Loonsloon

My Interloper Run

Recommended Posts

Hi all, I'm a relative newbie to TLD and have fallen in love with the beautiful simplicity of Survival Mode.  Moving from fire to fire and meal to meal is peaceful because everything is so immediate.  As stressful as this game can be, I ultimately find it to be very mentally relaxing because of the moment-to-moment focal nature of it.  Finally I can make it for an interesting amount of time on Interloper.  I made a Youtube series capturing my latest interloper run.  The goal of the series is to capture the first week or two leading up to and including the tool forge.  Please have a look if you are interested in that kind of thing.  Wishing you peace in the Q.A.,

Loonsloon

 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi! Welcome to the forum.

I also enjoy watching the long dark videos. It's exciting when a new person comes in to share them. Judging by you having all the feats you do have player experience. You need to play a very long game to get 1000km.

To warm up you can also sleep 1h, recover a bit of health too. :)

Edited by tulkawen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well done @Loonsloon. I just started to record an Interloper run for the first time ever recording the other day which I might post up on youtube in a few weeks once I record a few more days. I found it a very different and distracting experience to try to play and talk at the same time so kudos to you.

I'm up to about ep 6 in your series. I must say I'm a little worried about how often you walk about with meat in your pocket. I almost never do unless actively hunting wolves as even without a smell bar they can still detect you with meat on from quite a distance. But hey if it works for you :)

Keep up the good work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks man. Glad you enjoyed and I look forward to seeing your play through videos. I know what you mean about the challenge in concurrently verbalizing. It’s getting easier though.

W.r.t carrying meat; I hear ya. I’m divided about what the right thing to do is. Stink and have a decoy vs be stealthy but have no decoy. I pretty much assume some close encounters in early game so I figure I need to have a decoy.  Best is cooked meat because I think you can carry two small pieces and have no smell. I feel anxiety with no decoy.  With a decoy, push comes to shove you have a way out. Unless there is more than one wolf...

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2019-02-20 at 8:43 PM, tulkawen said:

Hi! Welcome to the forum.

I also enjoy watching the long dark videos. It's exciting when a new person comes in to share them. Judging by you having all the feats you do have player experience. You need to play a very long game to get 1000km.

To warm up you can also sleep 1h, recover a bit of health too. :)

Thx tulkawen.  I guess you’re right - I have all the feats so I know what I’m doing. I guess I just see a lot of folks who have been playing since early access. I picked it up on release. I have a 300 day interloper run - I don’t know if I have it in me to do the remaining 200 for the 500 day badge. Instead I like the early game. First 10 days are best, and after first 30-60 I’d say it’s a ‘game’.  My play through videos are focusing on that early game. Stand by for season 2 - will probably start uploading tonight. Just working on the audio a bit as I didn’t like the volume mixing in my first try.

Sleeping for one hour is a great way to warm up. I guess sometimes I’m worried that it will throw off my circadian rhythm though:)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The deep game is interesting and you shouldn't write it off. It is quite different from the early game, but it has its own challenges.

The big one is managing complacency. Once you get to the deep game (top notch clothing, good tools, hunting tools, and skills at max) it's far less dangerous, but complacency can really get you. The daily grind is just that, a daily grind; gather wood, hunt if necessary, make water, etc etc. This gets punctuated by the need to relocate regions after a few months game time because you've hunted it out. In the meantime, you're looking at the slow winding down of global resources, esp. wrt saplings. I've got a guy at around day 650 and they're nearly all gone. So, from time to time you get to move to another region, which generally will have repopulated somewhat wrt game but at a much lower level than in the early game. It becomes much more about being able to stretch your resources to ensure your continued survival... and from time to time you will find yourself in that place where all of a sudden complacency has put you between a rock and a hard place with no easy way out. It's how my long run guy got frostbite on day five hundred something... made a mistake about where to build a fire and passed out for the night to wake up with only about half an hour to go until frostbite set in, no wood on hand to start a fire, and no shelter nearby to run to to ditch the wet and frozen clothing and climb into a bed. He got frostbite and a permanent disability. He could have died but while I was acquiring the frostbite I was also acquiring wood and got it to the point where a fire could be built to warm up... this time in a place sheltered from the blizzard that had blown in and put me in that very very bad place.

The deep game is not a bad game, it's just a different game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Loonsloon said:

Thanks man. Glad you enjoyed and I look forward to seeing your play through videos. I know what you mean about the challenge in concurrently verbalizing. It’s getting easier though.

W.r.t carrying meat; I hear ya. I’m divided about what the right thing to do is. Stink and have a decoy vs be stealthy but have no decoy. I pretty much assume some close encounters in early game so I figure I need to have a decoy.  Best is cooked meat because I think you can carry two small pieces and have no smell. I feel anxiety with no decoy.  With a decoy, push comes to shove you have a way out. Unless there is more than one wolf...

 

Well I'm now about 4 episodes into  my run (trying to keep them to around an hour each) My goal was to record about 6 episodes and put them up as knowing me it will be quite difficult to keep to a regular schedule due to work but I can binge do them from time to time. Will hopefully have them uploading by the end of this weekend and I'll make a post somewhere on the forums about it

In one of my sessions I do talk about my take on carrying meat vs not. Hope it comes across as I intend which is not a criticism of that play style but as a dissection of why I go with my choice. :)

Will keep on with watching what you're getting up to. If you haven't already found his channel I recommend searching for @TurkeySteams channel on you tube. A bunch of videos, small subscriber base but I really dig his laconic style and dry Canadian wit. I have a feeling you'd really gel with what he does based on your style.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, stratvox said:

The deep game is interesting and you shouldn't write it off. It is quite different from the early game, but it has its own challenges.

The big one is managing complacency. Once you get to the deep game (top notch clothing, good tools, hunting tools, and skills at max) it's far less dangerous, but complacency can really get you. The daily grind is just that, a daily grind; gather wood, hunt if necessary, make water, etc etc. This gets punctuated by the need to relocate regions after a few months game time because you've hunted it out. In the meantime, you're looking at the slow winding down of global resources, esp. wrt saplings. I've got a guy at around day 650 and they're nearly all gone. So, from time to time you get to move to another region, which generally will have repopulated somewhat wrt game but at a much lower level than in the early game. It becomes much more about being able to stretch your resources to ensure your continued survival... and from time to time you will find yourself in that place where all of a sudden complacency has put you between a rock and a hard place with no easy way out. It's how my long run guy got frostbite on day five hundred something... made a mistake about where to build a fire and passed out for the night to wake up with only about half an hour to go until frostbite set in, no wood on hand to start a fire, and no shelter nearby to run to to ditch the wet and frozen clothing and climb into a bed. He got frostbite and a permanent disability. He could have died but while I was acquiring the frostbite I was also acquiring wood and got it to the point where a fire could be built to warm up... this time in a place sheltered from the blizzard that had blown in and put me in that very very bad place.

The deep game is not a bad game, it's just a different game.

The deep game! That's awesome.  Thinking back to my 300 day run, I had tons of everything stocked up and it would likely take another 300 days to burn it down.  When you get into harvesting bears and moose, you get so much meat that it is weeks.  I know what you mean about complacency.  The cartography activity also forces you to take risks that break the basic survival loop.

The main thing is that it's not practical to make a 300-500 day playthrough video, but maybe some have.  I don't have the harddrive space or life space unfortunately.  I wonder if one could do a video every 30 days or something.  But yea - what you say makes me want to rejoin my 300 day survivor and take it further.  At least to 500 for that darn badge!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, DaveMcD said:

Well I'm now about 4 episodes into  my run (trying to keep them to around an hour each) My goal was to record about 6 episodes and put them up as knowing me it will be quite difficult to keep to a regular schedule due to work but I can binge do them from time to time. Will hopefully have them uploading by the end of this weekend and I'll make a post somewhere on the forums about it

In one of my sessions I do talk about my take on carrying meat vs not. Hope it comes across as I intend which is not a criticism of that play style but as a dissection of why I go with my choice. :)

Will keep on with watching what you're getting up to. If you haven't already found his channel I recommend searching for @TurkeySteams channel on you tube. A bunch of videos, small subscriber base but I really dig his laconic style and dry Canadian wit. I have a feeling you'd really gel with what he does based on your style.

Looking forward to you video post.  I will check out TurkeySteam.  For some reason my work doesn't block youtube, so I ended up watching people's playthroughs.  That's what got me into this.  For some reason I haven't found T.S., but probably because of the small base he doesn't come up on searches.  Will check it.  Thx.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

..decided to reupload day2 and day 3 with lowered volume on voice overlay.  Still trying to get the sound mixing right...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/23/2019 at 7:01 AM, DaveMcD said:

Well I'm now about 4 episodes into  my run (trying to keep them to around an hour each) My goal was to record about 6 episodes and put them up as knowing me it will be quite difficult to keep to a regular schedule due to work but I can binge do them from time to time. Will hopefully have them uploading by the end of this weekend and I'll make a post somewhere on the forums about it

In one of my sessions I do talk about my take on carrying meat vs not. Hope it comes across as I intend which is not a criticism of that play style but as a dissection of why I go with my choice. :)

Will keep on with watching what you're getting up to. If you haven't already found his channel I recommend searching for @TurkeySteams channel on you tube. A bunch of videos, small subscriber base but I really dig his laconic style and dry Canadian wit. I have a feeling you'd really gel with what he does based on your style.

Who needs meat when you've got rocks! Thank you for the shout out and I can't wait to watch your videos. Keep surviving bud.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, TurkeySteam said:

Who needs meat when you've got rocks! Thank you for the shout out and I can't wait to watch your videos. Keep surviving bud.

Cheers Turkey. I have about 4 videos uploaded, just not public yet. Was trying to get a bit more organised and make thumbnail frames etc but I might just release them as is in the next day or so. I even have a spectacular fail video from my first attempt where rocks weren't even my friends in Hushed River Valley. I don't quite have your deft touch with rock v wolf, I'm more of a rock v rabbit kinda guy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Launched season 3 with a start in hushed river valley.  With no prior experience in HRV, it was a wicked rush:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Back with another Interloper run.  This time I'm determined to trial-and-error my way out of Hushed River Valley. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now