Well Fed Healing

Ice Hole

The new Well Fed bonus is another great addition to the Long Dark.  The 5% health bonus and 5 kg carry boost kicks after 72 hours of being above zero calories.  The health bonus does go above to 105%.  The bonus to health and carry does go away as soon as the calories dip to zero.  The wish is to have the health bonus be persistent.  The idea is to reward the player for keeping fed and offer an additional way to heal other than a health stim pen.  Keep health from dropping back other than if at 105% .  So whatever the maximum health the character has the health bonus is persistent within that range.  This idea came about from me playing with no condition recovery where healing is almost non existent. 

Another change could be to the amount the character heals.  The healing increases slightly for every 72 hours spent well fed.  After 144 hours the healing is 6%, after 216 hours 7% and so on up 432 hours where it caps at 10% every 72 hours.  The health bonus would always be capped at the 105% currently this is just for healing.  This method of health recovery using food would be a very good reason to sustain Well Fed for weeks.

Personally, I like it the way it is.  My well fed bonus comes and goes, and it's usually due to my own stupidity when it does (not due to a lack of available food since I'm mostly playing on lower difficulties).  I think the player should accept the loss of the buffs when they mess up.  They only need to run for another 72- hours to get it back again, so the penalty is really not that onerous.  Lopers might feel differently about it.

If anything, they could perhaps put an option in for making the buff permanent in the custom settings.  Since deadman is a custom game anyways, the people who play it could then decide for themselves whether or not it makes a big difference for them.

1 hour ago, UpUpAway95 said:

My well fed bonus comes and goes

Lossing the buff is done well, I agree.  The extra carry weight does come in handy but usually do not fret about losing the buff after I have moved my gear to another region.

The goal of Well Fed Healing was to implement this into the main game as deadman are not part of the average player group.  The Well Fed healing bonus would be a reason to continue the feast for longer than a couple weeks.  WF Healing does not go beyond the standard 100% and does not heal frostbite.  Think of it as a health stim pen done natures way.

If you sustain the WF Healing than you can push your character further.  With WF Healing you can quickly get back into action every three days.  The extra healing would be something all players would enjoy to achieve.

Archived