Why no option to sleep on the floor?

amadeuszbx

I'm just wondering why it is not possible to lay down on the floor and sleep? You could still die if you did not take care for heat etc. Outside you could still be attacked by wildlife (even more likely than in snow shelter) but it should be an option!

Even on the snow as a last resort (and I don't mean snow shelter). They could make it, so sleeping on the floor would not restore condition, restore very little of it, it would burn more calories or some other drawbacks like that, but it at least should be an option!

It's just so stupid when I'm well fed, well hydrated, got maximum condition and a big fire that's going to last 10 hours and gives off +60 degrees Celsius (thanks to coal), and then I still dies of exhaustion cause Will stands there stubborn, refusing to lay down until his goddamn death!

You'd think that after running out of energy the bastard would just collapse from the exhaustion on the floor, pass out there and wake up a bit more rested, right? But this goddamn mutant does not behave like human being and instead just stands there until death does him part.

Goddamn it.

Why do you think it's not possible? You could say balance, but as I said it could have serious drawbacks/none of the benefits of regular sleeping. And yet it should still be allowed as a last resort because it makes no sense to die of exhaustion instead of just passing out and waking up later!

I agree 100%. The minimum drawback should be that it would not heal you. Could also be maybe "only possible in caves", idk... Especially on Interloper, where finding a bedroll becomes so stupidly crucial compared to any real-life situation that we use loot tables...

IDK.  They could ease the situation in Loper somewhat without changing the current mechanic by allowing a single dropped deer hide (fresh or cured) to serve as a makeshift bedroll... allowing the player to lie down and sleep on it without the benefit of healing or a warmth benefit. 

I think even an exhausted person would be inclined to lay something soft like a hide down on a stone cave floor if they had one on them.  Since deer carcasses exist in all difficulty levels and can be harvested without a tool if thawed sufficiently, even Lopers should be able to obtain a hide relatively easily for this purpose.

1 hour ago, Dum_Gen said:

And finally, they are able to fall asleep instantly and sleep in precise hourly intervals.

I'd like to imagine that my character has a wind-up alarm clock (the mechanical type with the little bells) with him, that can be set to ring in one or several hours.

I've also suggested sleeping anywhere in my wishlist with the added negative consequences of lowering the temperature instead of the warming bonus of the sleeping bag and the possibility to wake up with stiffness that will lower the condition for some time. But it should be possible and I think they're gonna make it because of how weird it is to die of exhaustion without a bedroll.

18 hours ago, Dum_Gen said:

Characters are mutants from the real life perspective. They need half a deer/several rabbits to be well fed and are able to eat almost complete rot (5 level cooking). They fight wolves by bare hands. They heal sprains overnight and broken ribs over 12 days (if sleeps 10 hours a day).  They know how to blacksmith and make clothes from hides, but can't sharpen a knife by a stone (not a whetstone) or by a piece of metal.

And finally, they are able to fall asleep instantly and sleep in precise hourly intervals.

Yeah, I know. These all things, however, are just so they could balance out game/allow for some mechanic. Okay, noone would be immediately as successful with making deerpants as our characters are on the first try, but they should be, cause it allows for some basic mechanics to function. With lack of sleeping without bedroll it's just so surreal, more unrealistic in my opinion than the fact that they can blacksmith on the first try or still eat ruined meat with enough cooking level. Its just against basic logic of the supposingly realistic game itself.

On the side note, yeah: whoever needs to eat half a deer a day to survive is indeed a mutant.

One of my biggest wishes for this game... 

I'd suggest making it impossible to be "well rested" without using a bedroll/bed/cot. I'd even suggest it deteriorating your health because of how much it can fuck up an older person's joints, sleeping on a hard surface (or is that just me? I'm so broken...)

Just... let us sleep on floors inside buildings or caves, damn it. Let us do it and let us get cold from it. At least that. Even better, sleeping on sofas and cushy chairs. Damn it, it can't be that hard! Click on the chair, have two choices: break down, sleep. It can't be that hard, code-wise!

*slams fists onto desk*

sorry. I'm hangry.

Well, the reply of the Mr. Director was that we have plenty options to sleep: beds, cars and bedrolls so it's not needed...

Completely missed a point of how silly and pointless it is to not have it, with typical: "We think you are wrong and that's all we have to say."

• 2 weeks later...

I think they should play their own game and go a month or two without finding a bedroll. Maybe then they will see the need for the option.

edit--------------

Maybe the issue is they know their own game too well? For me I will decide not to wander off because I know if I cannot find a bed I will die. Once I find or make a bedroll I am free to explore, but until then it's very risky to me. If you know where all the sleeping locations are you're fine though so yeah.

Archived