Willy Pete

What do you folks think about adding a sweating mechanic to the game? It would be as simple as if feels like temperature goes above 98.6F (or whatever the C equivalent is) you get an extra tick mark on your water decrease level.

It's probably rare for most folks to have the feels like temperature to go this high, but it feels a little odd being next to a roaring furnace for hours on end, beating on white-hot metal while wearing however many layers and not having some sort of "too hot" penalty. If memory serves, sweating is something that you really want to avoid in cold weather survival situations as sweat can freeze and over-cool you plus dehydrate you faster. I feel like it definitely has a place in TLD.

It's not rare at all.  I started a campfire in a very large, open cave (the one just below Marsh Ridge).  Air temperature outside the cave was -23C.  My clothing warmth bonus was 21C.  There was a wind chill outside the cave (blizzard raging).  After the mandatory 1/2 wait, I added precisely 1 coal to extend the burn time to just over 6 hours and went to sleep for 6-hours.  When I woke up, the fire was "embers."  Air temperature was 40C (104F), wind chill 0C, and Feels Like temperature was +61C (that's 141.8F).  Outside the cave, the air temperature was still -23C.  Apparently, regardless of your surroundings, fire temperatures will climb as you add fuel and not decline until the fire goes right out.  In reality, a cave that large would never have reached a 40C air temperature with a single campfire.   Until this mechanic is changed, I'm against introducing any sort of "sweating" penalty.  If they find a way for the fire mechanic to behave more realistically, then perhaps some response to being overheated could then be reasonably introduced.

I wouldn't mind since the only time I see myself in this situation is while forging, and that's the exact moment you have too much water. Problem is, it would be based on Feels Like temperature and could be trigger even without a fire... Unless you add a "forging" detection" (AT>xx°C) or adding Code to put a "water price" on some activities, but then that would be a lot of code for very few gaming interest...

Archived