Survival Co-op

TheBocaDillo

I was all for co-op. I think thats mainly because the game is great and you naturally want to share great stuff with friends. But I have come to see that co-op doesn't fit the experience in TLD. There's various aspects key to the game that co-op diminishes too much. Perhaps the most practical is that, even if you make all the mechanics work, you then have a game designed to challenge one person's time management, played by two - i.e. twice the time. So with two one can hunt while the other gathers. Two would be so much more efficient that you'd reach the end game (completely stable survival) a lot faster. So keep longing for company (immersion!) but try to be content with sharing your adventures here (and on you-tube, etc).

Hinterland has stated that multiplayer will not be implemented. I believe this is a good thing

1) the long dark experience is based on being alone in a deserted world, it gets that feeling of hopelessness that many people of this community love, and it gets even better if you survive the ordeal that caused mishaps. 

2) the human element,  if multiplayer was released (non co-op) then the players will act like your standard human, trolling around, internationaly getting you in danger, causing emersion brakers. Even when it was on pure CO-OP it would still cause massive emersion brakers, for example: got in a tricky situation and now your stuck with out food or water, dont worry your buddy will give you some. Considering that you in early game can carry a total of 60kg unencumbered, one person can be used as a fridge. 

3) It would cause many problems with the programing. To make CO-OP viable would need to add: full character models and animations, net coding, a communication system, enough supplies for both people, a more advanced animal AI and many other things (im not a game developer, but i know the hell that is multiplayer games). Also keep in mind that hinterland is a small company with a small part as programmers, this is not a triple A studio, it is not that easy to basically remake the game from ground up. 

Believe it would be nice, but doesn't fit with TLD design. It would require a new to make CO-OP a thing 

Archived