of these decisions you disagree with were made, as well. Also, before I proceed - please undertand that I have nothing against you, I do not hate you and I certainly do not wish to insult you in any way. If my response angers you, I apologize. I do not wish to argue, and if you want to respond to my comment, go ahead, but if it is going to be heated, please send it directly to my inbox via private message - we dont want to upset anyone else. What I wrote below comes from facts and observations I got as a member of this community for over 5 years, who has been very active in here, and who followed the goings of this studio for a very long time.

It is unfair to say that this game is mismanaged or poorly communicated. In fact, the opposite is true - the game has been well managed and planned so far, all things considering. Despite having to constantly battle with things that stacked the odds against them, Hinterland seems to prosper still. The game is being done slowly, nobody is denying that - but if one compared the earliest Alpha versions to how the game looks now, the amount of content added into it since then outweights the amount of content one would expect from an entirely new game. The developers also pay extremely close attention to what the players are saying, if those players can keep respectful approach and constructivity. Insults never get anyone anywhere in here - believe me, I know from personal experience, as insults were the reason I got myself banned here for 8 months. And absolutedly everything that has ever made it into the game so far have came from community suggestions and ideas, which were sometimes repeated many times over (which indicates that a huge amount of players wished for them, and such ideas are the ones you want to focus on, if you want to keep your customers happy, as a businessman would say).

The game is not just about the story mode, in fact, you could say its major aspect is Sandbox. Back when Hinterland worked hard on first two episodes of Story mode, other backers used to complain about the lack of Sandbox updates. Right now, they are trying to fulfil their obligations to this part of their gaming community. And once some more content for the sandbox comes out, they will put in full attention to Story mode once again. At least this is how it worked in the past. Now, the studio is much bigger, and as far as I know, there are two teams, that separatedly work on both Sandbox and story mode. That said, I imagine most of the personal fluctuates in between these two teams based on the neccesity.

The only reason why all the content that comes out in this game is of such high quality is because of how well this studio is managed, despite always having very limited resources. 

Lots of people used to complain, for example, about the lack of animations in the game. Which is understandable... but little did they know that it was because Hinterland, being the small indie studio it is, did not have the equipment neccesary to make these animations, and did not have the appropriate animator personel, either. They were forced to adjust their work on animations to the schedule of a recording studio, where they rented and recorded the movements, neccesary for said animations.

Now, there are much more animations coming into the game then in the past. This is because Hinterland was able to hire more animators, and obtained their very own equipment. 

Hinterland is managed far better then any other gaming company I know of, including the AAA studios. And I know what I am talking about because I have been following the steps of Mr. van Lierop for years, now. I am a student of management sciences and there is a lot to be learned from his business model.

Also note how the game barely changed in price over the several years of coming out. Yet, for some reason, the Hinterland studio seems to only do better and better, without having to increase the price. This shows that this game is still in the production stage known as "milking cow" in economical terms - a product that is on the top in its life cycle, where it produces most money to the company that creates it without the neccesity to adjust price or marketing strategies. Meanwhile, Hinterland keeps hiring new personal and expanding its team as the studio grows. 

We have to remember that as individuals, our voices and opinions count as one, and one voice gets lost in the sea of other voices. If you want to be heard, collect other likeminded players and organize your thoughts together with them, then have them back you up. Do so respectfully, and you are guaranteed to be heard in here. But just because you backed the game some years ago does not grant you some special priviledge to the rest of us players. 

Edited by Mroz4k
  • Upvote 3

I find Mr Jade's negative comments very, surprising and very, very unfair.

I am an old IT guy and I have played a great many games over decades.  I am retired so have lots of time to spend trying and playing games.  I regard TLD as the best game I have encountered.  It has many minor bugs and it doesn't have state-of-the-art graphics.  Those issues are very small issues. The game-play psychology is the best I have come across.  When I play this game, and I have played well over 2,000 game days at the Voyager - Stalker level, I am constantly amazed to find how carefully, and accurately, the game creates an illusion of reality. 

I could write a book on the seriously good aspects of the game, but I suspect that Mr Jade's expectations, enjoyment and challenges of a simulation of survival in a harsh environment are very different to mine, therefore my words would be wasted.  

I haven't had to survive in the severe wintry wastes of Canada, although I have read books about the hardships of the early explorers, but many times I have been out in hills in nasty conditions, and TLD re-creates the desperate need to find shelter when you are tired and cold and in the middle of nowhere.

For me, TLD, for all its development problems, is the greatest game ever.

Edited by peteloud
  • Upvote 1

Guest kristaok
7 hours ago, peteloud said:

For me, TLD, for all its development problems, is the greatest game ever.

Well said! I only have a few other games that I would consider "favorites", games I have been a fan of for many years... but no game has truly intrigued me or gripped me quite like TLD! 

Also I mentioned earlier about Hinterland taking their hard earned money and going back to do the redux, that had to have been a tough decision for them... they could have caused people to be angry, and they could have lost out on a lot of their money... but in the end I think they succeeded, and I truly believe they made the BEST decision ever! I applaud them deeply for making that tough decision! Yes people are definitely upset to not see Episode 3, but I am not one of them. Of course I want to play Episode 3, but I am more than willing to wait for it, I want it to be made right, I don't want something rushed out that is no good. Patience is definitely a virtue when it comes to games, anything rushed usually comes out buggy.

Sadly even if Hinterland did rush out Episode 3 without taking their time on it, someone would complain, I feel like poor Hinterland can't win for losing and that's just not fair. We really all need to gather around Hinterland and give them our support, give them a chance and be patient. ❤️ :) Just have faith in them and that they can deliver, they already have proven me they can deliver by just going back and doing the redux. They have truly made the game amazing, it has really come far since the beginning, with each update it gets better and better. I am glad they chose the redux over Episode 3, because now I know Episode 3 will be even better than it ever was intended to be. 

Lastly I must say I found this game around 2016 maybe? sadly I wasn't able to find it when it first came out, I wish I would have because I would have gladly backed it! I would back it and never expect anything extra, I would do such just because the game brings me joy! Hear me out, I absolutely love the Story Mode, but I think Survival is where it's at! I love the Sandboxy aspect of it all. So for those who are angry because Episode 3 etc. etc. has not dropped yet, keep playing Survival Mode, be patient, and give Hinterland a chance! These guys were indies, they probably most definitely didn't have loads of cash to make this game, if they did they wouldn't have needed backers. It's definitely not easy to make a game I'd say, and these things take time especially with a smaller team, and only here lately has Hinterland been getting more help etc. Also be prepared to see even better this year! the Revolver is coming along with more Items - woot woot! 

Love ya Hinterland ❤️

On 3/30/2019 at 4:05 AM, earthy said:

I never understood this argument. You paid full price for a game, and you received 2/5ths of a game after years of waiting.  Sure, they updated that 2/5th of a game a few times, but it's still only 2/5th of what we paid for and expect. It doesn't matter how many times it's remastered, expecting people to be satisfied with 2/5th of what they paid for is silly.

It's not an argument, it's a rationale. I paid for an early access game some time ago now and implicit in that agreement was that future development was somewhat ambiguous as was the timeline, an agreement to which I willingly submitted and have been more than satisfied with the product since that time. Besides, I wanted and bought survival mode; story mode is very cool, but that's not what I play and not why I paid.

When you bought the game, did you see any long-term timeline announcements? Were you deceived in this somehow? No, you weren't and no, there were no concrete deadlines announced, so while I somewhat understand your being disappointed if you bought in later and only for story mode, but you bought in with the ambiguous timeline in place, so...what's the problem again?

Finally, if you think Episode 3 is coming for free, I suspect that you'll be further disappointed. I expect HL to start thinking about not being a charity anymore; we've all gotten our more than money's worth between Ep. 1 & 2 and all of the survival mode content we've received and I for one will be happy to pay more for future content.

TLD is currently an amazing, one-of-a-kind game and more than worth the money, even if there were no more episodes to come.

Edited by Carbon