Ruined Clothing During Wolf Attacks

UpUpAway95

I'm wondering if this is normal/reasonable in Voyageur-level games.. I started a new custom game changing loot spawns to very high.  I spawned near the Carter Hydro Dam, so I looted the dam immediately and found several nice pieces of clothing and a couple of sewing kits (thanks to the custom loot setting).  Before leaving the dam, I fixed everything to nearly 100% condition.  Upon exiting the dam gate and heading to the trailer, I was jumped by a wolf.  I fended off the attack using a hunting knife I had found, although I was probably a little slower on the draw due to being totally surprised by the attack.  However, that dang wolf completely ruined 4 pieces of clothing - my jeans, my Canada toque, my ear wrap, and my leather gauntlets.  I thought that if things were well mended they shouldn't get ruined in a single attack.  In addition, my expedition parka was taken down from 100% to 46%.  I wonder if the game was compensating for the custom setting somehow.

That does seem odd. I have survived a number of wolf attacks on stalker and have never had ruined clothes that were near or at 100%. It was always stuff they was 40% or below in my experience. But idk if my wolf and deer skin cloths play a part of protecting other clothes with their protection %'s.

7 hours ago, U47 said:

Sounds like the setting "Struggle Clothing Damage" is set to High in your custom settings. Might want to double check your settings the next run you start.

Is clothing damage set to high in Voyageur?  I started with a Voyageur template and then changed the loot settings to very high.  Of course, it's not absolutely impossible that sliders were changed by accident, but it is pretty unlikely when the loot settings are at the top and the clothing damage ones are near the bottom.  It would be nice to be able to verify what settings you used in the journal after starting a run.  It's perhaps more likely that the entire template flipped to stalker or perhaps even interloper without me realizing it.

1 hour ago, DerpyLemon115 said:

Seems like you got really unlucky. What I think might have happend was you got the "torn clothing" affliction during the struggle like 3 or 4 times in a row resulting in heavily damaged clothing. 

Is it a RNG thing then - regardless of setting?  What you're suggesting is making some sense in that I wasn't injured as seriously as I have been during other attacks... even one where I was wearing a Military Coat (which is supposed to offer superior protection to the Expedition Parka I was wearing during this attack).

4 minutes ago, DerpyLemon115 said:

Yes, when you get pinned by a wolf it start rolling a bunch of different afflictions during the struggle. Here is a quick list of some

-Bruises (5 condition damage)

-Laceration (20 condition damage)

-Sprains

-Blood loss and infection risk

-Torn clothing

Since you didn't take to much condition damage you probably only rolled a bunch of torn clothing instead.

Thanks.  That explains it then.

I don't know what the default Voy setting is for clothing struggle damage, but as others have said, I wouldn't have thought 100% clothing would be ruined...unless you were really slow in fighting him off.  Also, the knife is the best for injuring the wolf be worst for getting him to run off (hammer is best for that).

23 hours ago, hozz1235 said:

I don't know what the default Voy setting is for clothing struggle damage, but as others have said, I wouldn't have thought 100% clothing would be ruined...unless you were really slow in fighting him off.  Also, the knife is the best for injuring the wolf be worst for getting him to run off (hammer is best for that).

The knife was all I had at that point, so I only had to choose between it and my bare hands.  I don't think I was hugely slow in fighting the wolf off, but maybe a little slower than normal for me because I was seriously surprised by the attack in that I just simply never saw the wolf around the trailer and he attacked just before I reached the trailer door.  I deleted that file since I was just really trying to get a sense of what some of the different custom settings do.   What I might do though is start another game like it and see if it happens again.

Tonight I lost a pair of leather gauntlets that I had just repaired to 100%.  (they were 99% at time of attack).  I only saw one torn clothing line in the attack.  I lost 20%condition.  Three other pieces lost 20%+ including wolfskin coat.  To me this needs fixing.  A 12 second brawl with a wolf should not completely destroy a new pair of leather gauntlets, the supposedly toughest gloves in the game. Stalker/interloper custom mix.

41 minutes ago, galadhlinn said:

Tonight I lost a pair of leather gauntlets that I had just repaired to 100%.  (they were 99% at time of attack).  I only saw one torn clothing line in the attack.  I lost 20%condition.  Three other pieces lost 20%+ including wolfskin coat.  To me this needs fixing.  A 12 second brawl with a wolf should not completely destroy a new pair of leather gauntlets, the supposedly toughest gloves in the game. Stalker/interloper custom mix.

I'm tending to agree.  If it's so random anyways whether or not clothing will be ruined in an attack, why do we bother with repairs at all?

On 3/5/2019 at 12:13 AM, UpUpAway95 said:

I'm tending to agree.  If it's so random anyways whether or not clothing will be ruined in an attack, why do we bother with repairs at all?

I'm guessing the prior example is an exception and not the norm.  Who knows, maybe he got his hands stuck in the wolves mouth through the fight....depends on the "struggle clothing decay" setting he chose.  If you want it to be more forgiving, choose a lower setting.

I

20 hours ago, hozz1235 said:

I'm guessing the prior example is an exception and not the norm.  Who knows, maybe he got his hands stuck in the wolves mouth through the fight....depends on the "struggle clothing decay" setting he chose.  If you want it to be more forgiving, choose a lower setting.

Crikey - I stated what settings I used.  The template for the custom game was Voyageur.  The only setting(s) that was changed increased the drops:

That is, Baseline Resource Availabiltiy was moved from High to Very High.  It's the first setting listed in the Custom menu.  Nothing about damage, wolf struggles, or wolf behavior was changed from the Voyageur ones (and were not accidentally changed because those settings are near the bottom of the list).  The Voyageur settings are:  Struggle Bonus is Medium, Struggle Condition Damage Modifier is None, Struggle Clothing Damage Modifier is Low, Struggle Damage Severity is Medium.

Unless my template selection moved to either stalker or interloper by mistake (and I don't think it did), those were the settings in play at the time I was attacked.  The attack damaged me very little, but ruined 4 items of clothing (all very good stuff because of the change to the first setting).  I'm accept the explanation that it was an unlucky roll of the RNG in this game... and not some sort of built in programmed compensation for the increased quality drops.  Naturally, I could set the struggle damage as well, but that wasn't the intent of this "test" of custom settings.  I'm merely working my way through them individually to get a better understanding of what each on does.

I am still leaning towards saying it is something that could use some tweaking.  I don't think it should be possible for a wolf to outright ruin clothing that is at or very near to 100% condition at the time of the attack... let alone 4 pieces of it in a single attack.  Why bother repairing at all if it just comes down to RNG?

In a different Voyageur file (not custom), I recently fended off a wolf with a knife and received absolutely no clothing damage... even my 23% gauntlets survived the attack.  I did have more injuries.

Today I was a bit careless and ran into a wolf. Actually I didn't want to waste a bullet on him, and I had full condition (Stalker level) so I was like, ok, let's get into that fight then. 

Turned out to be an extremely stupid decision. I am near Monolith Like in Hushed River Valley, and that wolf RUINED my bedroll. It went from 70% to ruined in a single fight. 

Not sure what to do now. I've explored all of Hushed River Valley and haven't found another bedroll. So I might  have to leave the region (oh did I mention that there's a blizzard building up?) and try to make it to Milton without any rest. Is that really the best option, or what would you suggest? My 200+ day stalker run just got a lot more exciting. Maybe I should be grateful for that, haha.

". . . and that wolf RUINED my bedroll. "

I am not too bothered about my clothing being ruined by a wolf or bear but I have had my bedroll ruined completely in HRV a few times.  This is a major problem.  If that happens when you are in the far north of HRV, in a blizzard, it is almost impossible to get back to somewhere where there is a bed or a replacement bedroll.

I now try and keep several bedrolls spread around hostile areas ready for such an emergency.  I also try to keep them in good condition.  I suspect that if they are just left and forgotten they will deteriorate, become completely ruined and only good for harvesting for cloth.

I thought that using bearskin bedrolls might solve the problem, but they seemed no more resistant to wolf/bear attacks and seemed to deteriorate faster than standard bedrolls.

20 hours ago, melcantspell said:

Today I was a bit careless and ran into a wolf. Actually I didn't want to waste a bullet on him, and I had full condition (Stalker level) so I was like, ok, let's get into that fight then. 

Turned out to be an extremely stupid decision. I am near Monolith Like in Hushed River Valley, and that wolf RUINED my bedroll. It went from 70% to ruined in a single fight. 

Not sure what to do now. I've explored all of Hushed River Valley and haven't found another bedroll. So I might  have to leave the region (oh did I mention that there's a blizzard building up?) and try to make it to Milton without any rest. Is that really the best option, or what would you suggest? My 200+ day stalker run just got a lot more exciting. Maybe I should be grateful for that, haha.

My first inclination would be to try to start heading for the zone exit.  If you're getting worried about tiredness sapping your health too much, stop a make a snow shelter and get some rest that way.

Archived