UI: Please make selection focus stay on items.

Shadrach

When sorting inventory on weight, and for instance dropping an item, focus will shift to the next item instead of following the item already selected, which then obviously has moved down. Then you have to find the item down in the list again to drop more, and again, and again. It gets really tiresome.

It's been a while since I played the game, and I distinctly remember it did follow the item earlier, but I might be mistaken. Was this changed?

Same goes for moving items into a container for instance, when sorted by weight.

That's not really a "fix" - when deciding what needs to be dropped to lighten the load, sorting by weight is the thing to do. It would be even more frustrating to have to go back and forth between the two sorting types.

It would also be a pretty "easy fix" for the devs, hence I made a request for it. If no-one requests it, how will they know the need is there? ;)

However, sorting by weight is showing you the collective weight of the entire number of those items you have in your inventory, not the per item weight.  So, when you drop an item from a group of them, the remaining group of them now weighs less than something else.  That's why the item moves.  As a result, I prefer it the way it is since I likely don't want to drop the entire group of such low-weight items as cat tails just because I initially had so many of them than they appeared at the top of the weight sort.

It mostly comes down to this: if you select a multi-item to unburned yourself (thus sorting by weight) and you just kept clicking the mouse without looking at the screen: what would you expect to happen?

1. Would you expect to drop 1 stone and then drop your bedroll (the next heaviest time)?
  2. Would you expect to continue dropping all 4 stones until there are no more, and then drop your magnifying glass (having exhausted the stones, it looks for the nearest item in weight to a single stone)

Interestingly, if you drop a multi-item that has 5 or more quantity, when you return from the multi-drop menu, the cursor follows the item even when the item shifts in the weight ordered list.  So, currently the UI is inconsistent in this regard.

Yes, I would expect the focus to follow the item, even if it changes place in the list, and not stay in the same place. I selected coal, I did not select the "inventory square #4". 

Like you say, there's an inconsistency with the way it works after using the multi-drop menu so definitely this should be sorted. I'd even say it's a bug.

1 hour ago, NardoLoopa said:

It mostly comes down to this: if you select a multi-item to unburned yourself (thus sorting by weight) and you just kept clicking the mouse without looking at the screen: what would you expect to happen?

1. Would you expect to drop 1 stone and then drop your bedroll (the next heaviest time)?
  2. Would you expect to continue dropping all 4 stones until there are no more, and then drop your magnifying glass (having exhausted the stones, it looks for the nearest item in weight to a single stone)

Interestingly, if you drop a multi-item that has 5 or more quantity, when you return from the multi-drop menu, the cursor follows the item even when the item shifts in the weight ordered list.  So, currently the UI is inconsistent in this regard.

How I would fix the inconsistency is to display the multi-drop menu whenever there is more than 1 item in that inventory slot, rather than requiring it to be more than 5 before that menu displays.  If 2 of 4 are what I want to drop, I'd like to be able to tell the UI to drop 2 at one time rather than clicking twice to drop them 1 at a time just because I don't have more than 5 of them.

I don't really have a problem with the cursor following the item as the weight diminishes.  Where I've noticed a problem is that, sometimes when I first open my inventory, it has stayed on an item slot and other times it's reverted back to the left-hand edge.  This has, at times, caused me to eat items I didn't want to eat because the UI stayed in the food menu from when I last exited it rather than being on the part that would allow me to select, say, medicines instead.

20 minutes ago, UpUpAway95 said:

How I would fix the inconsistency is to display the multi-drop menu whenever there is more than 1 item in that inventory slot, rather than requiring it to be more than 5 before that menu displays.

I can understand that desires.  However, I would not prefer that.  Actually, I find it much more clumsy and slower to drop multiples when I have 5+ items, than it would be to just click-5+ times in a row.  But I realize there needs to be some threshold for the bulk action.  If given my druthers I'd probably make it 10+.

4 hours ago, NardoLoopa said:

I can understand that desires.  However, I would not prefer that.  Actually, I find it much more clumsy and slower to drop multiples when I have 5+ items, than it would be to just click-5+ times in a row.  But I realize there needs to be some threshold for the bulk action.  If given my druthers I'd probably make it 10+.

Having options for every play style is nice, so I think an option to set the minimum number of items in a stack to get the "how many" UI, instead of just having the default of 5 or more be the only choice.

Archived