Hurricane Lantern

galadhlinn

This may have been suggested before, but I didn't see this particular suggestion in search.  I know there have been many suggestions and discussions about candles since the earliest days of this game.  I too would like to see candles implemented at some point, as it gives us more to do and work for.  But I would like to make a different suggestion: the hurricane lamp.  This lamp has a wick, requires a match (or a lit stick) and burns oil.  If you are not familiar with these lamps, look them up.  I have lived in the woods remotely for almost 40 years (two years without power).  Power outages are a fact of life and frequent in the winter (4-6 times each year from an hour to 2-3 days).  Yes, I have 5 gallon propane bottles and a propane lantern that works great.  It hooks up to a "tree" that also feeds my propane stove.  But this cannot put light everywhere I need it in the house, and having it hooked to the tree means it is not portable.  I have three hurricane lanterns that I have in several other parts of the house.  They take about half a quart (.47 liters) to fill a lantern and will provide light for about five nights running it four hours each night set on low.  This is still light enough to read by, move about and get things done.  It is much less light than my propane light puts out, but it is extremely efficient and long lasting.  They also run on rendered animal fat.

Suggestion:

Have three of these lanterns drop in the game.  The locations should be in advanced zones such as the Spence Family Homestead, the Mysterious Signal fire in Hushed River Valley, and the top of Timberwolf Mountain.  Each site progressively harder to get to spreading them out in the game.

They should only work indoors or in caves.

The wicks can be replaced through crafting them.

There is a small chance you can drop them while carrying them lit with a chance they will break if you do.  Once broken, they are ruined.

Can be a option you check in Interloper (getting all three could also be an achievement)

Having these would provide more of a challenge  (getting them), more things to work for (crafting wicks and cooking fuel) and provide the ability to mend and read in the later game.  Not being able to read a book or mend a pair of socks while making potable water or cooking a big bear steak doesn't feel right.  Using the current lamp is not practical due to it's heavy consumption of oil (which is fine).  None of us planning on the long survive will use up our oil in this way.  For those who choose to, a hurricane lamp would provide a small quality of life improvement earned from many days spent surviving in a harsh environment.

-G

We already have a hurricane lantern. It's just that it's got an automatic igniter in it. What the OP is really asking for is for it to be much more efficient (like it is in real life, vs. what it's like in the game). I don't think that's too likely, as it would make it entirely possible to have endless light while anywhere near a fishing hut.

16 minutes ago, stratvox said:

We already have a hurricane lantern. It's just that it's got an automatic igniter in it. What the OP is really asking for is for it to be much more efficient (like it is in real life, vs. what it's like in the game). I don't think that's too likely, as it would make it entirely possible to have endless light while anywhere near a fishing hut.

They could balance that, if necessary, by reducing the amount of fuel the fish provide and lowering the amounts that the jerry can contain when found.  The benefit would be reducing the overall weight in fuel that the player would have to carry around in order to refill the lantern if, say, exploring caves in HRV.

Archived