Harvest fuel from storm lanterns (and cars?)

Ninjasnigeln

I feel that the ability to harvest lantern fuel from extra lanterns you find, is missing.

Say for example that you have a 95% condition lantern with 0,5 liters of fuel. Then you find another one in 35% condition with 0,5 liters as well. Then you should be able to take the fuel from the bad one and add it to the good one. Maybe through harvesting (and also getting scrap metal) or another action (not unlike the unloading of the rifle) for just the fuel.

Would also be cool if you could take fuel from cars (if there is any) and use for lanterns or fire starting accelerants.

What do you think?

The harvesting screen does make it appear that the oil is not part of the harvested materials.

5c6ed52de85b5_screen_(11520)_79fe7a5a-0558-4f24-99ee-9b2fb95cd6f3.thumb.png.2706928cce3108f0f034a0b20437e260.png

However the lantern can be harvested and the fuel inside it does go into inventory.

5c6ed54288373_screen_(11520)_07171997-f1ad-4928-8ff0-559f7d59a779.thumb.png.26797b75155fe85c867ab0767897c571.png

Lantern has 0.55 litre of oil.

5c6ed549b6691_screen_(11520)_870b5962-189f-4938-9ee5-8b132fa0abdd.thumb.png.a4e6c7ca02802b15c1f6cd66ef2be651.png

After harvesting there is 0.55 litre of oil in backpack.

I'd like to be able to refill jerry cans and/or combine some of the small partly full lantern fuel containers we find.  To make matters worse, refilling the lantern doesn't seem to draw from the emptiest container first.  I tend to wind up with several lantern fuels in my inventory... all with very small amounts of fuel left in them.  I've gone to dropping (beforehand) all but the container I want the lantern to use to refill and then picking the others up again afterwards.

4 hours ago, UpUpAway95 said:

I've gone to dropping (beforehand) all but the container I want the lantern to use to refill and then picking the others up again afterwards.

Been there.  Done that.  The idea is already on the wish list.  The decay value of the fuel seems to be at issue.  Mixing old fuel with new fuel is forbidden. :lantern:

3 hours ago, Ice Hole said:

Been there.  Done that.  The idea is already on the wish list.  The decay value of the fuel seems to be at issue.  Mixing old fuel with new fuel is forbidden. :lantern:

When you cook a fish with an existing small container or Jerry can with low condition fuel, isn't the new fuel from the cooked fish placed in the existing container until it is full?

Never really paid attention to this but I believe is what happens and that is mixing different condition fuel.

6 hours ago, U47 said:

When you cook a fish with an existing small container or Jerry can with low condition fuel, isn't the new fuel from the cooked fish placed in the existing container until it is full?

Never really paid attention to this but I believe is what happens and that is mixing different condition fuel.

I don't think so.  When I fish in Coastal Highway, I'll get some containers with 0.50L in them and some (more than one) with less, say, 0.33 to 0.44L each.  I just finished cooking up several fish in TWM, and I have multiple containers now in my inventory... all ranging from 0.09L to 0.14L.  None of them have 0.50L or even close to that.

2 hours ago, Doc Feral said:

When does a lantern's condition become relevant? Bear attack, maybe if it's equipped? And fuel's? Neither lanterns nor fuel supplies seem to decay with time. Same for matches, condition is only a bother since it creates many different boxes.

Yeah, that's the way I see it as well.  I think they should just set the condition at 100% for fuel and matches and let the game combine what is collected into a single inventory box.  They could treat it like water.  If the item is dropped, it would drop in suitably sized containers.

Exactly. I never got why oil can have 25 % condition. Why i can have 1 liter of 62 % condition and 0.2 litre of 28 %.

Matches, oil should not have a condition.  Or at least bottle/box condition should give me percentage volume of 100 % liquid for stacking. 

Latern can have condition, because worn out when in use.

System that you found bottle of oil with 50 % condition which you gave 50 % of volume is logic. However volume of provided oil would be 100 % for simply stacking.

Because you have already volume ingame, the easiest way is condition to be be removed that you can find volume of 100 % oil at all times.

6 hours ago, Moll said:

Exactly. I never got why oil can have 25 % condition. Why i can have 1 liter of 62 % condition and 0.2 litre of 28 %.

Matches, oil should not have a condition.  Or at least bottle/box condition should give me percentage volume of 100 % liquid for stacking. 

Latern can have condition, because worn out when in use.

System that you found bottle of oil with 50 % condition which you gave 50 % of volume is logic. However volume of provided oil would be 100 % for simply stacking.

Because you have already volume ingame, the easiest way is condition to be be removed that you can find volume of 100 % oil at all times.

Fuel oil goes bad. It has a shelf life.  It gets moisture in it. It will have funky molds growing in it. Having said that, keeping it in an airtight container and in the cold environment should bring that shelflife to over a year and maybe 2 years. Even without fungus and other microbes, external water contamination, or exposure to brass and other metals that react or act as a catalyst.  So... while they were on the right track, they should probably get rid of the condition for oil. Then again, combining all those oil containers would introduce moisture and microbial contamination... I am on the fence on it myself. Not that my opinion matters much. 

4 hours ago, krisspykriss said:

Fuel oil goes bad. It has a shelf life.  It gets moisture in it. It will have funky molds growing in it. Having said that, keeping it in an airtight container and in the cold environment should bring that shelflife to over a year and maybe 2 years. Even without fungus and other microbes, external water contamination, or exposure to brass and other metals that react or act as a catalyst.  So... while they were on the right track, they should probably get rid of the condition for oil. Then again, combining all those oil containers would introduce moisture and microbial contamination... I am on the fence on it myself. Not that my opinion matters much. 

It's the same with water though.  Even when bottled, it doesn't keep forever and opening it to combine volumes would expose it to microbes... yet, we don't have a problem in game with finding 1L and 0.5L bottles and the game just combining them into the volume we have in our inventory.  I'm just thinking of the visual inconvenience of carrying around many small containers of lantern fuel.  The few item slots we have to scroll through, the easier it is to see what we have and what we might want to dump (or rather how much of an item like lantern fuel we might want to dump) to lighten the load.

Archived