Alternative Column Button Input Control

Ice Hole

The keyboard and mouse control could use an alternative button column.  This extra button input column would allow for example to use spare mouse buttons for movement and walk using one hand; or have a keyboard button as a the select button and set to repeat to make picking many items in a pile a little less tedious.  The game is geared for a controller but this simple addition would show some love toward us keyboard warriors.

8 hours ago, U47 said:

I have my mouse programmed to drop a decoy and to walk. 

When my mouse failed me last year I went out and purchased the standard two button and wheel type.  Cheap simple design from logitech.  The gaming mouse is on my radar since something ergonomic is a preference.  The one hand walk is something I would like to try and upgrading the mouse to access programmable buttons seems an interesting way to achieve it.  Very hot :fire:, thanks for the information. 

@Ice Hole I've been waiting for a thing like this for a while now and since it's not coming I gave up and used @U47's idea.

I use X-Mouse (here's a link: https://www.highrez.co.uk/downloads/xmousebuttoncontrol.htm)
And this is my configuration - The Long Dark XMBC Profile.xmbcp (attached file)

I use a profile that is active only in TLD and has the following key settings:
[Middle mouse] (wheel key) is set to imitate "Space bar" with 3rd setting  - "press on down, release on up" (the same way it works with the space key) to use for radial menu and for skipping time while cooking.
[Mouse button 4] (back key) to imitate "I" to open inventory and set with 1st setting - "as mouse button is pressed" (the same way it works for the inventory key).
[Mouse button 5] (forward key) is set to "Button held:custom option "to imitate "W" for walking and it's set with 8th setting - "held down until button is pressed again" which allows me to press it once (without holding) for the character to start walking and then to press it again for the character to stop. This allows for autowalking.
And then if the [Mouse button 5] (forward key) is held for 500 miliseconds is set to "{SHIFT}W", again with 8th setting - "held down until button is pressed again" - so if you hold for half a second your character will run until you press the button again.

If you want to use these settings you can install the software and import my file.

6 hours ago, Ice Hole said:

@Mystix This makes me want to go purchase a multi button mouse.

I will try this out to enable auto walk on the middle button, thanks.

Do yourself a favor and get one, even if the cheapest one around. It's one of these things like the dishwasher or the air conditioner - it just makes your life easier and once you try there's no going back. Even for everyday things or at work it's so useful to have a forward and back key right beneath your thumb, or even one or two more useful buttons for quick switch between windows or for copy and paste.

Archived