Episode 3?

Erlend

They just picked up some experienced game devs when Capcom Vancouver folded last September. ISTR that Raph mentioned they got some motion capture stuff from the Capcom distress sale too. While there's no doubt that there'll be some ramp up time for new developers, I'd expect that it won't be very long before you start seeing more production from them. It's not like they're going to keep those folks idle while paying them a salary. 

12 hours ago, Dum_Gen said:

I think that you are too optimistic. If Hinterland releases episode 3 in 2019 it would be a wonder. 

It took 16+ month to make a redux. Even if they started to make episode 3 before redux, they will have to redo it as well.

Besides, almost 2 months after release of redux - still no bearspear in survival mode and no info if the spear would help to fight wolves.

So I forecast only a minor addition or change of survival mode, like they did with cooking process (By minor I mean not efforts  that they need to make but an effect on the game as a whole), maybe crafting will be next. Next episode will be around Jan-Feb 2020.

The devs were working on episode 3 and redux at the same time. I don't think they had to finish the redux to be able to apply their improvements to episode 3.
They originally announced episode 3 for December, I don't think they would have done that if they hadn't made considerable progress on it.
I know it may be a bit optimistic to believe that this was the sole reason, but according to Hinterland, episode 3 was delayed because they got new new equipment and staff and wanted to use them to improve and add more content to episode 3. I'm pretty sure if they wanted to, they could have released episode 3 at the quality level of the redux by now.

Wintermute is supposed to be a "Season" of episodes. You can't release one episode every year and call it a Season. I think 3-4 months between episodes is about right. Six months would be pushing the limit. Otherwise, people will forget what was going on in the story and lose interest.

We haven't announced anything in regards to when we'll be releasing Episode 3, or any of the other episodes. 

One of the things we've learned is that setting public dates is a good way to disappoint the community and we would rather focus on ensuring that Episode 3 (as well as 4 and 5) is released at the highest quality possible than hit a self-imposed deadline. So until we are very close to being able to release updates to the game, we won't be providing definitive dates.

We understand that players have been patient and want to continue to experience WINTERMUTE and we thank you all for your patience as we work to bring you the best possible version of The Long Dark.

16 hours ago, admin said:

One of the things we've learned is that setting public dates is a good way to disappoint the community and we would rather focus on ensuring that Episode 3 (as well as 4 and 5) is released at the highest quality possible than hit a self-imposed deadline. So until we are very close to being able to release updates to the game, we won't be providing definitive dates.

Understandable, but could you maybe get closer to a season, or first half the year, second half of the year, something like that :)

On 2/13/2019 at 1:34 PM, admin said:

We haven't announced anything in regards to when we'll be releasing Episode 3, or any of the other episodes. 

We understand that players have been patient and want to continue to experience WINTERMUTE and we thank you all for your patience as we work to bring you the best possible version of The Long Dark.

This might sound completely ridiculous and probably not in the least bit comparable, but as someone who is an aspiring animator and understands how painstakingly complicated and tedious the process of creation can be, I for one completely understand your decision to withhold a release date/deadline from the community. Sadly, many people don't seem to understand the length of time it takes to create something as vast and beautiful as The Long Dark. I wish people would extend a little more grace.

I can't express how much I appreciate the amazing amount of work you all have put into creating this beautiful, immersive experience known as The Long Dark. Good on ya, mates. Good on ya.

On 13.2.2019 at 8:34 PM, admin said:

But is it possible to say if Episode 3 will be realised before 2020? or is it impossible to promise anything?

@admin

Don't expect quality software if you have a deathline.

I would like to see the remaining episodes released sooner than later, but i love this game and I prefer they spend all the time they need. Just look at Redux version of episodes 1 & 2 as example, they have much much better quality and fun. Play survival in the meantime and do not overwhelm developers :D

On 2/13/2019 at 9:34 PM, admin said:

One of the things we've learned is that setting public dates is a good way to disappoint the community

There are many who have complete faith in Hinterland devs. They haven't disappointed. However long it takes to complete Wintermute, we're sticking around for it.  

Guest kristaok
On 2/14/2019 at 3:01 AM, Dum_Gen said:

Well, you don't disappoint the community, when you set public dates. You disappoint when you don't meet these deadlines. As a result people become sceptic about your announcements. You reap what you sow.

Harsh. 

Yea I'd like to see more updates, but I've learned to be patient. I'd much rather exercise patience and see a really well done update, than to end up with something rushed. 

• 3 weeks later...

To be fair, if a company says that they will release a product in a couple of months, but it takes a year or more before it’s released, then it’s the company’s fault for not being organized and not having a clue as to what they’re saying. This is not to excuse the studio’s poor decision making in the past, but it’s good that they’ve learned and are now no longer releasing dates; dates that weren’t even being followed anyways. 

Wintermute has taken longer to make then it should have, and considering how this project started 6 years ago this is pretty bad- anyone could say “They are making the game better and so we should be patient” but there’s a certain limit between delivering a quality product and taking years off continuously delaying the final product. 

But whatever, right? People on these forums will desperately cry for patience, even though we won’t get Episode 5 until at least 2021. Delay after delay simply in the name of “quality”- sure why not....

it's probably going to be a long long time. in june we we told that ep3 was taking place in a new region and would come out in december. but now we're being told it's taking place only in pleasant valley and they're re-evaluating the scope.  it's safe to say whatever work they had done on episode 3 for the new region was completely scrapped, and they're essentially starting from scratch. they also said that they'll be going back and redoing parts of episode 2 yet again. in all honesty, if episode 3 is released in 2019 I would be quite surprised.

2 hours ago, earthy said:

they also said that they'll be going back and redoing parts of episode 2 yet again.

Oh, I did not know that. Is there any more information on this? Bigger changes or more like fine tunig?

I did not start Redux yet, kinda wanted to wait to do that somewhat close to the relase of episode 3 but since there still isn’t a date in sight I might just play 1 and 2 at some point.

5 hours ago, JBS said:

Oh, I did not know that. Is there any more information on this? Bigger changes or more like fine tunig?

I did not start Redux yet, kinda wanted to wait to do that somewhat close to the relase of episode 3 but since there still isn’t a date in sight I might just play 1 and 2 at some point.

Just some fine tuning specifically only on the final bear hunt AFAIK.

Also I think Episode 3 is much closer to release than anyone realizes...but I'm pretty certain we'll get the mentioned Sandbox Update first.

Archived