boy_scout_kevin

Journal file?

9 posts in this topic

I like to keep a personal log in TLD even more than I do IRL, but it looks like I just reached the end its capacity. The typing field simply stopped taking anything else. Is there a way save the old entries externally so I can clear it and continue? Anybody know where/how those notes are stored? Thanks.

4 hours ago, boy_scout_kevin said:

I like to keep a personal log in TLD even more than I do IRL, but it looks like I just reached the end its capacity. The typing field simply stopped taking anything else. Is there a way save the old entries externally so I can clear it and continue? Anybody know where/how those notes are stored? Thanks.

Happened to me when I wanted to publish my journals during 4 days of Night. I think nothing can be done about it. I now double-screen an Open Office window.

• Upvote 1

You could take screenshots of the text, then use an OCR (Optical Character Recognition) program to scan and create a text file. There's a free OCR program found here. I use it and it works fine.

I know, it's a bit of a pain but it does work.

• Upvote 2

23 hours ago, Hawk said:

You could take screenshots of the text, then use an OCR (Optical Character Recognition) program to scan and create a text file. There's a free OCR program found here. I use it and it works fine.

I know, it's a bit of a pain but it does work.

Linux user here, but thanks. I have access to a few ocr progs I've used before, but I've suddenly realised that I don't like in-game journaling quite that much =) Maybe I'll suggest making the journal easier to transfer to the outside world to Hinterland.

Edited by boy_scout_kevin

3 hours ago, boy_scout_kevin said:

Maybe I'll suggest making the journal easier to transfer to the outside world to Hinterland.

I'd like that myself. Much easier. ^_^

Hi @boy_scout_kevin , can you tell us what platform you play on? (Steam, Xbox One, PS4, etc)

For each Day survived, you should have a Daily Log, which you can add a Notes Entry to if you wish by selecting the Day and then clicking over to the Notes tab.

Each Note entry does have size limit -- something in the area of 10k characters -- but if you've survived for 20 days you should have 20 different entries you can add notes to, which can add up to a fair bit of space.

@Support is there or is it even a possibility to extract daily journals from an existing run? Even in game it’s a Pain to open the journal and review notes. . It would be nice to be able to extract those entries as a way to share survival stories.

I have a Vanilla Loper run of 1363 with lots of journal entries but it’s tedious scrolling through the days to find my entries. 

Is OCR really the only way to pull this text?

All I know is that I have journal entries covering the vast majority of 1,000+ game days in each of my three sandboxes. They tend to cover maybe a page, sometimes two for each day. It would be nice to be able to export them in some fashion.

Thanks for your posts! Right now there isn't much in the way of tools for sharing or exporting Journal Notes, although it's something we've talked about. Thanks for letting us know it's something you'd be interested in!