Diary of a Stumbling Idiot

Wintersteel

I am really bad at this game. Or maybe I just have astronomically bad luck. Either way, I want to get better. I've been playing regularly for quite a while, but in survival mode, I tend to go back and forth between a complete coward who won't step out of the Camp Office if the wind is blowing just hard enough to rustle the flag slightly, and a raging idiot who will jump off a cliff if it looks like there's a cattail down there and run full tilt at a wolf because I'm "in the mood."

A lot of other players have seemed to find a good balance in the middle of the spectrum, and I'd like to get there too. So I'm gonna use this "diary" here to document my attempts to survive longer than a day or two in various different settings. I would absolutely appreciate critique on my mistakes and advice for the future! So without further ado, let's begin!

Well, he looks pretty dead tired.

screen_23980552-ea24-4602-909c-585a73de3093_hi.thumb.png.31997565e08e041d08317f3d384c9c11.png

Rest in piece, my guy.

Once the sun rose, I explored all three trailers and found two pairs of jeans, some reclaimed wood, and an energy bar. Now I've made my way to the Camp Office. I think I might be able to hit some fishing cabins today.

I also think I've made this way too easy.

I have embarrassingly poor map knowledge, considering how long I've played this game. And you're right, I definitely need to do that. I always forget that function exists.

Yeah, I think I'm gonna ditch this one and do that. I definitely made this one way too easy. Weather was beautiful for about two days and I found awesome clothes. Super boring. XD

15 minutes ago, Wintersteel said:

Weather was beautiful for about two days and I found awesome clothes.

It's gonna happen all the same on Voyageur to be honest, but I still think it's a balanced game for improving and getting good gameplay. But if you want to try Stalker or Interloper, don't refrain yourself :D

You're probably right; I can't remember the number of Stalker/Interloper games I've jumped into and promptly died in because I just don't have enough experience. It's nothing short of a miracle that I've managed to survive 31 days on my longest Voyageur save. I should probably just stick to Voyageur and hone my skills for the time being. Thank you for your advice! :D

Set some fun goals!  That's what is great about this game is that you can customize it to your play-style.  If you don't mind dying after 31 days, keep doing Voy, otherwise go with a simpler setting.  If it's boring finding too many clothes, adjust that setting.

6 hours ago, hozz1235 said:

Set some fun goals!  That's what is great about this game is that you can customize it to your play-style.  If you don't mind dying after 31 days, keep doing Voy, otherwise go with a simpler setting.  If it's boring finding too many clothes, adjust that setting.

Setting goals is exactly what I was thinking of doing, to make a little more interesting and entertaining! Thank you for the suggestions!

I've now started a new Voy save, and I'm having fun. It's probably right at my current skill level, and I'm going to use this opportunity to learn.

One quick question I have: which is better, Insulated Boots or Trail Boots? Insulated Boots are much heavier and slow me down considerably, but are also warmer. Trail Boots are lighter and not as warm, and also offer more protection.

6 minutes ago, Wintersteel said:

I am always overweighted. XD

After you get eaten a few times, you'll learn it's better to have 10 less sticks, and be alive :D. You'll have more headache figuring out clothing slots that have 2 spots, or the torso that is 4 spots, with inner and outer layers... Hint: wolves detect you better when you're overweighted.

Archived