Learn one map or try new ones?

GeordieJedi

I guess everyone has a different approach to this question. Some like to get comortable in an area first, and some like to roam around to see as much as possible of the world and take more risks.

I stayed in ML a couple of weeks, then went to look for the forge in Forlorn Muskeg. The rail tracks give a good orientation, and it's almost plain, so it's hard to get lost. However it has other challenges :)

From there I went to see Broken Railroad and I think I had a couple of weeks in game (pilgrim) after I decided I am ready to explore Coastal Highway, where I stayed at the coast line for the start. I started other saves where I decided to expolre specifically one map (like Timber Wolf Mountain or Hushed River Valley). Tried Interloper instead of Pilgrim until I've made it through almost 48 hrs :D (I didn't know Pleasant Valely then).

So I'd say there's no "best approach", everyone has to decide what's best for him/her.

I had a similar experience like @atomic I started out in my first play thru settling in ML as I was familiar with it from the story line. I then ventured to FM and BR. Once I had looted everything and made some good animal skin cloths I went on my trek to find a Moose. I thought at the time, didn't want to look it up and spoil it, that a Moose would be found in TMW. I did find out there and also fell in love with the area! I never went back to ML even though I had a bunch of supplies there; I lived off of hunting and fishing at TMW. I had to venture down once to load up on cloth from PV as well as went to the forge in DP for arrow heads. But all in all it is up to you and how you want to play. I found the change of pace in a new area exciting and fun.

I prefer exploring thoroughly a map before moving, unless I have a plan (which usually is "find a forge"). Once I'm done with a map (looting and gathering) I consider moving, setting up a base with spare stuff near the transition in case I need to reteat.

What I mean by "exploring" is just learning the main routes and waypoints to avoid getting lost, and gathering useful stuff and shiny things, not mapping every inch of the region.

Welcome to the forums, @GeordieJedi!

What's great about this game is you set your own goals and pace.  My advice:  stay in ML until you feel the need/want to move on!  This could be resources running out or just the desire to explore someplace new.  I would recommend learning the "difficulty" of each zone (esp if you're new to the game) and follow the natural difficulty transition (i.e. don't jump from ML to PV to TWM).

Archived