Bjorn the Berserker

cullam

A new challenge, that I have no idea if will be feasible. The rules: 
Bjorn is a mighty warrior, and refuses to wear clothes made of sissy fabrics. Animal skins only! 
Bjorn is of a strong body and mind, and only eats of the flesh. 
Bjorn has ridden to Valhalla and back, and will feast on all meats RAW. 

Baseline stalker difficulty, with hunger turned down to medium, parasites off, and weather getting much colder over time. 
8lnY-lmpa-KBqN-JCyG-LgEA
Feats: Snow Walker, Free Runner,  Cold Fusion and Efficient Machine. 

Various teas and coffee are allowed, for their effects.If this turns out to be doable, then the next version will probably be to never sleep in beds. But I have no idea if the constant food poisoning will simply kill me before I can recover. Let's find out! 

Bjorn the First: day 1

Bjorn returns from Valhalla and finds himself in the Valley of the Hushed River. Fortunately, his is right by the cave that will lead him away from this desolate place. But as he turns, he pauses. Such a cowardly move is not befitting a mighty warrior! He should at least push forward to adventure, a little. He rips off his feeble rags, and throws the disgusting candy bar on the ground. Bjorn will meet this thickening weather like a true viking! 

Down the path to the left, and along the cliff side, he spies a camp that will surely be a good place for him to shelter! But he shall not go there yet. He must push forward, until his strength leaves him. Making it along to the glorious view of above the lake, the cold has already chilled him to the bone. He must make for the camp already, then move on to fairer lands. 

But what fortune is this?? 

This campsite contains not only some wood, matches, and a proper pot for water, but also a bow and two arrows! Bjorn will surely find supper this day! The snow shelter is not warm enough, so he sets a fire on his second try. In his excitement, he forgets to put a pot of water on, while he takes a quick nap. 

Bjorn awakens to a cold fire, but partially warmed. The time has come to leave this place. Rabbits taunt his terrible aim with a stone - he has not played such games since he was a lad in Vinland. Already freezing, he steps into the cave, leading to the village of Milton. It is just below freezing. Lighting a fire, he boils some water, and takes 3 torches with him to light his way. There is fine shelter on the other side, and even hunting grounds! Before coming to this first trailer, he even finally catches a lucky break with a stone! The bunny's neck crunches satisfyingly. This shelter is too cold to work in, so Bjorn must take yet another nap, before he can harvest his lunch. 

15 hours ago, cullam said:

A new challenge, that I have no idea if will be feasible

It seems just like a race to Cooking5: find a rifle, kill game (anyway you need guts and pelts), cook it until you get to Cook5, done. Quite challenging I think

The loper variation (no rifle/no knife/no cattails) could also be funny.

In the spirit of the challenge, I'm not going to be cooking the meats, at all. My only cooking will be drinks. The idea is to survive, with near chronic food poisoning. Which is why I have no idea if it's doable! I'm not sufficiently sure on the sleeping with food poisoning mechanics. But I'm about to find out! 

Bjorn the First, Day 1

Having partially warmed up, Bjorn steps back out into the frozen world. Night is coming fast. He could eat his rabbit, but it would seem wiser to find a heartier meal. A deer grazes in the distance. He wonders if he might scare it towards wolf country? The beast runs for a bit, but then veers off. Curses! Bjorn shall retire to his shelter. 

But lo! A wolf has followed the deer, and is feasting upon him, not too far from Bjorn's stay! Readying an arrow, Bjorn lets fly, and both beasts are slain. Building a fire, water is boiled, a wolf skin is taken, and a dear steak is cut. With eyelids that refuse to stay open, Bjorn crawls back to his camp. Now is the time. Bjorn will eat his prize, then accept his fate. He gobbles down the uncooked deer flesh... 

Fool, fool, king of the fools! 

Bjorn was too eager, to brave, too foolish. Upon eating, he discovered that he was carrying none of the correct remedies. He ran into the night, in search of a piteous salvation, but the cold was too strong, and the universe shall not suffer fools. He rides back to Valhalla. In his next life, he shall return hardened. Wiser, without the eagerness of naive youth. 

Bjorn the Second: 

Awakens in the marshlands. This is no place for a viking to stay while running around naked. The poachers camp is up ahead, so it's time to hope for some coal, then find real shelter. After a quick nap and boil up, including preparing some precious mushrooms, Bjorn is ready to move on. But hark! The cawing of the crows signals that there might be something to eat near by! And if Bjorn wishes to eventually cover his manhood, he must acquire skins as soon as he may. Half a matchbook is wasted, trying to light a fire by this deer. Clearly, Bjorn must remember to always bring torches with him from his fires. Eventually, Bjorn heads towards the Lake of Mysteries, baring his stinky prizes. But he cannot eat them yet, as he has not yet found a good shelter to ride out the night terrors in. He simply must accept that makes the call of the wolf. 

Crossing through he tunnel, Bjorn makes haste towards the Cabin of the Trapper. It's freezing cold, and his wellness in plummeting, but he makes it. Wolves may have been following, but Bjorn was too quick on his feet! The homely air of the Cabin greets him warmly. Much of the spoils of the cabin are useless clothes and food, but two key items stand out: a rifle, and a snare. Bjorn quickly deploys his rabbit catcher, then comes back inside to warm himself. No wanting to waste matches, he takes three trips to completely harvest the deer under the barn, returning to the cabin regularly to warm up. Night is falling, and it's time for Bjorn to do what he's come to do. 

He takes a fresh slab of deer meat. This will make him mighty, or kill him again... 

The pain stabs him in the stomach. It is terrible to bare, but the big viking pushes through. Drinking from his water skin, he takes two pills found in the cabin, and crawls into his bed. After 10 hours of night terrors, and one hour of peaceful rest, he awakens. 

While he is reasonably rested, and his belly is becalmed, he has recovered from none of the hardships of yesterday, and his stomach is already starting to growl. He checks his trap, and skins a cony in the shelter of his cabin. Taking a 2 hour nap to recover what he can on the last drops of yesterday's meal, he considers his next move. Food is needed, and there's only one kind available. He must maintain his daily supply of medicine (3 doses remain). Matches are still quite few. His weapon only contains two rounds. And he's still a naked warrior. The first night has been passed, but there are many more ahead! 

14 hours ago, cullam said:

In the spirit of the challenge, I'm not going to be cooking the meats, at all. My only cooking will be drinks.

Ouch, good luck! I think while poisoned you can sleep everything you want (for clearing the condition) but not heal. So I bet you'll have to eat enough food in order to fill your stomach, sleep enough to just barely not clear the poison (9h?), rebuild Rest again (thanks to poison), then sleep again 1h to clear the condition, then sleep for healing. You'll be sleeping a lot, sounds like a Snow White challenge. Sleeping a lot, poisoned food, I wonder what Bjork princess would look like :D

I might have to try that strategy. Although I managed to handle things a little better as I continued playing last night. 

Bjorn the Second: Day 2

First and foremost, a reliable supply of meat must be uncovered! Bjorn ventures over the hill into wolf territory. He is looking for a deer and a wolf, hoping to make friends of them. He spies his quary, and successfully places them together, but not all is right. Their carcasses remain on a hill, far too steep for a fire. Not too far away, however, lies another deer. Bjorn starts a fire by it, boils water and saws away the meat, while waiting for it to accept his offering of fine coal. With the fire warm enough to heat him, he throws in an extra log, and runs back to his prey. He saws meat while carefully watching his warmth, then runs back to the fire. He is able to skin the other deer, while he warms up. A proper blade would be of great use! After a few trips, he has removed all of the meat, but has not been able to remove the skins of the deer/wolf pair. Hopefully, he can come back later, but for now, it is getting late, and while he is not too far from home, he will be heavily burdened with odoriferous meals. He gathers up his days work, and trudges back home. 

In the shelter of his shack, the time for a crucial experiment has come. If one piece of deer only gives him the strength to sleep through his night terrors, with just a little left in the morning, he must consume more. But, will more meats require more medicine? Bjorn simply doesn't know. (And Cullam has never had occasion to stack multiple food poisonings in the game) 

Bjorn eats his fill, crying in agony with each fresh bite. Each time, a new afflictions takes hold of him. But once he can eat no more, only a single case of poison remains. Huzzah! Bjorn takes his medicine, drinks his fill, and tumbles into bed. Tomorrow will be a good day. 

(As this isn't Interloper based, I'm not going to mention every random piece of useful loot. No-one needs to read about every tool box and flare. And it's not like I'd accurately remember them by the time I write down Bjorn's saga anyway!)

Bjorn the Second: Day 3

Bjorn wakes from his night terrors with a still fairly full stomach. He brings another rabbit in from the trap, and processes it. He then takes a nap to recover a little condition while waiting for the warmth of the day. Today is a day of acquisition! 

He passes his handiwork of yesterday, but cannot stop to collect skins now. Heading towards the mountains, he climbs up to the great watchtower. Extra rifle, canned food, clothes... bah! Such trinkets are useless! He crawls back down the mountain, and misses his step, injuring both his wrist and ankle. But since there are no wolves about, he hobbles to the train cars. There is nothing of any great relevance. To the Warleader;s camp, he must go! 

He stumbles into the Great Camp House. Ah, here is an item of great use! He may not wear a stitch of clothing, but now that he has an axe, this viking shall ne'er feel naked! Pots and cans, pots and cans. But also three rounds for his mighty thunder stick! There is also a box of matches, and a sun stone. This will make fires somewhat more available. He reads a book on the careful preparation of potions, maintains his weapons, then sleeps through his maladies. He will awaken hungry, but it is no matter. He will still be stronger than he was when he went to rest. 

Day 4

Today, Bjorn will cross the ice. He has enough rabbit and deer skins at his home camp to make some clothing, once it cures. So now is a time to sweep the area, for more treasures. Perhaps medicines will make themselves apparent! He only has two doses left, but not eating last night has extended his supply for a day. Venturing forth, he eyes the fishing huts. His lines are limited, but the thought is tempting. Some fish are a veritable feast! But now is not the time. He has bounty awaiting him at home, once he finishes his search. 

One fishing hut contains a true treasure: a knife! This will greatly enhance Bjorn's ability to gather hides and entrails in the freezing cold! Speaking of cold, it's bloody freezing out! Bjorn must make haste to the huts across the lake. Some wood and supplies are acquired, but nothing of great note. He must stop and warm up in each cabin, as the cold is brutal. Even indoors, only curled up in a bunk can he gain any warmth. One of the trunks contains a Coat of the Adventurous Expedition! Bjorn sacrifices it to Odin, and moves on. 

Reaching the last of the lake huts, no new dosage of medicine has appeared. That's not a problem yet, but is still troubling. Trying to head back to the Great Camp House, he must sneak around a mighty bear! While the thought of besting the beast in combat is tempting, Bjorn stays his hand. Now is not the time. Wolves crawl the lake, and night is fast approaching. Perhaps Bjorn should make camp on this side. 

His health has taken some knocks, but starting the previous day in fine form, and taking warming breaks in most the huts, has kept him in reasonable shape. He is a mighty viking a berserker, and can manage another night unfed. He drinks his fill, and sleeps in a hut. 

Day 5

Bjorn wakes with his head feeling groggy. Two days without food is taking its toll. Clearly, it's time to head home. 

Too burdened with wood and tools, and random finds, he carefully makes his way up the hill, ignoring the rope. He's already freezing by the time he reaches the cave atop the hill. He starts a fire, but it's still too cold. He will need to offer a sacrifice of coal. He boils water while waiting for the warmth to take him. His health is definitely in need of attention. But as he makes his way home, all it gets is the attention of a wolf! Armed with an axe though he may be, now is not a time to take risks. Too late to shoot the beast, he cracks one of his magic charms. It holds it at bay, until eventually an elk distracts it. Upon entering his home, Bjorns health is in some jeopardy. It's not yet night, but needs must. Bjorn fills his belly with the flesh of beasts, takes his potion, and descends back into nightmares... 

Dayish 6

Bjorn awakes in the middle of the night. His head is sharp and clear, with the weight of a full stomach. He examines the animal parts strewn around the ground. Yes, things are almost ready. With the daylight, he should be able to start his work. He checks his rabbit trap, disembowels the creature, and sets a fire. His water skin is flaccid, and he'll need to sleep some more to regain his strength for the new day. He sleeps until past dawn, then gets to work! It is nearly nightfall when his beautiful hat is complete. There is no greater fashion for a warrior than to wear the skull of his enemy upon his crown! (even if his enemy is a fluffy bunny)

Bjorn starts to work on his elk boots. 

*thunk*

What foolery is this?!? 4 sewing kits sitting next to him in a backpack, and Bjorn has wasted his time sewing with a fishhook! Gathering one of the kits, he makes more progress on his boots. When night falls, he goes to sleep, unfed. 

Day 7

Bjorn finishes his boots. Yes, trudging through the endless snows will be a less daunting task now! But his stomach is empty, and he has only one potion left. He must not delay; today he seeks a shortcut to mushrooms. 

Making for the small lake, there are wolves everywhere, and a bear. Bjorn picks up a bow without arrow, but also 6 mushrooms! Three more bouts of nightmares to be had. This will be crucial priority, as Bjorn will need his potions to stay alive. He must carefully sweep everywhere he roams for these precious fungi. Since he's still in good shape, and has acquired his precious potion ingredients, he is feeling bold. Taking aim, his thunderstaff roars at the bare of the pond. The beast runs over the hill. Bjorn will not make chase with the weather worsening, but hope to find it this afternoon. He pushes on to the nearby hut, but finds little of use besides books to burn. He warms himself, and turns back to the pond. The bear is wandering lazily, so Bjorn sneaks by and heads home. He brews his potions, eats his fill, and returns to his vivid dreams of horror. 

Bjorn the Second: Day 8

Soon, Bjorn must leave this land, for fresh crops of mushrooms. First, he must cull every dose he can from this forest. Mushroons are life. 

He makes his way northward, as surely with so many stumps, they must be somewhere. Seeking uphill for supply bunkers, he finds nothing. He would love to climb the mountain, but a blizzard hits, so he has no choice but to run for the logging camp trailers. Catching a nap to warm up and pass the storm, he heads for the dam. 

This garish modern monstrosity holds few treasures for a viking. So he carves up the dear outside, then backtracks to gather another. Leaving these animal parts to cure here may be an excellent move. Mayhaps Bjorn can fashion some fashionable pants as he leaves this place! He sleeps without a meal, in one of the nearby trailers. 

Day 9: 

Bjorn sojourns back towards the lake. Crossing the hunters blind, he sees a wolf attack a deer. If Bjorn wishes to not remain mostly naked, such opportunities should not be ignored! He slays the beast, then starts a fire by another deer: the fresh kill is on too steep a slope to light a fire. But soon, a blizzard encroaches. After two days without food, Bjorn's health is in dire straits. And he grows too weary to make real haste. Shooting himself up with one of the shots he found at the dam, he runs as fast as he can towards the Great Camp House. Growls permiate the foggy night, but little by little, he makes his way to his goal, and collapses into bed. He shall not heal this night. 

Day 10: 

Bjorn wakes with a knife in his stomach. Today, he must eat. He carefully crosses the lake, and checks the slop above the blind for hidden treasures. Alas, there are none. Dropping back into the valley, he starts a fire as close as he can to the pair of bodies. This fire may not warm him while he works but at least he may take respite by it. Running back and fourth, he takes both hides, and a glorious supply of meat. The lake trail will be too full of wolves, so he runs back to the dam trailers. This day has been well spent. Filling his belly, he takes his potion, and goes to sleep. 

This is a fantastic read. Great literary style with a new and ingenious challenge. I am a bit concerned about how long the mushrooms will last, but if you can get your clothes in order there are a few maps (like TM) that have piles of shrooms. Good luck!

Bjorn's precarious sleep schedule has caused my logging of days to be somewhat inaccurate. Turns out that I'm waking up on day 15 from my previous adventure. Clearly, I'll have to take more careful notes as I play. 

Bjorn the Second, Day 14 (apparently):

Bjorn has decided to experiment. Instead of passing out for a solid 11 hours, he goes for 9. When he awakens, it is still the middle of the night. He passes time an hour, to see how tired he becomes. But ye gods the penalty is stiff! His life is plunging as if he were shouting into the blizzard! He manages to become half tired, but his health has gotten dangerously low. He goes back to sleep, for as long as he can. 

Still two hours to dawn. As there is still bounty in his stomach, he passes the time for an hour playing the viking knots game, then sleeps for one more hour. As dawn approaches, his health is getting to near full, as his stomach approaches near emptiness. He has 10 doses remaining, so is in no rush. But he must still gather them at every opportunity! There are not likely to be many more in this place. He is also out of water, and has meagre firewood supplies. Job number one is to gather wood, and get some water. Then he should make careful note of exactly how many hides he has curing, so he may plan his next projects, and his move out of this place. As the sun hints in the East, Bjorn leaves his trailer for the dam. It is nearby, will have hides he must count, and vast supplies of lumber. 

Bjorn the Second, Day 15: 

Arriving in the Dam, Bjorn checks his deer skins. There are two curing, with a few days to go. He breaks up a crate in the dim light, and gather a litre of water from a locker.  That still leave an emergency litre here, so he can go on without starting his fire. Crossing back towards the Great Camp house, he is freezing by the time he reaches the quite clearing. A wolf guards the path, so he must sneak around. The lake is lousy with the creatures! He picks a path that seems safe enough, and runs as his life depended upon it! Barging into the great house, it is not yet midday, but Bjorn is already quite tired. Running on an empty stomach does not a strong warrior make! As he has the trapper's hut yet to reach, he sleeps for three hours, to ease his weariness, and to let frostbite clear from his tired skin. 

This place contains another deer skin, and a wolf's hide. Such things are still quite rare, as Bjorn has had limited opportunity to skin the beasts. It seems a coat will be a long way off, with only 6 rounds remaining. He has a poor bow that he found, an arrow, and the makings of another though, so perhaps he should start deliberately stalking the beasts soon. For now, he makes his way home to his beloved cottage. 

This time, he takes the path through the clearing, by the burned out hut. It is unguarded, and by Odin's beard, there are 8 mushrooms! That 4 more nights of terrors to survive, but it's 4 more nights survived! Continuing along, he finds a rabbit, so bold as to let Bjorn walk right up to it! But curse his errors, he has not taken a rock with him. By the time he finds one, the critter has come to their senses, and Bjorn is shivering mightily as he snaps its neck. He proceeds on to his home, resetting the empty trap behind. Tearing his kill apart as he warms up, he retreats back outside. Another stoned rabbit would not go amiss! But the wise rabbits are not to be found, so he retires. 

There is one deer hide, and three rabbit skins in this place. If he can trap another during the night, then he'll eventually have enough to protect his hands from the bitter winter. Night is falling, and Bjorn's day has left him with half of his health. He should have enough time to sleep in tomorrow, and retrieve most of it. He fills his belly with the rancid meat that waits outside, and then realizes that he's made a mistake... 

The water ration he took this morn is near gone! Certainly he can make more, but he's already downed his supper! Bjorn drinks his potion (13 doses remain) to help with the pain, then sets a fire. He gives it enough fuel for two hours, and sets two pots boiling upon it. He tumbles into bed for two hours, then retrieves the glorious water. This error was easily rectified, but Bjorn must be more careful. Such foolish acts can easily get a mighty warrior killed. He drinks thirstily, and sleeps through the night. In the pre-dawn, he finds another rabbit in his snare, and skins it. He sharpens his blades and repairs his saw, then tumbles back into bed, to heal. Waking in the afternoon, much of the day has passed, but there is still more to do! Perhaps he will investigate the tunnel to Milton... 

Bjorn the Second, Day 16: 

It is a blustery afternoon when Bjorn steps out of his home. He quickly trots to the nearby tunnel. He is able to make his way through in the dark, although he only finds a few coal. The rest likely escaped his view. Coming through the other side, it is a balmy felt temp of 4 degrees! He goes his way down into the valley, and quickly snaps a coney. It doesn't have enough meat on it to justify an evening of nightmares, so he processes it in the cave, and leaves all of it for later. This cave is bountiful with coal; far more than Bjorn may carry up the rope! He sheds weight down to 30KGs, and continues. 

Carefully looking for the wolf, but seeing none, he darts around a nearby hill. 6 more mushrooms go in his potion sack! As he still has half of his wakefulness, he sheds sticks to make up for the mushrooms, and climbs the rope. Full darkness is descending as he reaches the top, so he proceeds into the open watchsite. It still feels like 2 degrees in here, and with the warmth of the bed, Bjorn takes 3 hours to sleep. He still has a little left in his belly, so this will even heal him! 

When he wakes, his stomach is empty again, but his health in fine form, with only a minor dent. But the wind is picking up, and he doubts that it will remain warm enough to sleep through the night. He lights a torch to start a fire, then puts on a pot of water. Giving the fire fuel for a little over an hour, and enough warmth to sleep again, he rests a while. He startles awake into a full blizzard! While his supplies are not ample, he is able to put on enough wood for two more hours, and the elongated burn rate should stretch that. He sleeps only two hours, just in case. But when he wakens with a full hour remaining, he sleeps another. 

The blizzard passes, but Bjorn is wary to go back to bed. Only 20 minutes on his fire remain, and while it feels like 11, his fire is producing 23 of that. Math might not seem the obvious skill for a viking, but as great sailors and traders, many are surprisingly competent! He sacrifices one of his coal to the stove, and sleeps two more hours. When he wakes, he is just starting to be chilled by the dead fire, but the sun has risen. It's time to travel again. 

Bjorn the Second, Day 17:

With the village of many dangers lurking before him, Bjorn considers his next move. For one such as he, the village contains many fewer treasures than for most. What might he find of use? Charges for his thunderstaff would be most welcome. Fat for his oil lamp, stones for his blades. And of course, medicine. 

He ventures to the supply station. He approaches it carefully from the rear, before breaking down the door. Inside, there is little of use. Mostly just heaps of disgusting chocolate bars, pwah! The temperature feels like 0 degrees in here, and while it keeps him from hypothermia, it will not warm him to venture further. Resting in the present hovel would take 3 hours to fully warm himself, and Bjorn has no such time! He had been previously well fed, so it was no great sacrifice to not east last night, but he'd best make plans for a meal this eve. He rests for two hours, then ventures forward. The lot across the way shall surely have mushrooms! 

Picking his way carefully past the local wildlife, he finds some of the precious fungi, but no great haul. 3-4 wolves seem to now be surrounding his waystation. While he could venture past them into the village, he has a more cunning plan. Sneaking his way closer, he tracks one of the beasts. There are many about, so this may be dangerous. Notching an arrow, he crawls towards is. But what luck is this? It turns, and walks back towards the supply depot. Bjorn quickly stands up, exposing this silent hunter to all that may prey upon him, and lets the arrow fly! His aim is true, and the beast collapses dead, a mere fathom from the door!

He scurries inside and warms himself for an hour. Coming back out, the carcass is not yet frozen, so he takes his knife to it and removes the entrails and hide. He is not yet freezing, but he cannot be still with so many foes about, and with such a strong sent. He dumps the offle inside to cure, and steps back out. Now it is hardening, so he makes quick work with his saw. 5.4 KG! This wolf had gorged himself on elk, or possibly the flesh of lesser men... 

Bringing his haul inside, Bjorn checks his supplies. While he has sufficient mushrooms for 16 potions, none are brewed. He warms himself for an hour, then steps out the back door. He's in luck! While the sun is lowering, it is still a clear day, and he may use his sunstone to light a fire. He removes a torch, then returns inside. Lighting a brazer, he brews two more goblets of his drought of living death. He stuffs himself full of wolf, drinks his potion, then crashes into bed, at half health. 

When he awakens, he's in an odd spot. The poison has ran it's course, but having gone to bed after an uncommonly short day, Bjorn has no need for further sleep. He'll need to make plans for a time to heal. 

Bjorn the Second, Day 18: 

Being unwilling to venture into the cold and dark in his current state and dress, Bjorn passes the time for an hour, then reads a book of potion making. By the time he's finished the remaining two hours, it is full daylight. He cautiously slips outside, then heads for the village. 

He's already half way to freezing by the time he reaches the first house. This place seems... different. Like something half remembered in a dream. He rummages through half of the village before the cold and the weight get to him. Much of what he's found is useless, but he's gained some lantern oil, lots of water from this pristine dispensing bowls, and two bottles of medicine! Enough for 6 whole nights of fettered sleep! He makes his way to the greathouse, skipping the rest for now. There is little here of value, so he starts a new book on potion making, then goes to sleep. There is just enough left in his stomach to last him through the night, so he shall wake up strong and hearty tomorrow! 

Bjorn the Second, Day 19: 

Bjorn spends his morning hoping around the village, trying to gather what he may from the houses. Little to be found but water and some lamp oil, but there are mushroom stumps near the school house, and by another wrecked building. Bjorn had never considered ever storing any of his precious shrooms, but it's starting to seem like he should leave caches at his regular haunts, as the bag grows heavy! 

He spends some time in a random house, along the road to the farm, to warm himself. By the time he's regained the feeling in his hands and slipped out, it's late afternoon, and a thick fog has descended. Being an oft overconfident fool, Bjorn ventures forth into the mist...

A clever man might advise that approaching the wolf ridden farm with little viability is foolhardy. A cunning strategist might point out the running towards a locked door without proper clothing is a great misjudgment. A seasoned tactician could posit that diving into such dangers without plans for food to heal with is utter madness. It would seem that Bjorn is none of these things. 

Following along the road, he turns towards the farmhouse. He goes carefully a few steps at a time, ears alert for the pitter patter of evil feel. He hears no paw crunch upon snow, but a growl and a dark shadow burst out of the grey, none the less! Before he can fire, the monster is upon him, tearing at his face. He strikes back with his axe, but his blows refuse to find their mark. As the beast finally breaks off, Bjorn can already see another in the thinning fog.

Hiding behind a tree, he wraps a quick bandage around his head; the smell of blood will not do now! He bolts to the nearest shelter, the blue wagon. His health is down below a third, it is far too cold in this death trap, and there is a wolf staring at him through the window. No sign of a key in the truck. The wolf walks right by him, but is eventually out of his site. The creature is surely near, but Bjorn will freeze to death if he lingers. 

Stepping out with a slam of the door, he takes a few crawling steps, then bolts to the farm house. As he expected, it is locked. He races to the barn, and lights a fire; there's no time to wait, so he dumps grease onto it. He's no time to wait for coal, but may get the blaze to temp with what wood he has on him. He gazes around the building, hugging the brazer for warmth. A man has been brutally clawed to death. Bjorn darts over, and finds the precious key to the farm house's lock! Warming just a little more by the fire, he makes some fish hooks to calm the fear from his mind, then with a quick glance for wolves, and a prayer that Loki is not toying with his fate, he sprints to the farm house. 

Safety, safety at last. But with an empty stomach, he cannot hope to mend tonight. He goes to bed without food, in hopes that the morning will present a solution, such as the body of the wolf that maimed him. 

Day 20: 

Bjorn starts a fire in the stove, and brews both fine grounds and sacred herbs. This simple potions may help him this day. He drinks the grounds for their warming effect, and to keep up his energy. He takes a torch from the stove, and steps into the pre-dawn light. It's bitterly cold, and the drink won't last long. There's no sight or sound of crows, so perhaps his wolf survived. A pity. There's no sign of any wolves, but they are almost certainly stalking about somewhere. 

Looking across the fields, he sees three stags. At least there are not likely to be wolves between them. He runs towards the creatures, watching his warmth fall steadily. This will be a tight hunt, with no time to make chase, and little practice with the bow since his last ride from Valhalla. He lines his arrow upon a stag, raises his site a little, sways gently to the direction it wanders, then lets fly. 

A hit! Straight into the neck the arrow pierces, and the creature falls. But there's no time to celebrate. With a flash of steel, Bjorn's knife works quickly. Three steaks are cut, with no time for further gathering. The wolves will already be smelling the blood. He runs back to the farmhouse, aware of the dark shadows stalking towards him. But he reaches his goal before they reach theirs. It's not yet mid-day, but Bjorn stuffs his gullet, drinks his potion and throws himself into dreams. 

He's awake before full dark. With no ailment but poor health affecting him, he takes a little time to read. Soon it grows too dark. Fearing the hunters outside, Bjorn never the less briefly steps out to lay a rabbit trap - while he was fighting to survive, he'd noticed one scurrying about. He quickly returns inside, and waits for his eyes to droop. His belly should still be sufficiently full. He drinks his herbal remedy, then sleeps as hard as he may. 

Bjorn the Second, Day 21: 

Bjorn has battled away from catastrophe, but still feels trapped by these damnable wolves! They have not yet been seen before the farm house, but he can often hear them as he comes and goes, as thought they lie in wait for him. 

They shall wait, no more, the time has come to finish this. 

Bjorn takes the remaining scrap of meat from last night, and wanders a little ways in front of the house. He hears the bark, but cannot see a wolf. Soon, his nerve leaves him, and he steps back inside. Giving himself a little time to warm up, he tries again. This time he drops the meat on the ground, and backs off, crouching in wait. A wolf sneaks along the fence, barely seen over the snow bank. It takes the bate, and Bjorn quickly rises to lose an arrow at the beast, but he tries to rush it, and fails to make the quick shot he'd desired. The wolf makes haste away from him, but in a straight line; Bjorn raises his bow and lets fly. 

The arrow harmlessly buries in the snow. 

The wolf hurries on his way, so Bjorn grabs his arrow, and thinks to try another tactic. There are still two deer in the fields, so mayhaps he can drive one into the wolf zone, then have done with it. Running around the fields, with the chill entering his bones, Bjorn approaches a stag. But what sorcery is this? The beast turns and runs towards him! Approaching the other, it does the same! It seems that they have no inclination to be wolf bait today. 

Returning to the farm, Bjorn grabs a rabbit caught in a snare. He still hears a bark as he brings it inside. Giving himself no time to warm up, he crouches and slips back out the front door. The wolf has been confused, and Bjorn quickly slays it with an arrow. Taking the beast down so close to home shall be a boon. But there's no time to carve it in this cold. Bjorn passes time in bed, before returning to harvest the animal. One more to go. 

Carrying a piece of meat, Bjorn slinks back to the doorway. He sees black fur passing under the fence. He tries to shoot it, but the arrow into splinters against the fence. Only one arrow remains. As the wolf comes around the bank, Bjorn fires his last fletchling. It strikes flesh, but nothing of substence. He can see the arrowing bounding up and down as the wolf runs. With any luck, the creature will die somewhere near, and Bjorn may retrieve his arrow. 

He finishes a book on potion making, the goes back outside to find his kill. While not near, the wolf is a reachable distance. He carves it in two trips. This should now be enough wolf hide to make a fine coat, if he can gather them all into one place. 

After yet another warming break, Bjorn returns to the site of the stag he killed, desperate to live those days ago. Lighting a fire for warmth, he gets to work. Coal is needed, so he piles it on, and finishes harvesting. For the first time in several days, he breathes easy, not sensing an impending doom in the air. He returns to the farmhouse, eats, and faces his demons. 

Bjorn the Second, Day 23. Wait, 23? Damn, this broken circadian rhythm his hard to track accurately:

After his normal sleep, wait, nap cycle, Bjorn steps out into a bright new day. What should his next task be? He has a fine supply of meats and hides, but it will not be safe to move the crafting supplies for several more days. For now, he takes a quick trip around the farm to check on mushrooms, now that they are no longer patrolled. It seems he'd already collected them, but he adds a fine birch sapling to his haul, and heads back in to warm up. The water is getting low, so he sets out to take the remaining meat from one of the wolves (thinking he'd taken it all yesterday must have been a fever dream). The weather is cold but still, so he starts a fire, and adds coal when ready. The beast lay next to a fallen tree limb, so Bjorn chops it down as well, while boiling two pots of water. He uses the remaining time to brew various potions. 

Dropping the unneeded supplies by the farm house, he checks his snare. Another rabbit joins his feast! As he brings is home, he hears a growl, and nearly jumps out of his boots! Surely the monsters must not have yet returned! He leaves the poor creature inside, then steps out to see, sure as Thor's hammer, a wolf investigating in his direction. The beast has not yet seen him, so he bares his thunderstaff, and shoots it dead. Taking a few trips, he harvests the whole thing, but leaves a small scrap of meat, in hopes of this body being a warning to others! 

Bjorn had hoped to have a few days of peace, possibly enough time to haul his wears out of this cruel place. But alas, such fortune was not to be. As night falls, he eats his fill, drinks deep of his sacred potion, and fades to the terrors of the night. 

Thanks everyone! It's been fun coming up with a challenge that genuinely re-writes my play style. And I'm glad that I've finally managed to be disiplined enough to write more than one or two survival logs. Doing it as a character has definitely helped! 

Bjorn the Second, Day 24: 

With supplies to last, and only one wolf on the prowl, Bjorn his little to do, besides wait for hides to cure. He gathers sticks and saplings behind the hills of the farm, before returning for a warming nap, and to heal a little, while his hunger is still satiated. He is in good enough health that carefully planning a proper beauty sleep is not needed; a nap here and there should do. 

Still looking to pass time, his viking muscles are starting to twitch being so cooped up. He sneaks carefully past the wolf - while he could kill it, his weapons are in short supply, and he has no need of the creature's flesh - and makes his way over the hill, to the holy grounds. The cold is still biting, and wolves roam in packs. He treads carefully inside, and finding nothing, warms himself in a makeshift bed. 

He carefully leaves this hallowed, haunted place, and journeys back to the farm, gathering several saplings along the way. With nothing else to pass the time, and his stomach not yet empty, he sleeps into early night, tears into the piles of dripping, raw meat, and drugs himself to sleep. 

Day 25: 

There is still little to do, and these hides taunt him. He can make no clothing out of them yet! Perhaps when some of the guts dry, he'll began to move them all along towards his real home. He checks his snares, then starts a fire in the barn. He waits a few hours, boiling water and brewing. The tedium is maddening! He would love to go exploring, as a real adventurer should, but it would be a foolish risk. Until he has some real clothes, a mad adventure would only be proving himself a fool. He goes back to sleep, barely needing it, and still not in need of food. 

Days 25-28: 

Bjorn accepts that adventure needs wait, and starts to bring the hides he needs back to the overlook above the rope that will lead him back to his cozy little cottage. Hopefully, they will keep on curing in this place. He waits for the guts to cure back at the farmhouse, not wanting to become a snack for wolves. Days pass, making water in the barn, eating through his supplies, and transporting useful resupply items like wood, water, and oil to the lookout. And of course, alternating periods of peaceful slumber and vivid nightmares. 

Day 29:

Bjorn leaves most of his firewood and water in the overlook. It will be useful when he'll need to make camp here in future, and allows him to carry all of his cured/curing goods. Just light enough for the rope, he descends into the valley. There's no sign of a wolf, and the cave is once more full of coal. After a quick nap, he leaves the hides that are not quite ready, takes what of the coal he can carry, and climbs up the other side. He's nearly freezing by the time he reaches the tunnel, but from here the journey is only the light step of marching home. He gathers some sticks and coal, as he strolls, humming deeply to himself. It echos in the cave gloriously! 

He steps into the light, and there is his little cottage. His peaceful home, which he will soon leave, properly provisioned for a full journey! 

He's exhausted and cold by the time he scrapes his boots off on the step. Lighting the stove, he puts two pots of water on the boil. Travelling light meant committing to this task once home! Carefully selecting the skins, he works on making a beautifully warm pair of mittens for an hour. Taking the water off the stove, he quickly clears the trap outside which has a gift waiting for his return. The meat his kept on the door step has little left to it... He eats his fill, but tomorrow he will need to start looking for new supplies. He downs his potion, and climbs into bed, ready to face the terrors of the night. 

I'm curious, how much time do you dedicate to sleeping?

It's my understanding you don't heal while you're poisoned. You need 10h to sleep off the poison, then you also need the time for the healing sleep, not to mention you need to be fatigued to heal-sleep and you're not after napping 10h curing the poison.

How do you manage?

Bjorn the Second, Day 30: 

Bjorn wakes as eager as a youngling at Yuletide! He goes straight to work, and afore long, his mittens are completed! He is so close to being fully dressed. Sure, 85% of his body is bare, but that part hardly counts! 

To finish the day, he goes back down the into the valley, to grab more coal, and the rest of his hides. Back at his hut, he takes a quick inventory. There are not enough skins here to make coat or pants, but the leftovers at the great camp house should make the difference. He half fills is stomach with the last of his meat, and drinks his potion. 

25 doses remain - an incredible bounty! 

Tomorrow he must find food, and hopefully begin work on the rest of his clothes. Mayhaps he'll try fishing, as he works. 

20190207000924_1.jpg

3 minutes ago, tulkawen said:

I'm curious, how much time do you dedicate to sleeping?

It's my understanding you don't heal while you're poisoned. You need 10h to sleep off the poison, then you also need the time for the healing sleep, not to mention you need to be fatigued to heal-sleep and you're not after napping 10h curing the poison.

How do you manage?

That's the issue I've been having with losing track of what day it is. So it depends on how much damage I take. If I can end the day around 80%, then I don't worry too much about sleep-healing. I'll hopefully pick up a few percent while awake, the next day, and try to catch a 1-2 hour nap. It won't heal me all the way, but it will move me up. 

If I have a day with a lot of cold damage, or that one time I got attacked by a wolf, then I have to manage my sleep more carefully. I'll often end up poisoning myself and going to bed during the night, wake up rested but not healed as it hits morning, then try to find a way to kill 6 hours or so. If I've managed to make that during waking hours, I'll try to do something useful. At the farm house where not much needed my attention, I often just passed time. I'll then usually sleep for another 4-8 hours. But the big key is to start sleeping again while there's still enough food in my stomach to cover it. 

So some days I sleep for 14-18 hours, but I probably also have like a 30 hour "day". Of course, some days I just don't eat, so a normal sleep is fine. Not that it heals me at all, but I at least only spend 10 hours in bed. 

At some point, Cabin Fever is going to be a huge danger. Hopefully I'll be wrapped in bear skins by then... 

Archived