Hold the Hoover Sticks key

NardoLoopa

Landing the UI dot on a stick to pick it up is a pain right in the kiester. I cannot imagine trying to do this with a joystick.  With the mouse, I think I have developed a knack for it, but I still end up missing sometimes.

And since there aren't containers next to all fires, dropping all your 90 sticks on the ground is a normal thing.  Then picking them all up is 110 or so clicks (because some miss).

What about using CAPSLOCK as a key that when toggled hoovers up any sticks you walk over?  Or if not a toggle, then just a key you hold down to hoover.

Once I get to camp the first thing I like to do is shed all weight and then scout out the area.  Drop as much gear which makes the character move faster then go out scoping the immediate area around camp.  So I too get board of the pick up sticks game but on the positive we can watch water boil while we pick them up.

If the key layout had an alternatives column then another key could be set up on the keyboard to repeat.  Already game controllers can run scripts that can achieve this repeat effect and if I took time maybe find a tool for keyboards and mice.  

Alternatively, shouldn't we be able to bind (i.e. craft) the sticks into a bundle of, say, 25 before dropping them so that we could pick up the entire bundle later with just one click (in much the same way we craft 24 for rose hips into 1 prepared rose hips).  Once we pick up the bundled sticks, we could have an option to breaking the binding in the crafting menu and use the sticks one at a time or just throw the entire bundle of 25 onto the fire which would have the same effect as throwing 25 sticks onto a fire individually.  Well, maybe bundles of 10 would be better.

Edited by UpUpAway95
  • Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, Doc Feral said:

I again throw in the suggestion that when you drop stuff while standing still it should form a "stack" or "pile", whick would act as a one-way container (you can take stuff from it but not add).

Isn't that how it works now?  The only issue is that you can "open" the pile to see everything that's hidden inside it.  I don't know how many times I've accientally dropped my mag lens while unloading wood and had to resort to pickin gup the entire wood pile again, one plank, stick, and book at a time to retrieve the mag lens (which for some reason seems to always sink to the bottom of the pile even though it's often the last think I drop (caused by the fack that emptying a slot in the interface will cause the pointer to default to the first square, which is where my mag lens usually is).

2 hours ago, UpUpAway95 said:

dropped my mag lens while unloading wood and had to resort to pickin gup the entire wood pile again,

This happens to me too.  The issue is this is an interloper world problem.  The other players do not pick sticks as much as interlopers must do.  The idea to bundle sticks is around the wish list often, it is a good idea.

The time taken to pick up the piled sticks now is the time it would take to craft the 25 stick bundle (maybe add time).  Using  birch bark to make the cordage would give me a good reason to pick that stuff up too; I am certain that cattail is the favourite tinder choice for interlopers.  If the bundled pile could add a bonus like increasing burn time then other players in the different skill levels might start to pick up sticks. 

Picking up sticks is the grind for interlopers but maybe it is a good grind.

3 hours ago, UpUpAway95 said:

Isn't that how it works now?

No, it isn't

What I meant is that hovering your cursor upon the pile it wouldn't read the single object, but a collective thing (called "stack", "pile" or the like) you could click on and see the grid like when you open a locker. Then you'd be able to scroll through it and take things out (not adding more since it would be too similar to a real container) leaving the rest in place.

3 hours ago, Doc Feral said:

No, it isn't

What I meant is that hovering your cursor upon the pile it wouldn't read the single object, but a collective thing (called "stack", "pile" or the like) you could click on and see the grid like when you open a locker. Then you'd be able to scroll through it and take things out (not adding more since it would be too similar to a real container) leaving the rest in place.

3 hours ago, Doc Feral said:

I see a problem with no defined boundary to the pile and no defined weight limit either.  What if, simply by standing too closing to an older pile, a player drops a new pile close enough that the game overlaps the hit box for each pile.  I think a crafted cedar chest (or whatever player-made container design is acceptable) would avoid this sort of issue.

Edited by UpUpAway95

16 minutes ago, UpUpAway95 said:

What if, simply by standing too closing to an older pile, a player drops a new pile close enough that the game overlaps the hit box for each pile.  I think a crafted cedar chest (or whatever player-made container design is acceptable) would avoid this sort of issue.

Not trying to play designer here, but standing near a pile could negate the "drop" option, like you can't drop stuff in cars even if they actually have a floor; it wouldn't be too crazy.
Crafting a crate would be a great addition, but my point was to make it less painful when you have to rearrange your load en route, not cave makeover.

1 minute ago, Doc Feral said:

Not trying to play designer here, but standing near a pile could negate the "drop" option, like you can't drop stuff in cars even if they actually have a floor; it wouldn't be too crazy.
Crafting a crate would be a great addition, but my point was to make it less painful when you have to rearrange your load en route, not cave makeover.

That would be a pain when entering a shelter (e.g. the camp office) at night and wanting to just drop some of the load before heading up to bed so that I can sort it in the morning.  I often wind up dropping the load onto hides I've got curing.  I'd hate to have to dance around in the dark to find a clean space of floor not too close to an old pile just to be able to drop things for sorting out later in better light.

1 hour ago, Doc Feral said:

You know, I'm starting to think there's a reason no such mechanics exists. Too much trouble.:D

They could just add a "bundle sticks" to the crafting menu. You could then "harvest" the bundle to break it back down. That would be the easiest implementation.

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...
Guest kristaok

I haven't had an issue yet with picking up mass stuff, I just keep clicking away... but maybe that's because I am on a laptop. :P 

Guest kristaok

I will admit, you can definitely tell my laptop mouse thing has definitely been used lol... the left button thingy is kind of more floppy, like it moves more than the right one. 

I think an easier solution would be to be to make (excuse my immaturity, but it is a proper term in this use) faggots, or bundles of sticks. You could add a crafting option that lets you turn ten sticks into a "bundle of sticks" that would simply drop as a new item. This bundle would burn more efficiently if added to a fire, and could be broken back down at any time to reclaim your sticks.

I personally have never had an issue with this. I always carry 5 sticks on me and typically leave a handful in front of my fire sources. Right before starting a new fire, I pick up one stick and use that as my starting fuel as it has a higher start chance than anything but books.

• Upvote 1