The Long Dark Mode Survey

Admin

• Admin featured and pinned this topic
19 minutes ago, admin said:

I have filled out the poll that I'm primarily interested in Story Mode.  I did want to explain though that I'm currently avoiding playing through story mode in anticipation of the next episode being released.  Ideally, I'd like to be able to start and finish the entire story (all 5 episodes) without a huge break between them... although I also realize that's not too likely to happen since I won't be able to hold off starting to play story mode for that long.  In the meantime, I am enjoying playing Survival Mode, but I can see where I will get bored with it eventually, regardless of difficulty setting.  I think it's great that this game is offering both in separate modes (as opposed to trying to combine a plot-driven story into a huge open=world game... which, it seems to me, doesn't work very well.  Keep up the good work.

• Upvote 1

Poll done.  Once I finished WM (all optional objectives met, all caches found, etc.), I switched back to SV.  I could see playing WM beyond the story once all episodes are done and all content is unlocked in that mode.

My current objectives are:  finding all buffer memories (7 left to go!) and locating all cairns.  When I find a cairn, I am also taking a screenshot of where I am on the map and naming that jpg the # of the cairn.  I hope to publish that someday/month/year!

Edited by hozz1235

I gave up on survival mode after all the years of asking that someone finally treats survival mode as a game itself and starts to balance things. With Redux, i actually enjoyed Wintemute, so i chose story mode although i naturally would've chose survival mode.

Survival is the way to go if slowly introducing challenge and story elements.

F.i. 

• Maybe distant massages can be heard in radio towers at aurora. Numbers leading you somewhere.
  • Clues leading to secret locations.
  • Blueprints to big craftings.
  • Wandering wolves outside normal patrol areas.
  • Upvote 1

I really want to know how the story unfolds any further, so I said Story Mode. But if I could choose both, I would have, cause Survival Mode is really something on its own. It is just sometimes I wish there would be a way to do somekind of creatable story elements within the survival mode. I was thinking hard what I think this could be, so far no real idea how this could be done. I dont mean any written or scripted elements, something else, but not sure what I really mean. 

I just sometimes stumble around and get actually virtual depressions inside the survival mode, which is great, cause its realistic and you have to fight to go on and learn how to deal with this situation, Thats one part I really love about the survival mode, which had changed me in regard to the real world as well. 

• Upvote 1

After completing the Redux Wintermute I wondered whether it is necessary to have Wintermute as a separate game.  Could this not be created as if were an Achievement using the standard survival map with a special subset of additional inclusions, i.e. spear, bear, people.  Doing so would mean that we would be able to access all regions and all of the usual places.

close one for me..

Story & challenges win out atm because I feel starting with clear goals aside from 'just' survival suits me.

I think that is mainly because Survival mode is not there to win me over just yet. The way Aurora changes & challenges the player could be interesting but rarely impacted me in any way. Exploration / curiosity is a main driving force playing survival for me and some secrets / puzzles / deeper systems you would have to learn are rarely encountered (but then i havnt player too much.. ~200h). Overall it is the 'mundanity' that keeps me from really getting into it. I feel there could be 'meat' there to sink my teeth into, but i havnt found it yet *(strangely i know it should be there but this is what my bias tells me so take it with a dose of salt).

Edited by Dawnshift
detailing further

Survival allows the player to write their own story

Wintermute tells Raph’s Story. 

Both have positives and drawbacks but, imo, the ability to write my own verse keeps me locked on Survival. 

Edited by Bano
  • Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, Stone said:

It would be interesting to see gamers split of time between survival and story mode along with total play time. 

It would be hard to interpret such a comparison.  Wintermute is, what, 10hrs of content (I'm just throwing out a guess, here.  Double it if you like).  Survival goes on as long as you want it (let's say 100hrs, just to be conservative).  But I don't know what that would mean.  Personally, my I'm 5hrs and 700hrs.  (and of course, I can only do Wintermute in 5hrs because I know all the maps from my 700hrs of Survival).

Perhaps more important to Hinterland is why did you initially pull the trigger on the purchase, rather than what do you enjoy more after the purchase.  And while I feel Survival is the game, I will admit I purchased TLD on the announcement that Wintermute was about to be released (1&2) and thought the price might increase afterward.  I would guess that the release of Ep3 would receive more purchases than adding another animal or map into the core game.

3 hours ago, Stone said:

It would be interesting to see gamers split of time between survival and story mode along with total play time. 

I have 328 hrs in now. I've played through WM once before redux and now I'm at 50% of EP1. So I guess it's about 315 hrs survival vs. maybe 13 hrs Wintermute now. For me Wintermute is a nice add on to the game, for sure. What pulled the trigger for me in the end was the setting: you are alone out there in the harsh environment, you have to learn fast, avoid stupid choices and there are no zombies. Youtube videos helped to ingite the fire and Steam offering it for 12,79 EUR (16,78 EUR with the OST) did the rest. I feel almost like I have stolen this game from a shop...

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

Holy Snot Rocket how did I miss this survey?  I picked Survivor mode, because at its core that's what this game is all about.  I'm a pretty early supporter...not as early as some, but early enough to remember when the game was just Mystery Lake, Pleasant Valley, and Coastal Highway (and the respective transition zones).  I've logged well over 2000 hours of my life playing Survivor mode, and maybe a couple dozen playing Wintermute.

That said, I absolutely enjoy Story mode, in the same sense that I enjoy each of the Challenge modes...even though I haven't touched them in over a year.  I still like them...I still want more...I just don't touch them that often.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

Sandbox/Survival mode by far. I don't even bother with challenges and I played about 2 hours of story mode at first but I didn't like the pace found it to be very linear. I like the lore and of story mode and it would be great to see more of that translated into survival mode but I find I definitely prefer the freedom that survival mode offers. Honestly this game would be great with just survival mode imo.

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...
On 2/26/2019 at 5:31 PM, Admin said:

As part of a non-scientific poll based on our curiosity, we're interested in what mode you are PRIMARILY interested in (don't worry, we're working on both and are just curious to see how this audience skews). Let us know here.

(Please click the link and fill out the 1 question form vs. just replying here).

Thanks.

Challenge-mode. It adds meaning for everything :)

Edited by Yavind

• 1 month later...

I've always been more of a survival mode fan to be honest, but I have to admit I do enjoy the story mode as well.  I was incredibly impressed with Chapter 3 however.  It was totally engrossing and loved the new mechanics brought into the game.  Each mode has it's strengths and things to love about it.  So to conclude, I'm quite happy with whatever gets released, story or survival mode.  Help that helps.

P.S. As this is my first post, Id like to say what an amazing job @Raphael van Lierop and the Hinterland team have done in bringing us such a unique gaming experience.  Having been a avid gamer for over 30 years (right back to my Commodore 64 when I was a wee boy) I don't think I have ever played a game which draws me back time and time again like the fantastic Long Dark.  Truly deserves all the praise it can get.  Cheers

• Upvote 1

Guest jeffpeng
On 11/18/2019 at 3:29 AM, NightstalkerNZ said:

As this is my first post

Welcome to the forums.

On 11/18/2019 at 3:29 AM, NightstalkerNZ said:

Having been a avid gamer for over 30 years (right back to my Commodore 64 when I was a wee boy) I don't think I have ever played a game which draws me back time and time again like the fantastic Long Dark.  Truly deserves all the praise it can get.  Cheers

We might be about the same age. My first computer was the old bread bucket as well. Probably not a conincidence we feel the same about the game :D

On 7/31/2019 at 2:39 PM, ajb1978 said:

how did I miss this survey? 

No idea. I missed it as well. If nobody had necro'd this thread (again) I'd never put in my answer.

Plus ... yeah.... survival mode is the heart and soul of the game imho. I really liked Ep3, so I am very much anticipating more of Story Mode, but when someone asks me what's great about The Long Dark ..... I'd probably say: timeless, individually paced, infinitely replayable, solitary .... nothing of which applies to Story Mode.

• 5 months later...

Survey done, I bought TLD a long long time ago for the Story Mode, before we even had a story mode...

Finally got around to finishing all 3 Episodes, it was very good, but now I need to see what's next.

Are there per chance any estimates for the release dates of the next 2 episodes ?

Even just knowing what year they will be released will help a lot and I think a lot of people would appreciate this information.

Edited by BobMaster
  • Upvote 1